Search similar:

uniqs

RDeanna
@shawcable.net

RDeanna to bucko2012

Anon

to bucko2012

Re: [BC] Nelson shaw customers overpaying for something they can

I would happily consider switching to Telus if they were taking any more clients in my area, but they are not. Shaw is the ONLY option we have and they promised that it would be fixed this month at the latest. But hey thanks for your condescending and unhelpful reply.

bucko2012
@sasknet.sk.ca

bucko2012 to Saskfailed

Anon

to Saskfailed
Sasktel will never get bought out cause they crown corp. government buys them out THEN maybe yeah. Let me tell you one thing once infinet get out to everywhere and speeds will be way over what Shaw offers. Shaw will have alot to say bout their lousy service.

Saskfailed
@74.198.150.x

Saskfailed to bucko2012

Anon

to bucko2012
Telus is even worse in Nelson, more expensive less speed offered. I'd be more worried about Sasktel organizing a financial meeting same time RIM organized a BB one plus Sasktel has no money left, stalled upgrades, behind in firmware updates. Someone needs to buy them up to fix them.

bucko2012
@sasknet.sk.ca

bucko2012 to RDeanna

Anon

to RDeanna
RDeanna

Switch to telus if you can't put it up with this slow speeds, Shaw will never fix anything. they too cheap with their money, all they care bout their shareholders, you know that their stocks went up like mad for the last few months, it was 20.00 or so and now it is 23.66.

RDeanna
@shawcable.net

RDeanna to dualsport

Anon

to dualsport
Internet has been exceptionally slow the last couple days. Is shaw actually fixing this problem or just leading us on? How long do we put up with this?
dvo
join:2002-01-23
Canada

dvo to webweaver999

to webweaver999
It's been like that since September. You could actually see the capacity issues on a traceroute start at around 2~ PM when kids got home from school until just after midnight. 20~ ms to Kelowna becomes over 100 ms.

1 * * * [-]
2 13 ms 10 ms 9 ms [70.77.220.1]
3 130 ms 123 ms 128 ms rd1ht-tge1-2-8.ok.shawcable.net [64.59.173.162]
4 162 ms 132 ms 143 ms rd2ht-tge2-1.ok.shawcable.net [66.163.72.162]
5 149 ms 144 ms 160 ms [66.163.76.50]
6 147 ms 144 ms 145 ms [66.163.78.122]
7 * * 151 ms [66.163.68.85]
8 142 ms 140 ms 144 ms seattleix.xe-4-1-0.cr1.sea1.us.nlayer.net [206.81.80.218]

The xmas break made it a lot worse and as of now, at least in Genelle, shit goes down hill at 10~ AM. I'm sitting here downloading a PDF at 10 Kbps. Exciting!

I sent Shaw_Alex a PM last week asking for an update. I was told he'd update this thread. Nothing yet!
webweaver999
join:2013-01-28
Nelson, BC

webweaver999

Anyone else have such indredibly poor download speed tonight?

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6791.png
webweaver999

webweaver999

Nelson Shaw ~ who's paying for Broadband 50 and happy?

Just out of curiosity... anyone?
webweaver999

webweaver999 to dualsport

to dualsport

I switched from Telus to Shaw on Dec. 10th. Of course when I initially received the service @2 pm on a weekday my speed was an impressive 18Mbps. It's been all downhill from there and the screenshots in my Speedtests folder are piling up daily. I want proof for Shaw so yes I do speedtests at any given hour of the day as I work from home so access is an absolute MUST. Here's a snapshot of a few of my results and yes, I'm wired right in, NOT wireless:

Dec.10 ~ 2:10pm ~ 18.15 Mbps
Dec. 29 ~ 12:39am ~ 2.34 Mbps
Jan. 3 ~ 5:51pm ~ 7.96 Mbps
Jan. 9 ~ 11.25pm ~ 7.48 Mbps
Jan. 12 ~ 2:39pm ~ 2.63 Mbps
Jan. 13 ~ 12:18pm ~ 1.03 Mbps
Jan. 13 ~ 6:53pm ~ 0.40 Mbps
Jan. 14 ~ 1:54pm ~ 17.39 Mbps
Jan. 14 ~ 9:00pm ~ 0.34 Mbps
Jan. 17 ~ 11:47pm ~ 18.85 Mbps
Jan. 19 ~ 2:13pm ~ 6.41 Mbps
Jan. 19 ~ 4:35pm ~ 0.59 Mbps
Jan. 20 ~ 3:51am ~ 4.17 Mbps
Jan. 23 ~ 10:01am ~ 4.84 Mbps
Jan. 23 ~ 1:44pm ~ 13.64 Mbps
Jan. 23 ~ 1:55pm ~ 1.77 Mbps
Jan. 27 ~ 12:37am ~ 0.74 Mbps
Jan. 27 ~ 9:12pm ~ 0.17 Mbps

If all of you worked from home and depended on this service for a living like I do, what would you do? I can definitely count on one hand the number of times my speed has been in the double digits! I'm getting pretty livid.

