spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yami

join:2011-07-25
Lake Worth, FL

Some of IP Phones in DMZ are not accessible remotely!

Hi my geek friends

I used to put my clients IP Phone (of course if it is only one) or ATA in router's DMZ (2wire routers: DMZplus) then I can access them without bothering customers with remote desktop settings or temviewer's anti-commercial use random disconnects.

My problem is some of them work like a charm, no matter from same ISP, US or foreign.

But some of them are stubborn!! I assign static IP to device (ATA or IP Phone) and put it in DMZ (or DMZplus) and when I type recent WAN valid IP of customer's router, nothing happen. No login page for device.
For ATAs I even enable Remote Access too, but no lock

Do you know anything that may help??? Thanks in advance.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
If this is for business use, you might want to start by throwing away anything called 2Wire with prejudice.

yami

Lake Worth, FL
In fact for example old polycom ip phone in 2wires router's DMZplus works and I have access to it remotely but Linksys PAP2T in ZTE 831 router, no luck!!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to yami
said by yami:

I used to put my clients IP Phone (of course if it is only one) or ATA in router's DMZ (2wire routers: DMZplus) then I can access them without bothering customers with remote desktop settings or temviewer's anti-commercial use random disconnects

Only one ip phone can make use of the 2wire dmzplus option, any other ip phones will need portforwarding set up

You can also switch which ip phone is using the dmzplus option the device that is using the dmzplus option must be a dhcp client and you must renew it's ip address so that the dmzplus option will take effect

yami

Lake Worth, FL
wayjac:
thanks for reply.
In fact it took a hard way for me to understand difference between regular DMZ and DMZplus (in 2wire routers).

DMZplus in 2wire NEEDS dhcp for device and then assigns WAN IP directly to it.

Regular DMZ NEEDS static ip (of course out of routers dhcp range) to always know which device should be in DMZ.

Seems DMZplus from 2wire is a smart and easy way for DMZing! I wonder requiring dhcp how it knows who is who!! Maybe it records that device MAC address and next time look up for it. Anyway I liked it.

Regular DMZ does not assign WAN IP directly to that device in DMZ like what DMZplus does. That device still has its own static local IP but but seems WAN IP gets routed to its local IP.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
There are other routers that "share" the public ip address like the 2wire
Most dhcp servers are aware of the mac address of every device that connects

If you know what ports are needed use port fowarding instead of dmzplus