uniqs
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

3 edits

Tig to fartness

to fartness

Re: Wet air filter?

Was there water in the bottom of the air box? If so, clean the air box out carefully, I believe there should be a small drain hole in the bottom. It may be plugged.
I have an 08 ranger 4.0 and the air box setup sounds identical. Last summer when I changed the air filter I found the air box packed with seeds. I cleaned the stash out and installed a squirrel proof 1cm mesh at the inlet.

Edit: I just went out and had a look, there is a drain hole about a cm from the corner nearest the engine and driver. It's about 3 mm. Any water that gets in should run out there before it becomes a problem.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I had no water in the box.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Was the truck running as you went through the automatic wash?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Yes, should I have turned it off? It's a conveyor belt and they tell you to put the vehicle in neutral.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

That's about the only explanation left, is that the truck was running and the airflow was sufficient to pull the water spray in along with it. Just depending on how that particular car wash is set up; where the spray concentrates, how your truck was positioned and on and on, many variables in place there. It may not even happen the next time you go, but I'd say to be safe shut it off.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

Somewhat OT: Mattmag: in your experience, have you ever run across a car (well, motor) that has hydrolocked from a car wash?

I guess I could go ask-Autec build car washes in the next building over. You see them loading them on flatbed trucks. They filmed a how its made their one time using their beta test wash they have in front of the plant.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

Never one that locked, but a few that died and would not start without some hands-on intervention. Mind you, this was in the day of distributor caps, points and rotors, which most people after hearing such words simply give me a blank stare....

There were a few in the electronic ignition era as well, but most of those generally revealed some shortcoming in the system, like a bad plug wire that would cause a temporary misfire until the engine dried.