Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to Packeteers

Re: MTA Shutdown

Lots of rain all day and a few hours of sustained, very strong wind last night. No major problems anywhere around downtown where I am. Some flooding, debris, and power issues as one heads away from the core. The heavy damage was to our east, getting progressively heavier the further east one goes.

I lived in FH for a while long ago.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to DC DSL
In addition to what DC wrote. If it's salt water in the tunnels, it will cause corrosion. The electrical distribution system must be carefully checked and repairs made. You just just can't turn on a switch. There is a strict procedure that must be followed for the safety of all personnel working. The signaling system is very complex. All track circuits must be checked as well as the relays. Problem that the TA will face is that most of the signaling relays used are original and no longer manufactured.
It will be a long process to get the system running.
--
Train Yourself To Relax...Ride The New Haven Railroad! Weather or No...Go New Haven!
The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co.:1872-1968. Serving New York and the Great Industrial States of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Pathfinder
10/30:PM Ten subway tunnels under the East River in New York were flooded, leading the Metropolitan Transit Authority to declare: "The New York City subway system is 108 years old, but it has never faced a disaster as devastating as what we experienced last night." Subway service was unlikely to resume for four to five days, Bloomberg said, but free bus service had resumed on a Saturday schedule, and about 4,000 cabs were running on city streets.

why make buses free? because you can't go down into the subway stations to buy a metro card that works on the bus?

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Packeteers:

why make buses free? because you can't go down into the subway stations to buy a metro card that works on the bus?

Probably that ... and I am sure a lot of people below 37th street who are without power will need to head far north or to Brooklyn / Queens to get groceries and other essentials.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
Buffalo, NY
Also probably for those who have cars to use the buses in order to keep the roads open for both emergency & utility vehicles.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder
Saw this in my walk today. About 2 blocks from my home.

Used BMW for sale

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to Pathfinder
Some good news. Partial subway service returns on Thursday, 11/1.

1 242 St - 42 St/Times Sq
2 241 St/White Plains Rd - 42 St/Times Sq (exp. 96-42)

4 Woodlawn - 42 St/GCT (lcl)
4 Borough Hall - New Lots (lcl)
5 Atlantic Av - Flatbush Av (exp)
6 Pelham Bay Pk - 42 St/GCT (lcl)

S Grand Central - Times Sq Shuttle

A 168 St - 34 St/Penn Sta (lcl)
A Jay St/Metrotech - Lefferts (lcl)

D 205 St - 34 St/Herald Sq (lcl)
D Atlantic Av - Bay Pky (exp to 36th)
F 179 St/Jamaica - 34 St/Herald Sq (lcl)
F Jay St/Metrotech - Avenue X (lcl)
M Metropolitan Av - Bway/Myrtle

J Jamaica Ctr - Hewes St (lcl)

N Ditmars Blvd/Astoria - 34 St Herald Sq (lcl)
R Jay St/Metrotech - 95 St/Bay Ridge (lcl)

Shuttle buses from Atlantic Av/Barclays, Jay St/Metrotech, and Hewes St to 57/Lex in Manhattan

LIRR - limited hourly service between Jamaica and Atlantic Av/Brooklyn.

I hope that people will have the good sense to not pretend it's a normal 9-5 day and will stagger their travel times or stay home. On a good day, the QB mainline is a fustercluck; with a lone route making all stops between Jamaica and midtown it will be an atomic meltdown if everyone is stupid and tries to be to work by 9 or leave at 5. Ditto for the Lex, and the trains running in Brooklyn. Those shuttle buses are probably going to be overwhelmed worse than the trains...especially if they don't impose lane restrictions in Manhattan so the buses get dedicated lanes just for them.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
I need to be in for work at 3 tomorrow. I plan on leaving around 1. The trip is usually an hour so I am giving myself an extra hour. I hope the Shuttle buses at Atlantic aren't insane. It's going to be fun when I leave at 11pm to come home as well. 57/Lex is only a few blocks from where I work so that is one of the main reasons I am deciding to go in.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
I would head out 12:30 or even noon.

Lordy, all it will take is one train laying down and there goes the railroad. Reroutes won't be an option since there likely are lots of trains still laid-up on the express tracks and turning capacity at the terminals will limit service to about 10-12tph during peak.

