All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kelfa
join:2012-10-27
Fort Myers, FL

kelfa

Can someone check out my shaperprobe results?

Shaperprobe test..

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.251.175.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 6412 Kbps.
Downstream: 36462 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 10119-10199 KB;
Shaping rate: 4181 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19405-19902 KB;
Shaping rate: 26618 Kbps.

I've been running tests the last few night to try and determine the cause of my lagging/unstable pings/packet loss. Problems started happening a month ago. Multiple techs have been out, and line guys have been working on poles in the neighborhood. After they come out, its better a few days, then turns to crap again. Any online gaming, skype is out of the question.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Looks like you are on the Blast Tier ? And it is around 25/4 sustained in your market area with Powerboost speed bursts to around 36/6.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer to kelfa

Premium Member

to kelfa
Try running the ICSI Netalyzr test. Pay particular attention to the Network buffer measurements results. I have found that Comcast's channel bonding combined with PowerBoost can produce excessive upstream buffering (for my connection...YMMV) which can play havoc on real-time applications such as VoIP.

Here is a sample of my test results, first with PowerBoost allowed free reign, and then with a bit of rate limiting in my Netgear switch to limit upstream to 8mbps. I have also supplied Comcast speed test results taken under the same conditions.

Netalyzr results without rate limiting

Comcast speed test without rate limiting

Netalyzr results with rate limiting

Comcast speed test with rate limiting

Here is an explanation from ICSI about network buffering: »n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkele ··· fer.html
said by ICSI :

About this test: In addition to latency and bandwidth, one final, often overlooked aspect of network quality is the amount of buffering.

Often, your computer wants to send or receive data faster than some point in the network allows. Thus that point needs a buffer to store this data until it is able to send it. The problem arises when the buffer is too large or too small. If the buffer is too small, network protocols such as TCP are unable to send as fast as the network allows. If the buffer is too large, a single transfer will fill up the buffer, delaying all other traffic.

Currently, a lot of users have networks which are significantly over-buffered. As a result, if the network is running at capacity, packets may be substantially delayed. This is why, for example, BitTorrent may slow down a user's web surfing, even though TCP is able to share all the bandwidth, the file transfer fills up the buffer which now slows down all other traffic.

kelfa
join:2012-10-27
Fort Myers, FL

kelfa

Thanks guys. Here is that test

Network Access Link Properties + –
Network latency measurements (?): Latency: 34ms Loss: 0.5% –
The round-trip time (RTT) between your computer and our server is 34 msec, which is good.

We recorded a packet loss of 0.5%. This loss rate is within the range commonly encountered and not usually inducing significant performance problems. Of the packet loss, at least 0.5% of the packets appear to have been lost on the path from your computer to our servers.
TCP connection setup latency (?): 44ms +
Network background health measurement (?): 4 transient outages, longest: 1.0 seconds –
During most of Netalyzr's execution, the applet continuously measures the state of the network in the background, looking for short outages. During testing, the applet observed 4 such outages. The longest outage lasted for 1.0 seconds. This suggests a general problem with the network where connectivity is intermittent. This loss might also cause some of Netalyzr's other tests to produce incorrect results.
Network bandwidth (?): Upload 6.2 Mbit/sec, Download >20 Mbit/sec +
Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 340 ms, Downlink 89 ms –
We estimate your uplink as having 340 msec of buffering. This level may serve well for maximizing speed while minimizing the impact of large transfers on other traffic.
We estimate your downlink as having 89 msec of buffering. This level may serve well for maximizing speed while minimizing the impact of large transfers on other traffic.

Tech is supposed to be coming with line eng tomorrow so hopefully this issue can be resolved
kelfa

kelfa

Click for full size
Here is a one hour span of my connection