share rss forum feed

Meningitis
Hi
Premium
join:2009-03-06
Places
kudos:1

[LoL] Noob going to start playing.

I plan to start playing LoL tonight. I've only read about it, never seen it in action. Is it easy to catch on to? Should I purchase any Champions right out of the gate? I'm really not even sure what else to ask.

Any tips for a noob would be appreciated.
--
Get in here! Pub Games

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
Heres the free list with what the chars do. Read Archs guide and play. Play lots of champions you will suck its ok.

Alistar - Tank bull, LOTS OF CC. Headbutt kockups are hard but doable.
Cho'Gath - Tank Alien, CC (Knockup silence), GETS BIG w/ ult
Dr. Mundo - Tank, Throws cleavers, goes where he pleases
Janna - Support/AP, good CC, lane with a ranged AD, your shiled gives AD
Katarina - AP Assassin. Can kill everyone. Weak early game. Not for noobs.
Miss Fortune - Ranged AD. Pretty good one. Easier than vayne.
Skarner - Tank Scorpion. Ult is really good. Make sure you ult a carry.
Vayne - Ranged AD Assassin. Weak early game, very positioning oriented. Noobs beware
Viktor - AP Mage, Tricky stuff with this one. Starts w/ item you have to upgrade and weird spells.
Ziggs - AP Mage. May Fav. Lots of fun. Easy to lane.

You can buy champs if you find one you love but play lots till you do.
--
Leaning out a window with a cocked shotgun. Driving up the block in the car they shot Pac in. Looking for Big's killers. Dressing ridiculous. Blue and red like I don't know what the big deal is.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
Get into the bbr chat and post your username homie.

Welcome to most blood boiling fun you will ever have.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
reply to Meningitis
said by Meningitis:

I plan to start playing LoL tonight. I've only read about it, never seen it in action. Is it easy to catch on to? Should I purchase any Champions right out of the gate? I'm really not even sure what else to ask.

LoL: The game that is easy to catch on to (for most aspects), but takes hundreds of hours to master, if ever.

I would not worry about purchasing any champs until you figure out whether you truly want to play the game. Also, the free champs change weekly, so as to allow you to try out the many varied champions and learn whether or not you like them/what they can do ability-wise.

Under the friends button, there is a "Channels" tab. Most of the folks here that play are part of the BBR (not to be confused with the BBC) channel, which you can have auto-join when you login to the game.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
LoL: The game that is easy to catch on to (for most aspects), but takes hundreds of hours to master, if ever.

So true. The game strategy doesn't even kick in until everyone is mechanically sound.
--
Leaning out a window with a cocked shotgun. Driving up the block in the car they shot Pac in. Looking for Big's killers. Dressing ridiculous. Blue and red like I don't know what the big deal is.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Meningitis
said by Meningitis:

Most of us have low level accounts to help you with the leveling. Make sure you join the channel "BBR" so we can find you.

But first check this out:

»League of Legends
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
reply to Meningitis
I would spend the $30 and get the big starter bundle or whatever. It's well worth the money and gets you alot of the easier to understand champs to play.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
said by Blockfire:

I would spend the $30 and get the big starter bundle or whatever. It's well worth the money and gets you alot of the easier to understand champs to play.

I would recommend this AFTER you find out if you want to stick with the game. To give it a decent shake, I would level to 5 or 10 on your account and decide then.

Some of us have spent waaaaaaaaaaaay too much money on this free game.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Blockfire
said by Blockfire:

I agree with this, the bundle is $20 AFAIK, you save a good bunch of IP and you will get to play with a bunch of awesome champs.
--

Deo85

join:2012-10-19
reply to Meningitis
The bundle is a great purchase but I agree play till your lvl 10 then decide if you like it or not. Also the bots are a GREAT way to learn your characters mechanics. Play through easy bots till you can win with out a death... move onto hard bots till you don't die then move onto blind normals.

There are several guide out there and this game has a rich amount of data with the different positions and spots and how to play them. There are several ppl who play the game on these forums so never hesitate to ask questions we will help

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

Some of us have spent waaaaaaaaaaaay too much money on this free game.