Good luck, y'all.
--

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder
I called out. After seeing images of all the people waiting for the shuttle buses and the fact that the MTA stopped running buses last night in lower Manhattan cause their is no power put a bad taste in my mouth. I tried calling 511 and apparently they aren't answering. 311 had no information if the shuttle buses were running 24/7. If anyone here takes the shuttle bus from Manhattan to Brooklyn and it's actually running when it's dark out please post. It's insane that the MTA would be so secretive about this.

edit : I also texted 311 and they never responded, so much for getting a quick response using that method Mayor Bloomberg.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Pathfinder
I heard that there will be not buses (regular routes or shuttles) after dark south of 34th street. A friend who lives downtown and said much of the same; no buses after dark last night.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
Thank you for that post. I figured that much but it would really be nice if the MTA stated this. My supervisor was not happy that I was calling out but how was I suppose to get home at 11pm? It's not like they would pay for a cab or anything.

Edit: Here is a link of no buses running in lower Manhattan last night

»www.nypost.com/p/news/lo ··· hh9IG6rK

--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder
Communication has been poor all around. Even one of the radio hosts (forgot what station) was really Pi$$ed off because the city told everyone you needed 3 or more people to drive in EXCEPT for the GWB however come this morning, people taking the GWB into the city were told they weren't allowed to enter without 3 or more people in the vehicle.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder
Just had a friend who got home from the city taking the Manhattan shuttle to Brooklyn. The driver believed that the shuttle buses were running 24/7 cause he said there was someone else who was about to go on shift soon. She said he was very uncomfortable driving in lower Manhattan and across the bridge. This was around 6pm when it was just starting to get dark. I now have to be in work for 6am tomorrow. I hope these buses are running 24/7 or at least start up again at 6am like they did today.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Google Voice
·Verizon FiOS
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
reply to Pathfinder
I've been taking my car from The Bronx to the Whitestone, to the Jackie Robinson then Atlantic to downtown Brooklyn. It's one hell of a costly detour but I've made it to my job in 50 minutes door to door.

Next week I plan to brave the trains and the shuttle buses. Wish me Godspeed.

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
Buffalo, NY
»www.mta.info/sites/defau ··· ap_0.pdf

Here is the latest (as of Friday, 11/2) status of the operation of the Subway.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
I can't fathom the enormity of the task of restoring service to a system so huge and complex. Godspeed to all involved!

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
Buffalo, NY
reply to TrainBuff
More information as of today. (Friday, 11/2)
»www.mta.info/lirr/

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Network Guy
Well some power was restored in lower Manhattan a few minutes ago. Hopefully by Monday everything is restored and the Brooklyn Trains can finally run into Manhattan without a problem. I have to work Saturday and Sunday so it should still be fun for me. The commute wasn't to bad taking the shuttle bus at 6am, and I can only hope that since it's the weekend the line will be even shorter. It was scary as hell traveling in lower Manhattan in the pitch black.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
Buffalo, NY
I don't expect any trains from Brooklyn running into Manhattan for awhile due to the flooding of the tunnels. The electrical distribution and signaling systems most likely suffered quite a bit of damage and may take some time for repairs. I do hope that I'm wrong.
--
Train Yourself To Relax...Ride The New Haven Railroad! Weather or No...Go New Haven!
The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co.:1872-1968. Serving New York and the Great Industrial States of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to Pathfinder
Finally power is coming back. I have relatives in both NJ and NY and both of them got power back today.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TrainBuff
The governor said once the power is restored the F and R train can resume service into Manhattan within 2 hours. He did not mention anything about the D or N train which concerns me.

Edit : I still don't know if those shuttle buses are running 24/7. The latest
I know someone who has taken it was 8:30pm.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
I don't know what is going on, but technically there is no "dark" zone in Manhattan anymore.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
reply to MuDvAyNe
I think service over the Williamsburg and Mahattan Bridges (B/D/N/Q/J/M/Z) will be restored by Monday at the latest. The A/C and 4/5 tunnels are also high on the list for restoring.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
The 4 and the 5 were restored earlier today. I was able to catch the 6 take
The 5 to Atlantic and the D the rest of the way. So much less stressful and easier than the shuttle bus!! The N is still the easier way for me to get to work.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
Buffalo, NY
»www.mta.info/

Latest updates!

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to MuDvAyNe
The D is running through now. The Q and N are probably out for at least a few more days. Their rights-of-way were lakes with beaucoup debris in them.
--

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
Buffalo, NY
»www.flickr.com/photos/mt ··· os/sets/

Some pictures of the damage and restoration work.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
reply to TrainBuff
Anyone have any idea why the A is only going north to 168th St? I haven't heard of any damage north of that.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to DC DSL
Well, Q is back between Kings Hwy and Atlantic. F is running 179-Avenue X, and D is running 205th-Bay Parkway. Probably still issues with the Montague (R) tunnel and/or problems with the switches or other infrastructure along the Broadway BMT keeping the south side Manhattan Bridge (N/Q) tracks from rejoining the club. (It could also have something to do with why the J still isn't running south of Essex.)
--