spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tim85254

join:2010-07-15

[AZ] included antivirus protection - Windows 8 support when?

I upgraded to Windows 8 this weekend. When will Cox's included antivirus solution have support for it?

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
I wouldn't bother, windows 8 has its own built in protection that has decent detection rates and a low memory footprint. Personally I really hate McAfee, its a bit of a memory hog and its detection rates aren't that good.

If you want a top notch antivirus, I'd go with kaspersky which costs money as they consistently hit advanced+ on av-comparatives.org in both speed and detection rates (different AV software hits different spots every time they do the tests, but kaspersky has almost always been among the top.) Otherwise stick with what windows includes.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5
I agree...

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) with Windows 7 for years and now Windows Defender with Windows 8. I see no good reason to use McAfee after some bad experiences with it when I was still working. In that case we were forced to use McAfee because of work policies...

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to tim85254
That would be Mcafee's call...

And there really are vastly superior options out there for you..

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
AVG Free -

»free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

is very good just released 2013.

yea, mcafee is total crap. it misses a lot of viruses

-Rob

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to tim85254
»ww2.cox.com/residential/support/···00000000

Summary
McAfee security software issue resolved in Windows 8.
Detail

11/9/12, 2:48 p.m. ET update

The Windows 8 issue preventing customers from downloading or managing McAfee security software has been resolved.

Cox Communications customers using Windows 8 should no longer experience a problem when attempting to download either Cox Security Suite or McAfee Family Protection software.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime
TiVo Elite & Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.124, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FA

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
reply to tim85254
I have avest! antivirus that is basically free, have to be registered for every annually.

outwest

@dsn1.net
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't hold out for McAfee. You couldn't pay me to use that program. It'll likely slow your system down, and don't be surprised if you wake up one day and your internet just isn't working. As far as I'm concerned, it's almost a virus itself.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
Why cant Cox (or any ISP) just use something more real like Konspiricy or AVG? Is Macafee really that cheap to offer as a part of the package?

-Rob

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79

1 recommendation

If we did that people that don't like Konspiricy or AVG would complain that we should get something real like Norton. In the end it's a free feature of the service we offer. It's there to use if you want it but if you prefer other options you're free to use those as well.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
Yeah that's pretty much spot on there. People go for the brands who advertise the most, and not necessarily the brands that actually perform the best. If you use somebody who does a better job, but doesn't pay retailers to stick their product on the eye level shelf along with endcap displays, the customer will scoff.

I remember working at staples and my boss insisted that norton was the best (and this was at a time when they were doing horribly even compared to today - their detection rates were 65% at best and their software was a huge resource hog.) My boss admittedly didn't know much about computers either, but somehow he "knew".

What cox is doing here is value adding. Since cox buys it in a bulk package, they can provide it to you cheaper than you could if you bought it on your own. That cost invariably figures into the subscription price, but it attracts customers as a bonus "feature" anyways which makes them willing to pay more.

Plus it also has the benefit in that it is better than having nothing at all, (most windows users either don't use windows 8, or don't know about MSE) which reduces their tech support burden when malware breaks something, as well as keeps the network clean of DDoS nodes eating up the bandwidth.

So even if you don't use it (I don't) you'll still realize at least some benefit from it, even if you don't see it.