uniqs
share rss forum feed

Action_Man
Currently Appearing As
Premium
join:2003-07-22
England
reply to Action_Man

Re: [motherboard] Motherbaord help please ...

It probably wont make a great deal of difference in this instance, but i will post my specs :-

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-X48-DS4 (rev. 1.3)

ARK | Intel® Pentium® Processor E5200 (2M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) - (I also have an E5300)

I have tried powering up with just the four pin connected, but it powers straight down, then keeps resetting itself, so I will go and purchase a new PSU tomorrow.

Thanks for all the information, much appreciated ...

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
Behaviour described could be one of 4 things as I see it:

1. PSU needing to provide 2x8 12V power like we've talked about,
2. CPU model or revision (stepping) not supported by the BIOS (result: immediately shuts off power). Sometimes BIOS updates (which provide newer microcode) can fix this but only the MB vendor would know. If Gigabyte says that exact model and stepping of CPU is supposed on that board with your BIOS version then you're good, otherwise contact Gigabyte and they might be able to update the BIOS for you (you'd need to send you board to them),
3. Some kind of actual motherboard problem, such as blown caps or faulty VRMs. This sounds extremely unlikely though, as the caps on Gigabyte boards tend to be solid; the first two possibilities are much more likely, and finally,
4. Bad CPU -- extremely unlikely on many levels but is always a possibility to some degree.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.