how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2012-06-11

1 recommendation

reply to IllIlIlllIll

Wow have people lost perspective in our modern world!

I see so many whining babies here crying about how their service is out.....folks you do know this is a once a century storm and with it came the damage of that magnitude. Do you think a internet fairy pops out of the PC monitor and waves a wand to fix things in an instant?

Like the other posters mentioned....stop bitching and start helping to clean up...be patient, neighborly, and civil to others around you that are in the same boat.

I sometimes wonder what it will take to snap people out of their selfish self centered world they live in. If we don't we are doomed.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

said by 15444104:

I see so many whining babies here crying about how their service is out.....folks you do know this is a once a century storm and with it came the damage of that magnitude. Do you think a internet fairy pops out of the PC monitor and waves a wand to fix things in an instant?

Like the other posters mentioned....stop bitching and start helping to clean up...be patient, neighborly, and civil to others around you that are in the same boat.

I sometimes wonder what it will take to snap people out of their selfish self centered world they live in. If we don't we are doomed.

im not a whiner and im not complaining.
i didnt whine when i was without power for 6 days and im not whining that i dont have optimum either.
i have a generator and 3g for internet but i really need the high speed internet for work as its difficult to do what i am employed to do on 3g internet.
so its a bit disconcerting when your neighbor has it but you dont because the wire is disconnected from the tap.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Re: Hurricane Sandy-Frankenstorm Outages/Issues/Updates

Finally got through to billing. Got a $29 credit.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to 15444104

Re: Wow have people lost perspective in our modern world!

said by 15444104:

folks you do know this is a once a century storm

And only a year after the last "once a century storm".

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Finally got through to billing. Got a $29 credit.

i tried three times on the live chat, got "disconnected" because no agents were available.
I gave up.
I'll call my guy tomorrow and pay him to get up there and reconnect it... i need internet for work ! 3g isnt going to suffice for long periods of time.
--

tkatz77

join:2011-01-24
Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

im not a whiner and im not complaining.
i didnt whine when i was without power for 6 days and im not whining that i dont have optimum either.
i have a generator and 3g for internet but i really need the high speed internet for work as its difficult to do what i am employed to do on 3g internet.
so its a bit disconcerting when your neighbor has it but you dont because the wire is disconnected from the tap.

I have to agree with you. A few years back whenever power went out, cable would remain on (as long as a line wasn't actually cut). Last year was the first time that we actually lost service during an outage. It started as about an hour after the power went out, cable service would drop. Then a half hour, then eventually as soon as power went out the cable went out. If the power even flickers, the cable service "resets" (ie the modem has to resync, the tv's briefly lose signal, etc…). I have batteries connected to all my devices that use the service so there's no power interruption during the quick "blips". We also run a generator for the longer outages.

Last year a tech told us that the batteries in the box on the pole had just died and they would send a truck with a generator out to charge it up. That never happened.

We were without power from Monday evening to Sunday evening. The cable went out with the power and came back up with the power. Just like all our power outages over the last year.

My neighbor, with fios, has not lost service once in the same year. This past outage, and yes you can say conspiracy theory here, it seems like Cablevision would rather just give people a credit then provide service during an outage. With their service outage page that seems know if you have service or not, its odd they make you call to get credit. Why not just give everyone who didn't have service a credit? I guess because some won't call so they won't have to give everyone a credit?

Regardless of whether there's a problem that is out of Cablevisions control or not, the fact is… I had no service and my neighbor did. I called Verizon and after 30 years of service with Cablevision I'll be making the switch to Fios. Cheaper (for at least 2 years), and 75/35 should be nice. I couldn't even get in touch with any one at Cablevision during the outage. Either busy signals or no one would ever pick up after the message "assuring me" that cable service would be returned as soon as power was.

Call this bitching if you want, but I'd rather have the service I'm paying for then get a credit after a long outage. When my neighbor has service and I don't, then I'll use what he uses.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by tkatz77:

With their service outage page that seems know if you have service or not, its odd they make you call to get credit. Why not just give everyone who didn't have service a credit? I guess because some won't call so they won't have to give everyone a credit?

I can't imagine it's cheaper to pay people to take customer calls requesting credit than to apply credit either en masse to all accounts, or all affected accounts. However, since a majority of people are going to call requesting credit regardless of whether it is automatically given, I guess it's the option they felt best to take.
Expand your moderator at work

JDolan

@optonline.net
reply to tkatz77

There are plenty of people with FIOS down as I type.
My brother has FIOS and is down all week, same for my father in law.
I check the status for them and verizons website and 800 number is telling customers they are commited to restoring service by tommorrow night.

lolfios

@optonline.net
reply to tkatz77

And yet I've known people who have had FIOS out for more than two weeks after lat years storm when many other people had their Cablevision service back in in hours. There's so many factors in a major storm.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to IllIlIlllIll

additionally, its even more disconcerting when theres an optimum van 4 houses down repairing a customers cable line and doesnt even know someone else 4 houses down that has disconnection when their job is done and hes gone.
i should have flagged this guy down.
--

NJ_Ray

join:2005-02-11
Dunellen, NJ
reply to kickass69

living in Dunellen NJ, coming down into town, all wires, cables are still a huge mess. Tree's finally cut away, and that seems to be the reason for a huge loss of power/internet in our area. Its a cut up mess up there.
There is no OOL near the train station, and used to be able to get their wifi all over town. Not since last Tuesday night, 8pm.
Stay safe and warm folks. Many people still out of all services, so i'd suspect the linesmen have their work cut out, as well as the pole tapper's. Patience, if things are that bad, head down to a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

finally able to get thru to CV by phone, using an autodial script for about 4 hours !

