Search similar:

uniqs
eaw3c1
join:2012-11-02
Suffern, NY

eaw3c1 to kickass69

to kickass69

Re: Hurricane Sandy-Frankenstorm Outages/Issues/Updates

Everything in Suffern was fine during and after the storm. Half of the town was out. Tonight at about 9:30pm everything went out and the boxes keep on resetting. The online indicated says everything is fine. Called Cablevision and their response is no ETA and no clue when service might come back. The gentlemen on the phone told me anywhere from 12 hours to 4 weeks. YIKES!Honestly I miss FIOS, everyone around me has it and they have service. I am using a Verizon iPhone 5 with LTE to connect but this is going to cost me a fortune.

VinceA
join:2000-08-29
Bayonne, NJ

VinceA to kickass69

to kickass69
Well, after posting my speed report... I lost power Monday PM and still don't have it back in Bayonne, NJ

wave_sailor
join:2001-04-23
united state

wave_sailor to kickass69

to kickass69
Bloomingdale tv out sometime before 2:58 a.m. It was working fine after we lost power on Monday and got it back on Wednesday late afternoon.
wave_sailor

wave_sailor

tv on now.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

To Microsoft: I'm in ur store using ur Internets.
nltech
join:2007-06-13
West Haverstraw, NY

nltech to kickass69

to kickass69
West Haverstraw went down at 11:30 last night. The system and then live tech gave an eta of 5am this morning but I and person i spoke to across town are still down. Now they are saying a pole is down, gave no eta and the tech rattled off towns 30 miles away that it effects.

Jim88
@myvzw.com

Jim88 to eaw3c1

Anon

to eaw3c1
Seems like we are losing ground. In Sloatsburg, my service was never interrupted during the storm and it went out last night around 11:30PM and is still out, TV, OOL and OV. I monitor several servers around Rockland for businesses and most of my clients had come back online over the previous two days. Last night, OOL service to two clients was restored just prior to my connection going down. Now all my clients with Optimum are offline, including the ones who just had service restored. Maybe they fixed one thing and broke something else or maybe some auxiliary power generation failed. I doubt we will ever find out.

nltech2
@myvzw.com

nltech2 to kickass69

Anon

to kickass69
West Haverstraw went down at 11:30 last night. The system and then live tech gav e an eta of 5am this morning but I and person i spoke to across town are still down. Now they are saying a pole is down, gave no eta and the tech rattled off towns 30 miles away that it effects.
nltech
West Haverstraw, NY

2 edits

nltech to Jim88

to Jim88
Maybe that down pole was to a major hub-data center. Like I said the tech was rattling off towns all over as it relates to the pole beong down.

edit: heard stony point went down to last night.
edit: 11am all service returned.

Sorry for anon double post above. Mods pls delete anon double post.

pa prowler
join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
·Optimum Online

pa prowler to kickass69

to kickass69
Click for full size
We lost the network last night around 11:30PM. I noticed the above on the channels that now require a digital box. Is this what they use to generate that "Digital box now required" screen? Pretty low tech stuff. Would have been nice if they just allowed the old unencrypted stuff through during these difficult times, at least until they recover from this.

TopShelf
join:2010-06-25
·GCI

1 edit

1 recommendation

TopShelf to kickass69

to kickass69
rant on

I lost power for a week during the Great Winter Storm of November 1973. I didn't piss, whine, or moan because the TV was off. I was too effin busy bagging some coin shoveling snow for my neighbors.

I'm sorry ya'll have lost your internet/cable/cell phone accesses. Instead of inundating the companies responsible for restoring your services with queries on when your beloved access will return, why don't ya'll speed up the process by getting off your whiny duffs and go help clean up the mess this ungodly storm created?

rant off
eaw3c1
Suffern, NY

eaw3c1 to kickass69

to kickass69
My problem is that I take courses online and there is little that can be done to fix it. Everything was fine, we seem to be going backwards. I have TV service. I am in Suffern, NY. This is very disconcerting when friends with FIOS have service.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to kickass69

to kickass69
JCP&L restoration info by town here -

»www.firstenergycorp.com/ ··· Nov2.pdf

and

»www.firstenergycorp.com/ ··· ity.html

nltech
West Haverstraw, NY

nltech to TopShelf

to TopShelf
said by TopShelf:

rant on

I lost power for a week during the Great Winter Storm of November 1973. I didn't piss, whine, or moan because the TV was off. I was too effin busy bagging some coin shoveling snow for my neighbors.

I'm sorry ya'll have lost your internet/cable/cell phone accesses. Instead of inundating the companies responsible for restoring your services with queries on when your beloved access will return, why don't ya'll speed up the process by getting off your whiny duffs and go help clean up the mess this ungodly storm created?

rant off

What a completely ignorant comment to make.

Care providers use phones to check on those in need as well as the other way around. More so now because of the effects of the storm.

Others here have jobs, businesses, college and families that depend on OOL or Business Optimum being available. Many businesses use Optimum Voice and either have a hand in the effort or are relied on by those in need because of the storm.

