share rss forum feed

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

WIFI to HOUSE Modem ROuters

I am trying to help a chap configure his router in another thread.
He is getting his signal via WIFI and there is a "conversion unit" on the roof. What is not clear is how they are handling the conversion. I need help from experts here that do this all the time in deciphering the most likely setup.

What he has stated.....
I received 2 public IP addresses from ISP and what I need to do is to create 2 completely independent networks, where first will have first IP address and its internet name and its own Exchange server and second will have second public IP, different internat name and again another mail server for different domain.

Details: They have some small box on the roof (converting WIFI to LAN). They gave me IP 192.168.60.139 and 192.168.60.140 with gateway 192.168.60.1 and DNS 192.168.60.1. And they said that they transparently translate public ip1 to 192.168.60.1 (1:1) and 192.168.60.140 to IP2.

Further he provides the following........ conflicting information on .139
they are translating my public IP xx.xx.118.221 to their private address 192.168.60.139 1:1
they are translating my public IP xx.xx.118.224 to their private address 192.168.60.140 1:1

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He is trying to feed his signals into a router for his setup etc.
The router can map Many to One and One to One and the latter can be configured to map to a DMZ IP (vice LANIP).

I am not sure what is even possible because it sounds like he has the same public IP mapped to two things on this conversion unit on the roof, the .60.1 address and the .60.139 address. Furthermore not sure if this will be a double nat scenario or not.

Help appreciated.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

Need a pic of the device so we at least have a clue of what it is...

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

No idea, I was hoping to get an understanding of the possible iterations on how WIFI to home modems and modem routers were setup by WISPS. Will endeavour to get a model number.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

said by Anav:

Will endeavour to get a model number.

Any additional information would help.

Trying to reduce the universe of possible solutions to just a galaxies worth.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to Anav

said by Anav:

Details: They have some small box on the roof (converting WIFI to LAN). They gave me IP 192.168.60.139 and 192.168.60.140 with gateway 192.168.60.1 and DNS 192.168.60.1. And they said that they transparently translate public ip1 to 192.168.60.1 (1:1) and 192.168.60.140 to IP2.

Further he provides the following........ conflicting information on .139
they are translating my public IP xx.xx.118.221 to their private address 192.168.60.139 1:1
they are translating my public IP xx.xx.118.224 to their private address 192.168.60.140 1:1

You have conflicting info. In one place you say one of the two reserved IPs is 192.168.60.1 and in another place you say it is 192.168.60.139. I think 192.168.60.1 is a typo since that is the GW/DNS and that it really is 192.168.60.139.

As for your terminology, not to nit pick, but the tower to house part is generally not referred to as WIFI but as fixed wireless or simply a WISP service. It may or may not be WIFI based. Also, the device at the house is usually called a CPE or SM, not a modem.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to Anav

I realize the tidbit I provided above probably gets you no closer to your goal. Since the sub did not get a small CIDR block with a mask, network and broadcast address, the router will need to do some fancy binding of both IPs to its WAN NIC. I don't recall you mentioning the brand and model of router.

The sub could put a switch before the router and use two routers, one for each IP. My upstream WISP for my hotspot gives me two reserved IPs and I use a switch between the SM and my hotspot router which is N:1 NAT'ed to one of them. The second IP I reserve for testing or ad-hoc deployments.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to Anav

What is the other thread?

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

No new information and mostly me answering with more confusing posts. Once I get the model and/or grow a brain I will come back and ask more questions.
Looks like a CZ issue so NA experience may not help.
»Zywall 2 Plus help needed with 2 public IP

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to LLigetfa

said by LLigetfa:

As for your terminology, not to nit pick, but the tower to house part is generally not referred to as WIFI but as fixed wireless or simply a WISP service. It may or may not be WIFI based. Also, the device at the house is usually called a CPE or SM, not a modem.

Good points but in case you don't visit forums that Anav See Profile is on, he has a really good grasp of networking from what I recall over the past 10 years. So while the terminology may not be correct for this forum, he does know the basics and much, much more.

bburley

join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

It sounds like the CPE (on the roof) has a built in router. That router cannot be using NAT or public IP mapping would not work.

The first simple test is to configure a computer with IP address 192.168.60.139 - Gateway 192.168.60.1 - and DNS1 to 192.168.60.1 or set DNS1 and DNS2 to the DNS servers of your choice.

Then google "what's my IP" and make sure that the website reports your public IP address.

Then change the computer to 192.168.1.140 and repeat the test. You should get the second public IP.

If the above works ok, then if the CPE does not have more than 1 port/cable available then you need a switch.

You can connect a single device with each address (.139 & .140) to the switch or if you need multiple devices then you need a separate router connected to the switch for each IP that you want to use multiple devices. These routers will need NAT and port forwarding to work correctly.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Well the router he has can deal with multiple IPs but concur I think that one of them will be attached to the router (port forwarding) and the standard LAN (m-1 mapping), the other IP address will have to be used in a 1-1Mapping. Agreed sounds like a switch and two routers would permit port forwarding on both IPs, if required.

Thanks

bburley

join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

If the router he has can deal with multiple IP's then you wouldn't need the switch. It could also potentially deal with multiple subnets on the LAN side. In that case, you could potentially map each of the two WAN IP's to a single IP in each subnet. The only reason for port forwarding is if you run multiple devices on a LAN subnet.