spc
uniqs
CplEstesUSMC
join:2005-02-16
Douglasville, GA

CplEstesUSMC to crash58

to crash58

Re: Ethernet port at the iNid

I have the mentioned setup, I use the ethernet port to a netgear gs-108tv2 but as far as DMZ+ vs access point I have to recommend DMZ+ for a # of reasons.

1. UPNP is not an option on the iNID
2. I personally have never been able to get the iNID to successfully port forward UDP packets, TCP I got working.
3. DMZ+ allows the translation and inspection to happen on your router. So if you have a pretty powerful router you may notice a latency drop and increase in the max allowable sessions and increase in session ramp-rate if you use your router. Because with DMZ+ the iNID is simply forwarding packets instead of translating and inspecting them. With the exception of IPTV traffic. Not to mention two CPUs are better than one (if properly configured)

The only extra thing I can think of is even after you setup DMZ+ the iNID will still try to get you to use itself as the DNS Server, I recommend manually plugging in the DNS servers on your router and let the DNS translation happen on your router as well.

Let us know what you went with and also if you noticed a performance increase like I did.

Also one caveat is that with my above setup I cannot use the remote function on the U-verse iphone APP, I'm still troubleshooting that.
crash58
join:2012-05-22
Clarksville, TN

crash58

ok, I haven't done anything yet...I am busy with work and it'll be the weekend til I do anything. I have a linksys 3000 router. I want to use this mainly because it has a usb port where I can hookup my external HDD that hosts many movies that I can stream within my network as well as over the internet when I travel (In the hotel room). I'm guessing the white att box(wireless router) inside acts as a router...so why can't I use the linksys router in router mode?
CplEstesUSMC
join:2005-02-16
Douglasville, GA

CplEstesUSMC

The Small white Box is a lightweight access-point only. It is actually managed by the outside unit (iNID).

And yes you can definitely use your linksys in router mode, find the MAC of the WAN port and then configure DMZ+ to the WAN port of your router.

The reason I used terms like translation and inspection is because those are the specific things that a router (residential gateway) does.