uniqs
share rss forum feed
« Happy Thanksgiving!WLIW & Subchannels »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to Bob4

Re: Hurricane Sandy-Frankenstorm Outages/Issues/Updates

Semi lost power but UPS still kicking and keeping the modem and router going. Didn't loose internet yet, dunno about TV as that's plugged in a different socket (no UPS). :P

Gonna try getting an extension cord to get power from the working outlets to charge this sucker to keep on going!

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to kickass69
Seems like all OOL mail is down here- though net is (obviously) working fine.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to SHoTTa35
If you have some working outlets and some not working, you have a localized problem with half of your 220. Make sure you don't run any 220 appliances (like a dryer). I would also suggest turning off your electric water heater, if you have one.

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

1 edit
reply to kickass69
Lost cable again a few minutes ago for a minute or two. Another line went down.

I expect it to go full loss within the next hour. May even finally lose power this time.

Edit: Wind is getting so bad, I scared. FIRST HURRICANE EXPERIENCE.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

1 edit
reply to Bob4
Lights flickering occasionally, but CV's service is working fine. My daughter's Minecraft session has been uninterrupted.

Oops. Lights just went out. Every 30 minutes like clockwork.

EDIT: And it's back.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to kickass69
Power out here. Still have a working OOL connection for now. My battery backup probably will not last long.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Bob4
Email is back.

EDIT: Maybe.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to Bob4
Ahh makes sense as the living room as the 220v socket for the AC unit - guess the bedroom is on the same circuit or something.

Think I read something where 220 is always the first to go during a storm right? The power companies cut that first?

Says about 400,000 people without power in CT now!! Guess i'm still lucky

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to kickass69
Power is now out. Heard a crackle a few houses down.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to SHoTTa35
Generally you have 220 service which is split into two 110 circuits.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kickass69
Lets add to this topic --- my Verizon Wireless and AT&T cell phone service cant make calls without 5 or 6 attempts.. Do you think it has something to do with Sandy? 615,000 customers without electricity at all on Long Island -- I'm pretty sure it MAY have an impact on services for the short term. Even if CV is weathering it OK, there are upstream providers that may not be.

Do you think posting something will fix anything at this moment? Or do you just feel more comfy griping?

Duh.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Power out again.

I think CV's email is still dead.

My company is closed on Tuesday. In the 27 years I've worked for them, this is the first time they've ever closed for an entire day.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to tmpchaos
Well all power is gone now in CT but CV still up and running (UPS still kicking ) So guess CV has backup around here as it's 100% dark as far as my eyes can see!

Hehe, love seeing my WIFI network as the ONLY one around also :P

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
said by SHoTTa35 :

Hehe, love seeing my WIFI network as the ONLY one around also :P

Same here. But my UPS only lasts about 70 minutes. CV's batteries might only last for 45 or so.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to kickass69
anyone saw when power went out on news 12 during the live broadcast ?

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Power's out here in PA, CV still running we'll see how long it lasts.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to Bob4
Got about ~3hrs so far form her as that 220v thing went out at 5:38pm EST and it shows 10mins left so yeah. Guess she finally got put to use after being bought in early 2011. Didn't have power issues during Irene last year so never tested it till now. Works good IMO

I'll be on my phone in a bit I guess then.

Oddly enough I can't log into my modem no more either. It just gives me blank page (404) when I try the IP. It pings, just the HTTP page is gone even though i'm obviously still connected to the net. It worked right before the power went out fully though

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to kickass69
Seems like some email and websites hosted by lightpath are down

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
reply to kickass69
TV and Internet stood online the whole time. It didn't even flinch, even when the electric in my house did. Kudos to Cablevision.

cseeman

join:2005-12-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to kickass69
Seems outgoing mail is being hung. Incoming OK. I can send outgoing through iCloud/MobileMe account so it's specific to Cablevision.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY
reply to kickass69
I just lost cable and Internet service in lower Westchester. The tuner adapter is still synced for some reason.
--
CRUNCH THIS!

Kett2000
Premium
join:2002-04-23
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to kickass69
my server in Manhattan bit the dust 30 minutes ago... Looks like things are getting really bad.

Looks like Edison cut the power to the datacenter:

"We have received notification from our datacenter operator of our New York datacenter facility that Consolidated Edison has disconnected utility power to a rather large section of lower Manhattan, including our datacenter facility at 121 W Varick, as a result of damage caused by Hurricane Sandy. Utility power was lost at approximately 9:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time.