HydroponiK
nom nom nom
Premium
join:2001-08-03
New Jersey
reply to kickass69

So it seems the cable and phone is working today, however the internet is still down. Are you guys experiencing the same?
--

Ain't that a bitch.

HydroponiK
nom nom nom
Premium
join:2001-08-03
New Jersey

said by HydroponiK:

So it seems the cable and phone is working today, however the internet is still down. Are you guys experiencing the same?

Never mind, if anyone is using a router, need to reboot and clone mac address. Then reboot your connected devices, and you should have internet back.
--

Ain't that a bitch.

root

join:2002-12-11

said by HydroponiK:

said by HydroponiK:

Never mind, if anyone is using a router, need to reboot and clone mac address. Then reboot your connected devices, and you should have internet back.

Reboot the router? I can see that...needing to clone a mac address? Not necessary to re establish connection.

Rule of thumb...if your phone is working...so is internet to your modem (Since you have voice over internet protocol phone service)

rtbond

join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ
reply to kickass69

Just an FYI. I saw a Cablevision tech parked on the side of the road in Hopatcong, NJ babysitting a generator that was powering one of their HFC nodes. Apparently Cablevision has someone positioned by the generator (looked to be a 3kW Honda inverter-style [ultra-quiet and fuel efficient]) 24 hours a day.

Wow, that is costly but I guess the alternative is risk theft. Seems like there should be a more cost effective solution.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY

The gen's up here are left alone (chained to the pole) - not sure if that correlates to the crime stats...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

The Cablevision tech did mention they had some stolen in the October 2011 snow storm. Perhaps they should have invested in a heavier chain!

When does the cost of having a tech babysit the generator exceed the capital cost of the asset? I think a 3kW Honda (Eu3000is) is about $2000.

In the grand scheme of things not a big deal.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY

I would hope that stealing one of these is treated as an attack to core infrastructure e.g. terrorism...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

My "not a big deal" comment was related to having someone guard the generator and not to the act of stealing one.

Yes, having serious penalties might help act as a deterrent.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage

CV doesn't put generators our here. They just wait for the power to go back on.

Verizon does - with a big chain.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

said by jaa:

CV doesn't put generators our here. They just wait for the power to go back on.

Verizon does - with a big chain.

Not universally true. Was your post was an attempt at humor or were you stating in your area you do not believe generators are used to power Optical Nodes?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to rtbond

If someone has to babysit the generator, it would be a lot cheaper to run a simple inverter off the van's 12V battery.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

news 12 long island went black after my power went nuts for a sec (voltage jumped up to 140vac quickly and back to normal).
what the hell ?
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to kickass69

i would like to take this opportunity to thank the gentleman from Moriches who has worked as a Lineman for CV for 13 years, for fixing my drop late at night in the dark, in the frigid temperatures on 11/6.
if you read this post, thank you very much.
--

bwally

@vjc.edu
reply to kickass69

In North NJ, my OOL is still unusable and modem is constantly rebooting.

It's from the failed T3 range requests.

megalosaurus

join:2000-11-29
North Salem, NY
reply to kickass69

Up here in North Salem, I've only seen a generator chained to a pole once - after one of the megastorms in 2011 (can't remember which). During Sandy, the power went out at 3:00 pm on Monday Oct 29, and the cable went out 2.5 hours later. The power came back on at 12:30 pm Wednesday Nov 7, and the cable came back with it. We have a manual-start generator with a manual transfer switch, so we have no good way to tell if the power is back. So we just look at the modem, and if it's working, then we know there's power. I don't think we ever had a case where the power came back and the cable didn't. During these big storms, it's several days before we see any trucks from the electric or phone utilities, but Optimum is always there right from Day 1. If they could teach these Optimum people to work on power lines, I think we'd get our power back a lot faster.

disy

join:2003-01-02
Norwalk, CT

this was the first time our power came on but we did not have cable, it was so strange took them about 24 hrs after power came back on

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I was fortunate and did not lose power to my home (one of ~10% of LIPA customers), but my cable went down at 5:30 PM last week Monday. I got my cable back this Sunday at 6:30 PM. 2 blocks down from me there was a sizable section of the town that lost power, and I'm sure the amplifiers & other equipment on the line lost power. While they use generators, none was on my node or other equipment (amplifiers/etc), probably because of low impact of part of a node vs restoring a full node elsewhere.