spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

peggypwr1

join:2003-10-06
Fremont, CA

Connected to Internet, but webpages won't load?

Hello, all of this started a week ago.

Whether I'm using Chrome, IE 9 or Firefox 3.6, webpages have trouble loading such as google, hotmail,yahoo, etc, I have to keep hitting the refresh button to get to appear. I connected via cat cable to a Linksys WRT54G router w/latest firmware. Other computers are connected via wifi and are not experiencing any problems, only my desk top.

I have unpluuged the router and cable modem numerous times to no avail. Anyone know what is happening?

I turned of AVAST protection, Windows firewall has always been off and I disabled Malware Anytibytes.

I am using WIn 7.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

There are many routes to pursue when troubleshooting this type of issue. Try the easiest one 1st by connecting the PC directly to the modem. Also try a different Ethernet cable. This will tell you if it's an Ethernet issue. I doubt this is going to solve your issue, but you need to eliminate this variable.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to peggypwr1

If you know how to get to the command prompt (Start button --> Run (or search box in Win7) and type in 'cmd' --> Enter.

Then type 'ipconfig /all'

Then copy and paste into Paint and save as a jpg and upload it to the thread. I would be willing to bet the IP of your machine will be a default IP that is not routable. IF this holds true then you can find out why the PC is not getting a correct IP.

Could be from a firewall setting, router setting (limited number of DHCP clients), and bad cabling as already noted.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

peggypwr1

Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Fremont, CA

peggypwr1

Fremont, CA

[img=http://s7.postimage.org/5hjozt0qv/ipconfig1.jpg]

peggypwr1

Fremont, CA
reply to peggypwr1

I appear to be having trouble with the size of the pics, I am uploading as originals but them are not clear.

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

peggypwr1

Fremont, CA

I did the ipconfig release and renew but it still won;t connect?

peggypwr1

Fremont, CA
reply to peggypwr1

Update I switched out the cat 5 cable, the web page loading has improved much more, but it still does cut out?

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to peggypwr1

Is the wireless adapter disabled? Can you attach using wireless and disable the hardwire jack?

peggypwr1

Fremont, CA
reply to peggypwr1

Update:

I disconnected the router over night and plugged it back in, now everythings seems fine for the past week.

I am still coneected via ether net cable.

I just ordered a cat 6 cable from Amazon. I will put this cble between the moden and router.
DO I need another CAT 6 from the computer to the router?