USA

icex

Premium Member

$135 power supply

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is what $135 will get you from "the other guy that seemed to know what he was doing".

$100 for the PSU, $35 to install it.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

There's a right and a wrong way to do things. I can take a guess at which this is. Did the kludge at least work?

icex
Premium Member
join:2004-05-22
USA

icex

Premium Member

Kludge?

The power supply actualy destroyed the hard drive. I'm suprised it diden't fry the motherboard as well.

pferrie3
join:2005-01-27
Boston, MA

pferrie3 to icex

to icex
let me guess 12 volts on the 5 volt line then smoke

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to icex

Premium Member

to icex
said by icex:

Kludge?

kludge

[klooj] Show IPA
noun Computer Slang .

A software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task.

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex to pferrie3

Premium Member

to pferrie3
Yep, he charged her $100 for a "new" power supply. I saw the tape and was hoping it was just wire management. Turns out every cable is soldered on to make a power supply. Hard drive crashed instantly.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by icex:

Yep, he charged her $100 for a "new" power supply. I saw the tape and was hoping it was just wire management. Turns out every cable is soldered on to make a power supply. Hard drive crashed instantly.

There's a surprise, the harddrive crashed when 12V hit it. At least he could have googled the wires to see what the voltages are. Hacks will be hacks I guess.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to icex

Premium Member

to icex
How much ya suing him for? Data loss, loss of important business related documents, loss of time, mental distress. I smell a quick million bucks

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex

Premium Member

Haha, not my power supply nor computer. Not sure what the client will do. He done it back and may and she just now got the computer fixed so probaly doesent have a case.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to icex

Premium Member

to icex
The idiot can't even properly join wires the right way. That isn't how you twist and solder like gauges of wire unless it is single core house wire.

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex

Premium Member

Welp, computer left the shop fine because I put the new hard drive in and installed vista back on it along with virus protection. Customer calls two days later after running it for awhile and its locking up and won't come on. Go to her house and reseat the ram, works fine until today. Freezes up and won't run. Started doing a memory test on it and the screen had lines across it after a few hours. I'm guessing his makeshift power supply cooked the motherboard.

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon to icex

to icex
Wow, so many issues with what is in those pics. Someone needs to smack the person that did that in the head (multiple times) with that PSU.

And signmeuptoo was correct: that's NOT how to join wires (especially stranded wire), and next time use some heat shrink tube not electrical tape.

What kind of case was this installed in? PSU looks like it's for a rackmount case (1U).

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex

Premium Member

It was installed in a inspiron dell desktop. It fried the motherboard.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by icex:

It was installed in a inspiron dell desktop. It fried the motherboard.

for the $135 she spent, she could have paid you to get a new p/s from ebay and install it....maybe including the mobo...

Dell parts are abundant on ebay...

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex

Premium Member

I installed a new power supply + hard drive. No way of telling the motherboard was fried until she put it through its paces and it keeps freezing, even freezes on memtest.