The datacenter is now running on generator power.

The datacenter operator confirms that there is sufficient fuel onsite to continue normal operations for the next 4 days, and has arrangements in place to deliver more fuel if necessary."

And then the generators failed:

"We have just been informed that due to an auxiliary electrical failure, power systems have failed at our nyc16 facility at 121 Varick St in New York City. All New York servers and services are now offline and we have no ETA for service restoration. We will provide updates as we have them.

Most systems should be configured to power on when power service resumes and we can assist via ticket as needed when power becomes available. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you or your business.

The following information was provided by our facilities vendor at 121 Varick St, known upstream as LGA4:

"The auxiliary power for our LGA4 Network Operations Center has gone out. LGA4 data center is will be going down. NOC responses will be delayed as other elements need to be contained to ensure the safety of our crew as we endure the effects of Hurricane Sandy. We are in the process of relocating our team to our near by LGA1 data center.

At this point it is encouraged that customers who have the ability to, remotely shut down any critical equipment or services to mitigate the risk of any interruptions to service. Our staff is evacuating the site and remote hands services will be suspended until the threat passes. Customer access is also restricted until further notice."
--
Bivek Networks, LLC | Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Lenoir (NC), New York City, San Jose (CA) | AH.FM Online Radio USA Relays | Snapgr.am Free Image Hosting and more...

btzmacin

join:2012-10-29
Wayne, NJ
reply to kickass69
I lost power at about 6:45p. (Wayne, NJ). Prior to that, I experienced a heavy slowdown from the typical 60Mbps speed of boost plus down to ~35, which coincided with a series of brownouts. Luckily our three backups tanked the damage and nothing even flinched. Once the power died for good, I immediately went around shutting everything off and then killed the backups to save their batteries **JUST IN CASE...**

A few minutes ago, I got curious and went downstairs to see if the modem would pair. I flipped on the backup, and sat there for the duration of a 4min, 35sec song that was playing on my phone and watched the downstream light blink endlessly. OOL == borked.

Since the winds have really died down, I'm guessing that PSE&G will start sending out crews soon. I'm not sure of the relationship between power and cable repair-wise, what with cable needing power to run its systems and all. I'd like to believe that CV can be proactive and do SOME repairs before PSEG wraps up, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd say power back tomorrow, no earlier than 1pm, with cable following within 36hrs of electric restoration.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
In general, cable is not allowed to access the poles until the electric company gives the all clear. For the safety of the linemen, and for the simple fact that power is much more important than cable or phone services when everything is down.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

btzmacin

Wayne, NJ

2 edits
reply to kickass69
EDIT: Spoke too soon. Power died again at 6:45a. Likely they turned it on to run diagnostics and now are going to fix everyone else who is legitimately broken. The winds have totally died way before the maps said they would so I'm guessing trucks are being deployed at this very moment. I can hear one idling down the street from me, but can't see it from my window so idk if its pseg or what.

Well I just got power back at a little before 5am - way ahead of my prediction of 2pm. I hooked up all my stuff to charge and then checked the modem - it was still out, and continues to be afaik. I'm going to be plugging it in occasionally throughout the day to check since just leaving it constantly searching for downstream signal has proven to cause more delays and problems than it does speed things up.

Kudos to PSEG for getting our block lit back up so quickly. Not sure when CV's gonna get the go-ahead but hopefully its soon and they can get us back online in the next few hours.

Having power but no content to consume is kinda like dangling christmas presents but saying you gotta wait two months to open them.

btzmacin

Wayne, NJ

1 edit
reply to kickass69
EDIT: Double post, sorry.

Anon6478

@myvzw.com
So my cable/Internet is out in dutchess right now. Is it just my neighborhood or the whole county/ region?

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:3
reply to kickass69
Never lost power, but internet and TV went out around 3am.

Attack Gypsy

join:2007-05-10
Milford, CT
reply to kickass69
Never lost anything here in Milford, CT. Caller ID was acting kinda funny though. My sister-in-law called 3 times, when it was actually my cousin, and 2 robo-calls. One from Optimum.

magi

@optonline.net
reply to kickass69
We lost internet/tv/phone service at my house, my brother lives like 10 houses up from us and he still has service..

Checked the wires from my house to the pole and both are good, we have 2 drops.. neither are working....

Can it happen that one house has service while the other does not in a close prox from each other?

Anyone have any ideas? Should I check the cable wires going ujp and down teh streaam if there is a break somewhere?