Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2
reply to koitsu

Re: [motherboard] Motherbaord help please ...

I think one can find all sorts of power adapters, such as those original poster needs, example:

»www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor···gib152_b

I was only trying to provide some ideas for looking around. There are many adapters available.

Freddy

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
These could work for him, but they don't solve the actual power/load distribution concerns (depends on how the PSU is manufactured):

»www.amazon.com/StarTech-6in-Pin-···02O21XHQ
»www.amazon.com/HDE-8-Pin-Power-4···02BFNZAO
»www.amazon.com/Male-Female-Power···05L90Q0O

There is one type of cable/adapter that I strongly recommend you DO NOT USE:

»www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables···f=sr_1_7

This is a very, very dangerous cable to use. Let me explain: more often than not, the 12V CPU "rails" (for lack of better term) tend to be much more strict/precise (better designed, circuitry-wise inside of the PSU) than the 12V used on standard 4-pin Molex. The "rails" used for the 12V Molex connectors tend to have massive amounts of variance -- I've seen from 11.8V all the way up to 12.3V. Proof (and this is on a server-class board):

root@icarus:/root # bsdhwmon
CPU1 Temperature           33 C
System Temperature         37 C
FAN1                        0 RPM
FAN2                        0 RPM
FAN3                        0 RPM
FAN4                     2042 RPM
FAN5                        0 RPM
FAN6                     1875 RPM
VcoreA                  1.106 V
MCH Core                1.522 V
-12V                  -12.288 V
V_DIMM                  1.712 V
+3.3V                   3.392 V
+12V                   12.096 V
5Vsb                    5.070 V
5VDD                    5.118 V
P_VTT                   1.142 V
Vbat                    3.328 V

The 12V coming in for a CPU tends to have much more stringent requirements. So please, do not use Molex-to-CPU-power-connector adapters!

Edit: someone may want to verify for me which 12V type the Molex connector use, either +12V or -12V (yes it matters). I can't remember.

Finally: the OP is also in the UK/GB so these exact products may or may not be available at UK Amazon.

--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
said by koitsu:

Edit: someone may want to verify for me which 12V type the Molex connector use, either +12V or -12V (yes it matters). I can't remember.

It's +12v. As far as I know, -5 (old ATX)/-12 are only provided by the ATX connector and are only used for legacy reasons (ex. RS-232, ISA).

ATX 2.0 mandated the split-rail system that is common nowadays, but 2.3 removed that requirement. Newer power supplies are trending towards one big 12v rail. Hopefully that results in consistent regulation on all 12v-carrying connectors.
--
KI6RIT

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
Thanks n_w95482 See Profile, sounds like my concern over the 12V bits is unjustified then. (I'm happy to be wrong )

The only concern I have about one big 12V rail is with regards to the devices which connect via 4-pin Molex. I'd need an EE person around to verify but as I remember a lot of consumer devices tended to be "noisy" or make a mess of the electrical, which is why they were segregated from other 12V lines. Possibly that has changed with ATX revision improvements (I don't follow those -- my brain is full!) and vendors are better about it now.

I do remember the whole single rail vs. multiple rail argument, which resulted in a bunch of hullabaloo over "everyone needing multiple rails", then 3-4 years later there's a whole "single rail" movement. I wish people would be consistent.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

1 recommendation

I think part of the split-rail movement was that there were safety concerns about allowing so much current over a single rail. The problem then moved over to crossloading issues with split rails, since power supplies rarely documented what cables ran off of which rail. Additional filtering could be part of the 2.3 spec, but I have no idea.
--
KI6RIT