Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Badonkadonk

Re: [WIN8] Do this to enable Safe Mode, or you will be sorry...

OZO
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to trparky

trparky See Profile - thank you for sharing with us your experience and detailed instructions how to fix the problem. I'll keep link to this thread in case if some poor soul will need it later on. Personally I'm going to keep all my desktops/laptops Windows 8 free... May be due to its "extreme innovation", may be for some other multiple reasons...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

I've got some old copies of XP. You can have them if you'd like, since progress seems to be a bit problematic.

Expand your moderator at work

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL
reply to trparky

Re: [WIN8] Do this to enable Safe Mode, or you will be sorry...

F8 got dumped in favor of a completely new recovery method that has made the old safe mode obsolete. You now have multiple options to recover windows 8 beyond the restore points.
»www.winsupersite.com/article/win···a-144098
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

4. And finally, why did they make this strange change - from 'F8' (that everyone used to use with generations of Windows) to "Shft+F8"?

Supposedly because the window for entering F8 has got smaller and smaller over the years (it's tricky to hit it on some of my Windows 7 machines, there's very little time after the primary boot and before the OS starts initializing).

So apparently the thing to do is to tell the firmware to tell the OS you want safe mode. (Not available to the oh-noes-UEFI-is-evil crowd).

»www.techspot.com/news/48718-wind···ned.html

I don't understand why they can have Shift-F8 do just what F8 would have done. Might be phased-withdrawal, I suppose: get users used to the new way, while retaining a (slightly modified) version of the previous way Just In Case. Programmers are conservative.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

My motherboard has UEFI on it since it's a recent Intel-based chipset board but I've not seen anything in the UEFI interface to tell Windows to boot to Safe Mode.

I have however made that Recovery Disk on a USB Flash Drive.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

4 edits
reply to dave

said by dave:

»www.techspot.com/news/48718-wind···ned.html

I don't understand why they can have Shift-F8 do just what F8 would have done.

From the link ;
quote:
One such method is done by booting into Windows 8 and holding shift while clicking restart....load up into Windows 8 first, tell Windows you want to reboot into the advanced boot options menu and restart the computer....Personally, I find not being able to invoke the menu with a key during boot cumbersome.
From the other thread ;
said by trparky:

I've mashed Shift-F8 until my keyboard damn near broke, nothing.

said by JohnInSJ:

...weird, works for me.

@ trparky Recap - So, it was not a keyboard timing error, but the fact that you were trying to use Shift+F8 at boot time instead of holding the shift key during a re-start command ?

Edit - Thanks for the above modification too, btw.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

Ok, shift-F8 is great and all but what if your machine is already broken and you can't get into Windows and Windows doesn't detect that anything is wrong. Then what?

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

said by trparky:

Then what?

We get to suck it up until 3rd party programmers start releasing W8 tool boxes.

OZO
Premium

Something like a Classic Shell or Start8, but this time for the boot?
Sorry, but W8 is looking more and more as it's not ready for prime time...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

My phone is going to ring any day now with a customer of mine asking;

" I just got a new computer at Wal-Mart, and when I turn it on it comes up with a real weird looking screen. What do I do ? "

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

said by SipSizzurp:

My phone is going to ring any day now with a customer of mine asking;

" I just got a new computer at Wal-Mart, and when I turn it on it comes up with a real weird looking screen. What do I do ? "

'Touch the square that says "Desktop"' - sheesh people, windows 8 users aren't completely brain dead you know. They can adapt to what is, in the end, a fairly minor change.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

It's a shame MS didn't have you on their team.
--
I guess we'll have to sue Mother Nature now for voter suppression. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012 and end the stupidity.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

'Touch the square that says "Desktop"' - sheesh people, windows 8 users aren't completely brain dead you know. They can adapt to what is, in the end, a fairly minor change.

Windows 8 is NOT Windows 7 nor is it Windows Vista nor is it any form of Windows most people have grown accustomed too.

