how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kILLDR3n

join:2009-05-16

4 edits

[Connectivity] Very high ping/packet loss and jitter

Just started today. Usually have a 15-25ms ping and 0-2% packet loss.

This morning I was playing Xbox and hosting multiplayer games. All other members of the game noticed "twitching" every 5 seconds or so. I go and test my ping and suddenly have 25-50ms ping and 10-20 jitter.

I reset my SMC and made sure everything else was configured correctly.

This seems to be on Comcast's end. Has this happened to anybody else?

I don't think I need to give any other info.

Tests from my two nearest servers.

SirchMeister

join:2003-03-03
Hopewell, VA
Seen several reports of ping/packet loss for that area. I'm somewhat close being in VA. I wouldn't doubt at all if the issues had something to do with each other.

kILLDR3n

said by SirchMeister:

Seen several reports of ping/packet loss for that area. I'm somewhat close being in VA. I wouldn't doubt at all if the issues had something to do with each other.

Yeah man currently its terrible. Any sort of gaming I try is unplayable. Never had this issue before.

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
My internet is just screaming instability. This is not normal. Could the hurricane affect this?

kILLDR3n

1 edit
reply to kILLDR3n

http://i.imgur.com/bnwl7.png
http://i.imgur.com/X9O77.png

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
Your downstream power levels a quite low.
Is that normal for you? are they stable at those levels?
Have you called for a tech? had them checked before?

yes the hurricane and or everyone being home instead of working and using the network to get info could effect this.

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
I have not had the SMC checked out since installation about a year ago. I'm on a business line by the way if that matters. I know Comcast has a 24/7 line for business customers but they're just as stupid their regular tech support. The people on the phone didn't know what I meant by packet loss and jitter :/

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
said by kILLDR3n:

I have not had the SMC checked out since installation about a year ago. I'm on a business line by the way if that matters. I know Comcast has a 24/7 line for business customers but they're just as stupid their regular tech support. The people on the phone didn't know what I meant by packet loss and jitter :/

Are you sure you are calling the right number? I've had excellent luck with the people I've spoken to for biz class support.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
I have been calling the right number. The phone call usually ends with my hanging up because they want me to reset everything for an hour, like I've already done 10 times.

Do you guys know what actually causes packet loss and jitter?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
Hurricane rolling through right now with strong winds lol. The 44 ping is what I usually get on normal days.

kILLDR3n

said by Darknessfall:

Hurricane rolling through right now with strong winds lol. The 44 ping is what I usually get on normal days.

[att=1]

That could affect this? Its not so much the ping, its more the jitter and packet loss. At any given time I have 3 people playing online games in my home and it is currently literally unplayable. Speed tests are still fine, however.

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
Somebody just told me this

"When I had my last tech out he said those words almost exactly. Under -10 or over 10 on the Downstream is bad and over 50 on the upstream is bad. You are already over 50 on the upstream and any fluctuation (which happens normally) will likely cause you problems."

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to kILLDR3n
it is very possible the storm is having a play in this. I would not call support too much because for now they will tell you its the storm which is the right call for a CSR.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

kILLDR3n

2 edits
reply to kILLDR3n
Happening right now and worse than ever: »/pingtest/4cb5···/2956790
»/pingtest/6a73···/2956794
»/pingtest/5cbc···/2956816

I don't really know what to do. I'm just paranoid that this will last for weeks. It started before the storm even affected my area .

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
»www.pingtest.net/result/71529646.png

I have a tech coming tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the packet loss issues are replicated during that time. I don't want him to think there's "no issue" just because it doesn't show during the appointment. Then right as he leaves the problems start again.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Well show him your rather poor signal levels on your modem, and tell the tech you want them improved. Because them levels are poor and not even up to the standards of comcast. Which the tech should already know, and agree with. Also ask the tech to check for noise on the lines.

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
The tech concluded that my cable line is terrible. He was surprised the internet and phone is even working with the current signals. They're replacing the whole line tomorrow.

kILLDR3n

4 edits
reply to kILLDR3n
They replaced the whole line and for the first day I experienced 0 packet loss. Right now, though, I am getting terrible jitter and packet loss AGAIN.

I don't know what to do.
»www.pingtest.net/result/71678484.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/71678094.png

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
Tech finally said today that it is nothing on my end but something at Comcast. He said there is nothing that HE can do. He said he called it an as a problem for my whole neighborhood (as it actually is according to him) and other people will have to take care of it.

Note - Upstream still isn't very good. Also nothing he can do about that.

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
And I still continue to receive problems.

»www.pingtest.net/result/71708039.png

Two tech visits and no solution. Also, I AM ON A BUSINESS LINE.

kILLDR3n

reply to kILLDR3n
So Comcast tells me that this IS on their end.

»www.pingtest.net/result/71707687.png

When will this get fixed? They were so vague and said they'd let people know on their end. I don't get it.