how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to osxtasy

Re: [WIN8] How will Win8pro upgrade affect my Win7 Fam Pack??

said by microsoft1:

The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way.

Seems pretty cut & dry.

Can be referenced all over.

osxtasy

join:2008-07-03

1 edit

But there is ONLY 1 KEY for all three of those Win7 licenses. Do you see my concern? Lets say I "just" upgrade 1 machine, and when I do, this new Win8pro key/serial/license INVALIDATES that old Win7 KEY completely.... Then I'd have 2 licenses (only one installed) that become INVALIDATED.

With that said, then it appears I HAVE to buy 3 copies ALL AT ONCE is what I'm seeing, NO? Why cant they just make a Win8Pro family pack for $120.00 and be done with it?

Microsoft REALLY needs to clarify this.

Apple is WAAY more lenient in this type of scenario, and I have enough macs to know this for a fact. I don't love everything Apple
does, but they DO get this part right.

Unfortunately I'm the type(career field wise) that HAS to use the "best tool for the job"(including linux), and prefer to have all versions of O/S's if possible...

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

I would think that if Microsoft has the ability to activate and uniquely identify three unique systems with the same product key that they'd have a system in place to identify when one & only one of those were activated.

I don't foresee you logging onto one of the remaining systems one day and seeing the "Not activated" screen. If, for some reason, that did happen I would think a call to Microsoft would get things straightened out. It seems silly that they'd invalidate all legit product activations for this scenario.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

So was the OP able to install Windows 8 OK? How did it effect his 3 user license for Win 7?