So free.....
--

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
reply to Meningitis
we sold our house and moved this past weekend so i'm w/o interwebs until thursday when the cableco comes to install my 50mb/s interwebs!!!!!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I will be back home with the family for an extended weekend, from Friday through Monday morning.
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
I need to remember my lowbie account info.

I wanna pwn some newbies!

Meningitis
Hi
Premium
join:2009-03-06
Places
reply to Meningitis
Thanks all for the info. I'll check out the BBR channel when i get settled.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4
Excited to see you in game.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Meningitis
Welcome. Free time RIP.

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
reply to Meningitis
you must be on skype for all to enjoy, btw. It's not fun for us if we can't mock you unmercifully.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
"Come on guys...."
"WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY....."
"ERHMAGERDD"

All there are traded marks.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
"I don't know what you were thinking"

- Jobbie

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Lets go back to our happy thoughts shall we.

We can draw a happy tree here, see he is so happy...

www.google.com
--

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY
reply to Meningitis
So, a question from someone who is admittedly only marginally interested in the game- is the community really as horrible as I've heard? I've already left a couple of other games I at least somewhat enjoyed because I got tired of having to play with/against a bunch of jackholes all the time.

(And no, joining a clan/guild/whatever really isn't an option, owing to sporadic playtimes.)
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
There are no guilds/clans/whatever. If someone becomes annoying, you should just mute them (hit tab to bring up the player list screen and click the radio button next to the player's name).

There's no reason to let a game ruined by someone's rage.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to Meningitis
said by Meningitis:

Hope you have mood stabilizing meds ready. LoL makes people bi-polar.

after 25 games... oh wow this is great...

give it 300-400 then get back to us and let us know how you feel then

great game... but the people who play it are so so

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
I'm bi polar because of this game.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to TheThing
When I did play the game (a while ago), I loved to just ignore all the fuckwads and pretend I didn't speak English.

Watching them piss themselves with anger was priceless.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Meningitis
When you're learning the game, you tend to question if you're doing things correctly, so the criticism you get from other players hits home a little more. You just have to learn how to differentiate between legitimate criticism and social retards that rage for no reason.

Just last night I was in a bot match and some dude was blasting everyone else for their gear choices and yelling at everyone to 'follow the meta'. Eventually someone just told them to STFU.

Any sufficiently large cross section of humanity will be plagued with losers. No getting around it. The 'ignore' button is the great equalizer.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Rogue Wolf
said by Rogue Wolf:

(And no, joining a clan/guild/whatever really isn't an option, owing to sporadic playtimes.)

No clan/guilds but we have a channel called "BBR" where we all meet to get games together.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

said by Meningitis:

Most of us have low level accounts to help you with the leveling. Make sure you join the channel "BBR" so we can find you.

But first check this out:

»League of Legends

No one should be eager to level up. The leveling process doesn't serve the same purpose as leveling up in Diablo or WoW. The leveling process is for match-making purposes. It ensures that you're more likely to go up against players who have similar amounts of play time in as you until you reach 30, in which you get matched with everyone.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Rogue Wolf
said by Rogue Wolf:

So, a question from someone who is admittedly only marginally interested in the game- is the community really as horrible as I've heard? I've already left a couple of other games I at least somewhat enjoyed because I got tired of having to play with/against a bunch of jackholes all the time.

The community is on par with every other gaming community. There are a lot of people that recognize that when a team is hostile towards each other, they lose and people are motivated to communicate better. The tribunal has helped shape up the community from what it was over a year ago, punishing players who are verbally abusive, frequently leave games, or intentionally throw games.

You may play solo for a while, but we've had many nights of playing as a team on Skype and either having a blast or raging at each other or both simultaneously.

I set up a Skype server. This took some research on my part because I don't think anyone else actually has one. I had to use a custom API addon just to get it to function. When you call it, it will automatically answer the call and automatically add you to the current conference (if there is one). This way, you can communicate with people without having to add a massive list of Skype contacts.

Just add "aftershockconf" to your contacts and call it. There's no need to wait for a return on the other side. I've set it up to automatically fire up when the server fires up. It also serves as my media server.

Even if we don't play, we can spectate and observe your games and give you pointers.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK