s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH

s1deout

Premium Member

[MoP] How to motivate the rest of my guild

Well it seems that the dailies grind / leveling challenges and RL boss have crippled my guild's raid team. 3 of the core players just are not there and don't seem to be there in the future.

Additionally two of the bench players don't want to do the dailies grind or spend time doing dungeons to get gear.

After complaining enough about it , I got slapped with an officer rank and was told to go recruit and fix the issue. Zonks!!!

So I come to den of all powerful WoW knowledge to seek advice and offer a virgin sacrifice in hopes of gleening some intel on how to start resolving the situation.

Any ideas beyond the obvious? Currently have recruiting threads out there on all the appropriate forums and I spend time in SW spamming my macro and answering unfortunately dumb questions in return.
Vinceruos_t
join:2012-05-04

Vinceruos_t

I was in a similar situation during the start of Cata. The best way to recruit is to run Pug raids IMO. I found that is the best way to find quality players. Get yourself at least 5 or so core members and run the raid same time everyweek and make sure everyone in trade knows that you are doing that raid at the same time everyweek. Once you get a reputation for running successful pugs then more quality players will join in and you can recruit from there. There were about 4 of us that started a guild from scratch in Cata and now I am the GM and we are top 5 guild on the server now. So I have been where you have been before .
cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it
join:2010-08-17
Houma, LA

cigtyme

Well finding guildies can be so unforgiving. Use these 2 words, reliable and compatible. You want a raider to be there and you'd also like him or her to fit in with the group.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Lothario to s1deout

to s1deout
Grats on your "promotion".

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

2 edits

1 recommendation

Skittles to s1deout

Premium Member

to s1deout
GM:Let me have your attention for a moment! So you're talking about what? You're talking about...(puts out his cigarette)...bitching about that mob you shot, some son of a bitch that doesn't want to grind rep, somebody that doesn't want what you're selling on the AH, some noob you're trying to screw and so forth. Let's talk about something important. Are they all here?

Assistant GM: All but one.

GM: Well, I'm going anyway. Let's talk about something important! (to Raid Leader) Put that coffee down!! Coffee's for closers only. (Raid leader scoffs) Do you think I'm fucking with you? I am not fucking with you. I'm here from the Guild. I'm here from the officer council. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Raid leader, Isatankxxx?

Raid leader: Yeah.

GM: You call yourself a raid leader, you son of a bitch?

Healing lead: I don't have to listen to this shit.

GM: You certainly don't pal. 'Cause the good news is -- you're fired. The bad news is you've got, all you got, just one week to regain your jobs, starting tonight. Starting with tonights Raid. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this raid clear contest. As you all know, first prize is a chopper. Anyone want to see second prize? Second prize's a set of throwing knives. Third prize is you're fired. You get the picture? You're laughing now? You got strats. Officer council paid good gold for your respecs. Watch tankspot to see how it's done! You can't kill the raid bosses with the strats you're given, you can't kill shit, you ARE shit, hit the bricks pal and beat it 'cause you are going out!!!

Raid leader: The strats are weak.

GM: 'The strats are weak.' Fucking strats are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business 8 years.

Healing lead: What's your name?

GM: FUCK YOU, that's my name!! You know why, Mister? 'Cause you drove a riding pony to get here tonight, I drove a Heroic 25man drake. That's my name!! (to raid leader) And your name is "you're wanting." And you can't play in a man's game. You can't kill them..you go home and tell your wife your troubles.Because only one thing counts in this life! Get them to die on the spot which is marked! You hear me, you fucking faggots?

(GM flips over a blackboard which has two sets of letters on it: ABC, and AIDA.)