For some it is also lose your job or business you are no position to help anyone.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp to TopShelf

Premium Member

to TopShelf
I have to agree. I have seen a ton of idiots bitching because they cant play WOW

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
TV and internet came on briefly this morning, and now are back on again - hopefully will stay on this time. Never lost power.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to kickass69

MVM

to kickass69
Click for full size
Just got the following E-Mail
eaw3c1
Suffern, NY

eaw3c1 to kickass69

to kickass69
Mine is back on and they advised me for Rockland county it was an issue in West Nyack and no power. Well tonight West Nyack gots its power back and with it the Internet came back.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to pa prowler

to pa prowler
said by pa prowler:

We lost the network last night around 11:30PM. I noticed the above on the channels that now require a digital box. Is this what they use to generate that "Digital box now required" screen? Pretty low tech stuff. Would have been nice if they just allowed the old unencrypted stuff through during these difficult times, at least until they recover from this.

They play a DVD for the "You need a box" message. Sounds like the DVD player lost power, and they need to press "play" to stream the slate again.
AhnFire
join:2004-07-22
Scarsdale, NY

AhnFire

said by AhnFire:

Scarsdale, NY (near Yonkers, ardsley)... We have power, but tv/phone/Internet has been down since some time early Tuesday morning.

They cleared a tree blocking the street... Services came back yesterday. All good.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to kickass69

to kickass69
(11/02/12) BETHPAGE, NY - Cablevision, the parent company of News 12 Connecticut, says they will offer credits to customers that were withut service due to Hurricane Sandy. The company released the following statement:
In light of the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy on our customers, Cablevision Systems Corporation today announced the following credit policy for Optimum customers whose service has been disrupted as a result of the hurricane.

Optimum customers can receive credit for any full or partial day during which they were unable to access Optimum services, even if the disruption was caused by a loss of electrical power. The company is asking customers to call after their Optimum service is restored, so it can calculate and apply the full credit to which a customer is entitled.

"Many of our customers have been severely impacted by Hurricane Sandy, and we want them to know that credits are available for the period of time that they have not had Optimum service, including when electrical power was not available," said Kristin Dolan, Cablevision\'s senior executive vice president of product management and marketing. "In addition, customers will not be responsible for any damage to Cablevision equipment caused by the storm, and will be able to exchange damaged equipment at no cost."

Customers who have experienced a loss of service should contact Cablevision within 30 days of service being restored and request a credit for their regular monthly charges during the period when Optimum TV, phone or Internet products were unavailable, including periods when there was no electricity to the home or business where the services are received.

Additionally, customers who have damaged Cablevision equipment - set-top boxes or cable modems - should inform the company of the damage and we will exchange the equipment without penalty.

Customers can request outage credits or facilitate an exchange of their equipment by calling their local Cablevision service number or e-mailing the company through the contact pages at Optimum.net or Cablevision.com.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to kickass69

MVM

to kickass69
First of all, it is considered general good etiquette to not post full news articles but rather a short summary and a link to provide more credibility. To that effect, here is the link to the Cablevision press release regarding the credit.
aroberti
Sarcastic? Me? Never
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
Norwalk, CT

aroberti to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
For what it's worth, our neighborhood has been without power since about 6:30pm the night of the storm, but we never lost TV, internet, etc.

I understand peoples' frustrations with lack of power and other utilities (we just were loaned a generator yesterday, I've been powerless for a while myself!), but I don't understand why some people seem so angry (there was a story about people throwing eggs at linesmen working in Bridgeport, CT). This storm was a big deal, it's not like everything was going to magically get fixed overnight. Especially with Cablevision, AT&T, and Verizon... they generally need to wait for telephone pole issues and power issues to be cleared up before they can do their own work in a neighborhood.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to mbernste

to mbernste
I appreciate that kickass posted the entire press release. (I also note that in your Splash Page thread, you posted screenshots but did not post a link!)

Still no power here. Verizon POTS and cell phone are working fine. My local cell site is the Verizon Wireless Network Operations Center!

Friends with AT&T and T-Mobile say their phones are not working.

andvari
join:2003-05-21
Freehold, NJ

andvari to kickass69

to kickass69
Well I'm in Freehold.

Lost power from Monday 4 PM until 8 PM last night.

I was able to snag a generator, but that didn't help with Cablevison because they didn't come back until the power did.

My neighbor with FIOS had service the whole time.

The offer of a credit for lost service is ok, but dang I would have like to have been able to use the Internet. I telecommute so it's an important issue for me.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to switch because of this.
happy4ya
Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
Optimum had been dead here since Monday afternoon when the wind started blowing hard. Still not on. Fios never went down once. If they would come connect it today I would have Fios back here in a minute.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Power and CV service just came back at 1:10 PM today (Sunday). Duration of outage: 5 days, 18 hours.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

What speeds are you getting?
happy4ya
Premium Member
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY

happy4ya

Premium Member

They must have heard me...came back on about an hour ago. Out one day short of a week.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to WK2

to WK2
Normal speeds 18.75 / 2.0

Hey guys, wasn't there a recent movie about the power going off throughout the entire world? What's the name of the movie?