share rss forum feed

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to markwp2001

Re: Lug nut stuck; cross threaded?

If you truly put them all on by hand, and spun them down snug by hand, then it isn't likely to be cross-threaded. I would say there is a better chance you have some debris stuck in the thread area which has caused it to bind. You could try some lubricating spray and gently work the nut back and forth to see if you make any gains. Beyond that, it is likely you will need to get it to your mechanic.

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Clayton, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

said by mattmag:

If you truly put them all on by hand, and spun them down snug by hand, then it isn't likely to be cross-threaded. I would say there is a better chance you have some debris stuck in the thread area which has caused it to bind. You could try some lubricating spray and gently work the nut back and forth to see if you make any gains. Beyond that, it is likely you will need to get it to your mechanic.

This ^.
It would be nearly impossible to strip the threads by hand.

markwp2001
Spreadhead
Premium
join:2002-05-25
Long Beach, MS
reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

Ok, thanks! It seemed weird to me too, but it is stuck, stuck, stuck. Will try some spray and see what happens.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to guhuna

said by guhuna:

said by mattmag:

This ^.
It would be nearly impossible to strip the threads by hand.

I cross threaded a lug on the 2002 Civic my ex-wife has. Very similar situation as well. Hand tight, go to remove and BAM! cross thread.
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

It really isn't so much that you cross-threaded it, but in reality it is almost always a piece of debris that went on along with the nut. One more common thing that gets stuck is a small piece of the threads themselves, which makes for a real nice mess when you try to back it off and the piece gets stuck in the nut. It rips up the threads when enough force is used to back off the nut.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07

Eh - the dealership seemed to not be too surprised, they fixed it under warranty.

markwp2001
Spreadhead
Premium
join:2002-05-25
Long Beach, MS
reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

It really isn't so much that you cross-threaded it, but in reality it is almost always a piece of debris that went on along with the nut. One more common thing that gets stuck is a small piece of the threads themselves, which makes for a real nice mess when you try to back it off and the piece gets stuck in the nut. It rips up the threads when enough force is used to back off the nut.

Yes, I'm thinking that is what happened in my case.

My mechanic charged me a total of $41 for the repair, which includes 1/2 hour of labor and tax.