SipSizzurp See Profile needs to LEARN Windows 8 if SipSizzurp See Profile plans on helping people who get Windows 8.

Windows 8 is a significant PARADIGM shift ... get with it or keep drowning yourself in the misery of OLD technology!

There is no question that its going to take time to ADAPT to the new world ..... that new world is so much better.

But then, OLD GEEZERS seldom if ever like PARADIGM shifts. I went through it with IBM, DEC VMS, Unix [up-teen flavors], Atari, Commodore, Apple II, Apple III, Apple Liza, etc. etc. etc.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

Click for full size
Windows 8 Start window
Click for full size
Windows 8 Search
Click for full size
Windows 8 Search
I've really come to like Windows 8...

I have even gone and removed my trial version of Start8 because I really don't need to have the old Start orb in the lower left of the traditional desktop. I had installed it because my wife uses this laptop (non-touch screen HP G60) when we travel and I figured she would freak out with the new tiles. Not to worry though...

I have the new Start window modified so the only new metro type apps I use are the Facebook, photos, weather and news tiles. All the other tiles (including the Desktop tile) go straight to programs that open on the desktop, ie. Outlook, IE, Quicken, etc...etc. Once I/she is on the desktop the same old icons are available and I/she never see the new Start window again. See the screen shot.

I simply bring up the charms, at the right, and use search in order to find a program that I don't have an icon on the desktop for. See the other screen shots...

I have the laptop configured to power down when I/she presses the power button or closes the lid. If I do need to restart the again I simply bring up the charms, select Settings > Power > Restart. Again pretty easy IMHO...

Other than an issue that I solved by disabling the new Fast Start function that seemed to be causing issues with my video drivers all is working well. The machine is certainly faster, IMHO, than before.

I also created an emergency boot flash drive to get into Win 8 recover/repair options if need be. Changed the boot order in BIOS, tested to make sure it works and I am confident I can get into the machine if need be.

I am going to start getting File History working now with an external USB hard drive for file backups.

By the way...I am an OOF (Official Old Fart) retired guy so I guess some of us ol' geezers can adapt...

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Badonkadonk

They wouldn't even hire him.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

Bugs? Lack of support? This is the definition of "prime time" and Windows 8 nailed the launch. Opinions of whom will decide to spend money on the OS is not "prime time" and is healthy, old school consumerism.

4 Million upgrades in the first 3 days for Windows 8, that is faster adoption than Windows 7.

You have an opinion that you do not like Windows 8, I share your opinion. Do we really have to relive the Vista ignorance days and try to find something, anything to hook onto as a "reason" to justify why we just simply can't "like" the damn thing???
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to mozerd

said by mozerd:

SipSizzurp See Profile needs to LEARN Windows 8 if SipSizzurp See Profile plans on helping people who get Windows 8.

Thanks for the critique, you are correct. I am just now getting around to migrating business customers to W7 from XP, but am learning what I can about W8 as time permits. IT support is a very busy industry with precious little spare time to divide between legitimate work and frivolous flops. Time will tell if W8 is a frivolous flop or a break trough revolution, and I will to react accordingly. With all due respect, I would propose that the jury is still out on W8.

Notice what I posted about Windows Vista as an ANON user 5 years ago...
»[Vista] Did you make the switch?
quote:
What in the heller you talking about ? Who needs a graphical user interface wasting all that CPU power and getting in the way of my batch files and BASIC written software ? I remember the frustration of having to deal with all that fancy hand holding eye candy they called "Windows". DOS 6.22 is all the OS anybody needs to get the office work done ! Stereo speakers just to listen to system beeps ? Good God, what will they be doing next ?

It was halfway through 1998 until I finally figured out that Windows was here to stay, and no amount of belly aching was ever going to bring DOS back ! It's 2007 people. Either exert a little effort to keep up, or you can just obsolete yourself right where you stand. Technology will move forward even if you choose to freeze your own development by standing there wringing your hands with tears running down yer face.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to RazzyW8

The more I read from him, the more I agree with you.