uniqs

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

halfband

Premium Member

[WIN8] Windows 8 Media Center Pack keys

Getting the email reply for a Windows 8 Media Center Pack key is taking a rather long time.
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· re-packs
A comment was added to the web page to wait 24hrs and then check your junk mail, but it appears delays are now over 24hrs.
Downloading pro was a relatively smooth and quick process but it appears the media center server is getting hammered far in excess or expected demand. Users sending multiple emails when the first one does not get a quick reply probably compounds the issue severely.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

Click for full size
I put my first request for a free key in before Oct 26 th where the demand would have likely started to gear up. I believe I requested the first key on Oct 25 th and it took a little over 10 hours before receiving the key. I requested the second key a day later on Oct 26th if I recall correctly but I didn’t check to see if I received that one yet.

The Key worked fine though.

***edit***

Yeah, I received the other key on the 26th as well. Maybe I should put in for a few more as I have plans to buy maybe four or so Windows 8 Pro licenses in addition to the ones I already have.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to halfband

Premium Member

to halfband
I got my key within 24 hours.

halfband
Premium Member
Huntsville, AL

halfband

Premium Member

I just got one after about 36 hours.
HappyFrappy
join:2000-10-04
North

HappyFrappy to halfband

to halfband
Three days and still waiting for my Win 8 Media Center key... I'm going to roll back to Vista Home Premium during my lunch break, this is insane of Microsoft to make WMC a separate add-on
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Not really. They have good commercial reasons. I think they are acceptable.

MTBikerChris
Premium Member
join:2001-08-28
Erie, CO

MTBikerChris to halfband

Premium Member

to halfband
I download Win 8 pro early Friday Morning about 8 am my time and got my Key a few hrs later in the day ! why don't MS just add it to the main Ver of the SW for everyone !!

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to halfband

MVM

to halfband
I’ve used every publicly released version of Microsoft Media Center. Not casually mind you but intensively. So I have seen it develop over time from its early days to now.

I can assure you that in the early Windows XP Media Center days there was quite a few people clamoring for Microsoft to sell Media Center as an add-on. Initially Media Center couldn’t be acquired unless it was purchased with a certified OEM Media Center system, which, typically cost a considerable chunk of change. The later introduction of CableCard support in Media Center likewise resulted in the necessity of an OEM PC purchase in the ~$1000+ range. And so on,….

Ironically now that Media Center is actually a free add-on for a limited time and a relatively inexpensive add-on after that (~$10),….people still aren’t happy,……

I don’t think Media Center is long for this world anyway but there it is,…..

halfband
Premium Member
Huntsville, AL

halfband to MTBikerChris

Premium Member

to MTBikerChris
said by MTBikerChris:

why don't MS just add it to the main Ver of the SW for everyone !!

A lot of users do not use media center or play DVDs. The cost to license the codecs for this has become ridiculously high compared to the rest of OS so the OEMs asked microsoft to leave it out to keep the OS licensing costs down.
halfband

halfband to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I don’t think Media Center is long for this world anyway but there it is,…

That would be a shame as media center makes an excellent DVR. It is also one of the few products to work with cable card tuners. It is in my opinion one of the better products microsoft has ever produced. But I suspect your right as real development of the product ended years ago.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to halfband

MVM

to halfband
Click for full size
I just put in for a third key since I just bought another Windows 8 Pro license. 24hr wait apparently. Not a big deal IMO. I will point out that those who don’t want to wait can buy a key for ~$10 immediately.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to halfband

to halfband
Anyone actually have it installed? Has it changed any from Win7?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Yes I have the Windows 8 Media Center Pack installed on one system so far and no it is not significantly different then it's predecessor in Windows 7.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

said by Octavean:

Yes I have the Windows 8 Media Center Pack installed on one system so far and no it is not significantly different then it's predecessor in Windows 7.

In fact it is exactly the same as it was in Windows 7.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to halfband

Anon

to halfband
Got 3 keys for 3 copies of 8. I did have to reenter the form with same email when 48 hours pass, then an hour later it came after I tried it again.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to steelingbox

MVM

to steelingbox
said by steelingbox:

said by Octavean:

Feature wise yes but the version number is different under:

Tasks > General > About Windows Media Center > Software Version

Therefore I wouldn't call it exactly the same.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

said by Octavean:

said by steelingbox:

said by Octavean:

Feature wise yes but the version number is different under:

Tasks > General > About Windows Media Center > Software Version

Therefore I wouldn't call it exactly the same.

I have upgraded 3 of my media centers and I dont see any new features or even changes to features all ready available. The rev number change might have something to do with it being a separate program or some backend stuff.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

If it wasn't clear before all I was saying is that feature for feature its the same as far as I know, however, the version number is different. Therefore, due to that small difference it isn't "exactly" the same.

Pre-RTM Windows 8 Media Center also had a different version number.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to halfband

Premium Member

to halfband
I'm just glad they kept it.

Still not ready to get the $40 pro upgrade, but went ahead and made sure to get at least one media center key.

Suck that you also have to use it by the end of January. Kind of forces you to upgrade sooner, rather than later, if you want it.

For now, whether or not I upgrade by then, I'm just glad that it still exists, hasn't changed much, and is "free" even if only for a limited time, and only with "pro."

The one feature I wish they would have added was a simple GUI element to adjust the pause buffer

(For) Home theater enthusiasts who want to build a media PC later - it'll still be worth the extra cost to have this software compared to just about anything else on the planet, and MS knows it