Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94

Re: R4 for DS Lite?

DS lite should work with just about anyone at this point, if I'm reading you correctly.

Even if you get a 3DS later, it'd be worth hanging on to the DS lite then in order to update your flashcard(s) accordingly. But if you were talking about the 3DS, best thing I could suggest is the Supercard DStwo. Really good homebrew, and with its extra hardware, it actually can emulate for the GBA and SNES a bit better too, as well as the homebrew made for using its extra horsepower.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I am doing layaway of the DS Lite, the 100 dollar model. I will ship the device and some ROMs overseas to my boy. I was planning on keeping the R4 here so I could keep making ROMs for him, is that the way to do it? He doesn't have internet access.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

any of the DS flashcards you buy would have a slot for a microSD(HC) to insert; you would store the loader and whatever content you want it to have on the microSD. A few models also had their own internal storage, but you won't really see that anymore, since first it was expensive as heck by comparison, and secondly because many of those had since been blocked in firmware updates for any of the more recent DS models (namely, DSi and 3DS).

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to signmeuptoo94

MVM,

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

I am doing layaway of the DS Lite, the 100 dollar model. I will ship the device and some ROMs overseas to my boy. I was planning on keeping the R4 here so I could keep making ROMs for him, is that the way to do it? He doesn't have internet access.

You will need another DS Lite and R4 if you want to make your own dumps. The R4 is used to start a homebrew app that allows you to dump a retail game. Then you save it to your computer and mail it to him on an SD card or CD (and he'll put it on the SD card).

He'll also need another R4 to play the ROMs, obviously.