Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: [LoL] Noob going to start playing.

Lets go back to our happy thoughts shall we.

We can draw a happy tree here, see he is so happy...

www.google.com
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY
reply to Meningitis

So, a question from someone who is admittedly only marginally interested in the game- is the community really as horrible as I've heard? I've already left a couple of other games I at least somewhat enjoyed because I got tired of having to play with/against a bunch of jackholes all the time.

(And no, joining a clan/guild/whatever really isn't an option, owing to sporadic playtimes.)
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

There are no guilds/clans/whatever. If someone becomes annoying, you should just mute them (hit tab to bring up the player list screen and click the radio button next to the player's name).

There's no reason to let a game ruined by someone's rage.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Meningitis

said by Meningitis:

I plan to start playing LoL tonight. I've only read about it, never seen it in action. Is it easy to catch on to? Should I purchase any Champions right out of the gate? I'm really not even sure what else to ask.

Any tips for a noob would be appreciated.

Hope you have mood stabilizing meds ready. LoL makes people bi-polar.

after 25 games... oh wow this is great...

give it 300-400 then get back to us and let us know how you feel then

great game... but the people who play it are so so

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

I'm bi polar because of this game.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to TheThing

When I did play the game (a while ago), I loved to just ignore all the fuckwads and pretend I didn't speak English.

Watching them piss themselves with anger was priceless.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Meningitis

When you're learning the game, you tend to question if you're doing things correctly, so the criticism you get from other players hits home a little more. You just have to learn how to differentiate between legitimate criticism and social retards that rage for no reason.

Just last night I was in a bot match and some dude was blasting everyone else for their gear choices and yelling at everyone to 'follow the meta'. Eventually someone just told them to STFU.

Any sufficiently large cross section of humanity will be plagued with losers. No getting around it. The 'ignore' button is the great equalizer.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Rogue Wolf

said by Rogue Wolf:

(And no, joining a clan/guild/whatever really isn't an option, owing to sporadic playtimes.)

No clan/guilds but we have a channel called "BBR" where we all meet to get games together.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Jobbie

said by Jobbie:

said by Meningitis:

Any tips for a noob would be appreciated.

Most of us have low level accounts to help you with the leveling. Make sure you join the channel "BBR" so we can find you.

But first check this out:

»League of Legends

No one should be eager to level up. The leveling process doesn't serve the same purpose as leveling up in Diablo or WoW. The leveling process is for match-making purposes. It ensures that you're more likely to go up against players who have similar amounts of play time in as you until you reach 30, in which you get matched with everyone.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Rogue Wolf

said by Rogue Wolf:

So, a question from someone who is admittedly only marginally interested in the game- is the community really as horrible as I've heard? I've already left a couple of other games I at least somewhat enjoyed because I got tired of having to play with/against a bunch of jackholes all the time.

The community is on par with every other gaming community. There are a lot of people that recognize that when a team is hostile towards each other, they lose and people are motivated to communicate better. The tribunal has helped shape up the community from what it was over a year ago, punishing players who are verbally abusive, frequently leave games, or intentionally throw games.

You may play solo for a while, but we've had many nights of playing as a team on Skype and either having a blast or raging at each other or both simultaneously.

I set up a Skype server. This took some research on my part because I don't think anyone else actually has one. I had to use a custom API addon just to get it to function. When you call it, it will automatically answer the call and automatically add you to the current conference (if there is one). This way, you can communicate with people without having to add a massive list of Skype contacts.

Just add "aftershockconf" to your contacts and call it. There's no need to wait for a return on the other side. I've set it up to automatically fire up when the server fires up. It also serves as my media server.

Even if we don't play, we can spectate and observe your games and give you pointers.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Meningitis
Hi
Premium
join:2009-03-06
Places
reply to Meningitis

So I started playing this weekend. I have to say I really enjoy it. The community isn't bad as long as you do your 'job'. Been using Soraka mostly and am enjoying her.

I've not gone full PvP, and am just doing the players vs. AI at the moment.

I'll join the BBR channel next time I'm on and can remember.
--
Get in here! Pub Games

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

You should probably break away from bots as soon as you get the mechanics down. I've seen people use them like a crutch and then they get destroyed in PVP.
--

Meningitis
Hi
Premium
join:2009-03-06
Places

Well, I'll try that tonight then.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4

Yeah, Arch's right. Bots play a certain way every time. With PVP, it's totally different. It's good to get used to that mode of play as soon as you can. Soraka is an awesome support. Keep your bot laning partner healed and full of mana, and let them get all the Creep Score. You'll wants Gold Per 5 items. I'd start with a Faerie Charm into a Philo Stone. Then maybe a Kage's Lucky pick. Buy wards and use them in the river bush if you push the lane, and they can also be used in the lower bushes in your lane in case the enemy support is lurking in there for ambush. Glad you started playing. It's a really fun game.
--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by Kristopher:

It's a really rage game.

Fix'd.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Meningitis

said by Meningitis:

Well, I'll try that tonight then.

* Read the LoL FAQ here on the site, some stuff is outdated but most of it remains current.
*Join channel BBR
*Send us your Skype handle or join the skype server.

We all have low level accounts to get you into PvP in an easier way. There are lots of people with high level accounts starting new ones just to pwn new people so just keep leveling, the real deal starts at 30.
--

mudchucker
Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy
Premium
join:2000-10-21

The skype channel wants me to send a friend request when I add the above channel, is that normal?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

Yes. Add contact and then call it.

mudchucker
Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy
Premium
join:2000-10-21

Okee

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Meningitis

Prepare to be blamed for everything that could possibly go wrong. :P
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by C0deZer0:

Prepare to be blamed for everything that could possibly go wrong. :P

He will soon learn to love the 'Mute' button in the Tab screen.