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to urbancabin

to urbancabin
said by urbancabin:

...I use Shaw Speedtest at various times during the day, wired (not wireless) and see speeds that would probably average between 1-5 mbps.(I'm PAYING for 25 MBPS)

Who's the fool?
urbancabin
join:2013-01-17
Nelson, BC

urbancabin to brodie

to brodie
I have been dealing with slow internet speeds from Shaw as well.
I've had them come out and check everything from the pole in...the technicians tell me its all good, and that there is a major over saturation problem in the area.
Here is the real problem though: Shaw knows all about this, all the way up the chain, to senior management.(I've spoken to a number of managers) They know they cannot deliver anywhere close to 25 MBPS - BUT they are happy to keep charging consumers as if they are getting those speeds, they are also apparently happy to sign up new customers to high speed packages, hence the saturation problem.
I use Shaw Speedtest at various times during the day, wired (not wireless) and see speeds that would probably average between 1-5 mbps.(I'm PAYING for 25 MBPS) Evenings and weekends are hopeless. Using AppleTV to download a movie? Hopeless.

I really feel ripped off. I'd love to hear from others in the area that are aware of this....please email me directly : urbancabin(at) gmail.com . I have some interesting info to share.

brodie
@shawcable.net

brodie to BB250

Anon

to BB250
Nope, i was getting a discounted rate but they took that off the account several months ago.

Internet is useless, basic web pages take minutes to load at peak times.

If telus was available here i would have been gone years ago, this completely unacceptable...

My telus at the other house gets OVER what i pay for no matter what time of day.

BB250
@shawcable.net

BB250 to dualsport

Anon

to dualsport
I sure hope you are getting credits. When my BB250 could never break 130mbps I was credited every month untill it was fixed.

Just gotta call and keep them tied up on the phone, works well
ctylor
join:2006-03-15
Nelson, BC

ctylor

Now it is Saturday afternoon (12:05pm) on Dec 15th in Nelson on Shaw 20, and I get:

ping 48ms
download 4.71 Mbps
upload 0.42 Mbps

Improved but obviously the upgrade is still not in effect.
ctylor

ctylor to dualsport

to dualsport
Dec 8th, and still ungodly slow. How's progress, Shaw Alex?

8:45pm test, Saturday evening, on a Shaw 20 plan (20Mbps plan):

»speedtest.shaw.ca/

276ms ping
0.82 Mbps Download
0.17 Mbps Upload

Fred
@shawcable.net

Fred to Shaw_Alex

Anon

to Shaw_Alex
Will this also affect Castlegar? I have been wanting to get Shaw phone but it's not available.

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex to oven

to oven
I don't know when Broadband 250 will be available, but it is absolutely part of the plan with this new fibre line.
Step 1 is solving the existing problems.
-Alex
oven
join:2012-11-07
Nelson, BC

oven to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
I'm interested in a comment you made on in your post:
"We are in the final stages of bringing fibre from Calgary that will not only alleviate the saturation customers are experiencing but also provide our customers with all of next level services we’re able to offer in other regions."

Does this mean Shaw will be offering packages such as Broadband 250 here upon completion, "worst case scenario by mid February"? High upload speeds are something Telus lacks in this area.

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to dualsport

to dualsport
said by dualsport :

...Why do I pay them for 20, I never see it,...

Why don't you ask yourself that very question?

Are you purchasing this level of service under duress from someone at Shaw? Is this the lowest tier of service available? Does Telus not provide internet service at your residence?

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

1 recommendation

Shaw_Alex to dualsport

to dualsport
Hi everyone,
I wanted to jump in and provide a bit of information regarding the slow speeds issue in the Nelson area.

For those of you who don't know who I am, my name is Alex and I’ve been part of the Shaw Social Media team for a few years now. I've posted here in the past, but my main focus is on Facebook and Twitter. I work closely with Sean and with the launch of our own community, he's asked me to help out with the Shaw questions on DSLR.

We are in the final stages of bringing fibre from Calgary that will not only alleviate the saturation customers are experiencing but also provide our customers with all of next level services we’re able to offer in other regions.

We estimate this new connection will be available as early as mid December 2012, and worst case scenario by mid February. I’ll be sure to provide some updates as we enter December on how things are coming along.

We appreciate the patience of our customers who are currently experiencing degraded internet speeds, and we look forward to a resolution.
-Shaw_Alex
Expand your moderator at work
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur to Sandiy

to Sandiy

Clearly there is an issue, but there is a difference between having an issue and looking for help solving it, and having an issue and looking to blame someone for it.

