Search similar:

uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Credit card warranties

I thought most credit cards will extend the warranties for some purchases, such as a computer with a 1 year warranty, and make it 2 years. Is this true?

What about warrantied car repair work (ie. parts/labor is warrantied for a year, so would the credit card make it 2 years)?

How does one claim the warranty if their computer dies after 1.5 years but the manufacturer's warranty ended after a year, yet the credit card offers 2 years?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

All depends on the credit card - read the terms and conditions. We can;t know your terms and conditions of your CC.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

How does one claim the warranty if their computer dies after 1.5 years but the manufacturer's warranty ended after a year, yet the credit card offers 2 years?

It's just a web form to fill out with Amex. They respond back within a day or two with a decision.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to fartness

Mod

to fartness
I've seen AMEX pay two claims. One guy had a laptop screen go bad and it was during the days of $1000 screen replacements. They paid him close to that. Another person lost a motherboard on a desktop. They gave him something close to $800. I try to remember to put all my hardware purchases on the AMEX, especially cell phones.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Are car repairs covered under that with Amex?

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed

Premium Member

»www.americanexpress.com/ ··· 1.11.pdf

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I would hardly say its most but some do.

And usually the ones you have to pay major annual fees for like AMEX

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to removed

Premium Member

to removed
Well I read that and it answered his question in black and white.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Nope!
PURCHASES NOT COVERED
The following are not covered
2. motorized vehicles (including, but not limited
to, passenger cars, trucks, motorcycles,
boats, airplanes) and their parts, subject to
high risk, combustible, wear and tear or
mileage stipulations (including, but not limited
to, batteries, carburetors, pipes, hoses,
pistons, brakes, tires, or mufflers);

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to fartness

to fartness
The screen on the Kindle I got for my niece two Christmases ago just crapped out about a week ago (vertical and horizontal white lines on a gray background on the right half of the screen, gray and black vertical lines on a white background on the top left quadrant, part of an image that just won't go away, only the bottom left quadrant still works).

I called Amazon and they offered the following replacement choices: a 6" Kindle with special offers for $54.00 or a refurb Kindle Touch with free 3G with special offers for $104.00. (The screen issue is non-repairable). My niece had the Kindle Keyboard with free 3G... not too impressed with Amazon's offers.

The Citibank Mastercard I used to purchase it has an extended warranty benefit that doubles the Kindle's one year warranty, so I'm going to file a claim on Monday. The warranty company that Citibank uses, TWG Innovative Solutions, wants the following info:

- Claim form (I have to call TWGIS Monday to get this)
- Receipt (is a printout of my original Amazon order OK?)
- Credit card statement showing the Kindle purchase (still have it!)
- Original manufacturer's warranty (I found it on Amazon's site and printed it out... wonder if that would be good enough?)
- "Itemized purchase receipt(s)" - Do I need *another* receipt??
- Service contract or optional extended warranty (N/A)
- Itemized repair estimate - would a printout of the email I got from Amazon CS with the replacement options they offered me be good enough?

Hopefully it won't be too much of a battle. I wonder if TWGIS would just credit me the $54 replacement cost of the cheapest Kindle or the $104 for the 3G Kindle Touch since that's closer to her Kindle Keyboard? (I highly doubt I would get the $189 original purchase price?)

EDIT: Too bad AMEX doesn't offer a virtual CC number like my Citibank card does... from what I've read online, AMEX's extended warranty claim process is much friendlier than those of Mastercard and Visa.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Depends on the card, but I know my USAA Master Card, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, and Amex Zync do. I have used the extended warranty service on the USAA card for a logic board and screen replacement on my MacBook Pro after the warranty expired. All I had to do was call in and then e-mail or fax the receipt.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

Discover has excellent extended coverage (Square Trade) and Discover cards don't have annual fees...they pay YOU for using them (cash back rewards). I LOVE Discover card. It is the best card I have ever had and I have had just about all of them....including Amex which was one of the worst. Discover customer service is outstanding.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Hayward0

MVM

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

You can get an Amex card that has no annual fees and the same coverages...