Sandiy
@shawcable.net

Sandiy to dualsport

Anon

to dualsport
I do sympathize with the issue as I have had issues like that myself.

Posting how he is setup could have possibly solved this issue versus making multiple posts etc.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to Sandiy

to Sandiy
said by Sandiy :

I hate people posting over and over the same dribble of useless information.

I think we all get bothered by it, but we also should sympathize with his situation. If you are on this forum, you clearly love your "series of tubes".

Sandiy
@shawcable.net

Sandiy to dualsport

Anon

to dualsport
I don't doubt his claims either about slow speeds. I hate people posting over and over the same dribble of useless information.

Maybe he could get better results if we knew how he is setup. Modem, router, wired, wireless he has been asked a few times...
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to andyboy13

to andyboy13
said by andyboy13 :

Man, that really sucks... I'm on the other side of the border in Jasper, AB and speeds are finally good. That being said, it took shaw years to get the same issues you are having fixed, but now I have bb50 in jasper and at this time (7:15pm) I'm getting 41 down, that's about the slowest I have ever seen this connection. Most of the time I'll see 5.5MB/s to 6MB/s download speeds so closer to 50! Hope they fix it soon for ya!

Really glad to hear that.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame to dualsport

to dualsport
Also, some grain of salt on the SpeedTest statistics:

We have 8,585 users total, averaging 4.28Mbits each.
Let's hypothetically assume the spread between DSL users and Shaw
is 50/50, and let's hypothetically assume that the DSL users are
getting the 100% of their advertised 1.5Mbits on each test (fat chance)
Then we have 4,292 users getting 1.5Mbit everytime, which leaves us
Another 4,292 users getting no less than 7.06Mbits every speedtest

It sure isn't 20Mbit, but is very close to 80% of 10Mbit

andyboy13
@shawcable.net

andyboy13 to dualsport

Anon

to dualsport
Man, that really sucks... I'm on the other side of the border in Jasper, AB and speeds are finally good. That being said, it took shaw years to get the same issues you are having fixed, but now I have bb50 in jasper and at this time (7:15pm) I'm getting 41 down, that's about the slowest I have ever seen this connection. Most of the time I'll see 5.5MB/s to 6MB/s download speeds so closer to 50! Hope they fix it soon for ya!
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame to dualsport

to dualsport
Dualsport,

Forgive the side-strafing,
to be honest we all understand your problem,
forgoing the analogies and the bits vs bytes,
I'm sure you're actually getting 4.5Mbit vs expected 20Mbit.

This story is as old as Shaw,
and really beside the perpetual CSR-Support-TechnicianToHouse-Repeat, you've already went beyond by submitting the averages for your town.

So to acknowledge your concern:
YES, Shaw continually collects service fees for service that they advertise to have a certain amount of speed per second, yet in reality the service delivered is not up to advertised speeds.

NO, they do not proactively offer refunds, nor do they monitor each individual account for the performance.

YES, it is outrageous and deceptive.
NO, you are not the only one.
NO, this is not new.

YES, Shaw has given refunds and prorated adjustments on per-case basis.

The whole situation is location-specific, and in the end, you have to consider what is available to you locally, and if 4.51Mbits is the highest speed offered in Nelson (by Shaw), then that is what you will get. It is your responsibility to adjust your Internet plans according to the area - and NO it's not supposed to be - but it is what it is

dualsport
@shawcable.net

dualsport to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds
sound like shaw employees supporting my slow speeds as normal?

explain this to me, apples and apples I think I am using.

I have done numerous tests using speedtest.net or Shaw speed test.

I mean tests at random 24/7 3am 2pm you name it. even shaws CSR's have sent me to speedtest.net, trying to get me some numbers. These numbers are all I have, although there seems to be those who wish to deny these and suggest they don't count and are not accurate. They must have some validity! My speed tests this past day with either shaw speed test or speedtest.net is showing variations obviously but they are quadrupled from all my months beforehand, when I would see .8 1.4 4 etc etc, now I see 8.9 11.7 16.8 14.8 regularly on both, I will let you know in a month. Do you deny net index results from 8000 unique ip addresses in Nelson averaging 4.2 or so download speeds when we should all be shaw customers of their 10 and up packages. I had a problem, shaw fixed it, are they doing this knowingly? I have to believe they are fiddling with me, I think there is a network piece of equipment in my neighborhood they throttled up because of my complaints allowing me some speeds I now see on speed tests, or can they just give me a burst when they see me going to a speed test site? I think the subject is simple, Nelson is underserved now matter how you measure it, I know it, most others don't know and probably don't care.