GM: A-B-C. A-always, B-be, C-Clearing. Always be Clearing.! Always be Clearing.!! A-I-D-A. Attention, interest, decision, action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested in progressing? I know you are because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks! Decision -- have you made your decision for Christ?!! And action. A-I-D-A; get out there!! You got the strats comin' in; you think they came in to get out of the rain? Boss doesn't walk in the instance unless he wants to die. Sitting out there waiting to give you it's loot! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? (to heal lead) What's the problem pal? You. Isaalwayshealinxxx.

Isaalwayshealinxxx: You're such a hero, you're so rich. Why you coming down here and waste your time on a bunch of bums?
(GM sits and takes off his ring)

GM: You see this ring? You see this ring?

Isaalwayshealinxxx: Yeah.

GM: That ring cost more than your gear. I made 9,000 achievements points last year. How much you make? You see, pal, that's who I am. And you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? Fuck you -- go home and play with your kids!! (to everyone) You wanna be on the raid team? Clear!! (to DPS lead) You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this -- how can you take the abuse you get on a raid?! You don't like it -- leave. I can go out there tonight with the strats you got, make myself a thousand VPs and a heroic clear! Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can you? Go and do likewise! A-I-D-A!! Get mad! You sons of bitches! Get mad!! You know what it takes to clear instances?

(He pulls something out of his traveling pack)

GM: It takes brass balls to clear a raid instance.

(He's holding two brass balls on string, over the appropriate "area"--he puts them away after a pause)

GM: Go and do likewise, gents. The loot's out there, you pick it up, it's yours. You don't--I have no sympathy for you. You wanna go out on those raids tonight and clear it, clear it, it's yours. If not you're going to be shining my shoes. Bunch of losers sitting around in a inn. (in a mocking weak voice) "Oh yeah, I used to be a raider, it's a tough racket." (he takes out large stack of red index cards tied together with string from his traveling pack) These are the new strats. These are the Vodka strats. And to you, they're gold. And you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. (he hands the stack to Assistant GM) They're for raiders.
I'd wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. (to raid leader as he puts on his ring again) And to answer your question, pal: why am I here? I came here because the officer council asked me to, they asked me for a favor. I said, the real favor, follow my advice and fire your fucking ass because a loser is a loser.

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

Original speech from Glengarry Glen Ross much better.

Skittles
Premium Member

Skittles

Premium Member

its the same speech only changed relevant words to be WoW realated....

Lothario
Ottawa, ON

Lothario

i'm aware.....

Skittles
Premium Member

Skittles

Premium Member

I doubt it
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to s1deout

Premium Member

to s1deout
It depends on what kind of guild you want and your mission.

Does you guild have any idea where it wants to go?

My two guilds are for family and folks who want to have a laid back, casual experience. We tried a few raids, and decided they weren't worth the effort (for us as a guild).

I prefer crafting, and exploring personally.

It's tough to recruit, until you know what you want.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Vinceruos_t

Premium Member

to Vinceruos_t
said by Vinceruos_t:

The best way to recruit is to run Pug raids IMO.

agreed. Short of that... it's a numbers game. Talk to people. Lots of people. The recruitment macros are like robo calling... there is a chance to get some good recruits, but you get a lot of flotsam. I'd also do some /who {insert large guild name} during raid nights to see who isn't getting into their guild raids. Talk to them. Find it out they'd at least be interested in joining you guys as PuGs.

If it's all about raiding and progression, then expect turnover based on perception of success/failure. You'll get people that join and leave based on how many kills you get.... and that's okay (it has to be, because you can't control it, lol).

What does your guild offer players when you aren't raiding? It's tough to build a bench if those outside your raiding party aren't also doing things together.
cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it
Houma, LA

cigtyme

I had the same problem with the people either being gung-ho and being too far from the relaxed people. We lost a raider already due to dailies. So now i am also looking to fill holes up.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Part of this is just being in a new expansion. People have expectations of the expansion, the guild, and the raid progression. These are the growing pains of guild management. One way to mitigate these pains for a progression raiding guild is to work together through the beta raids. We aren't serious enough to have done this, so we are dealing with all unknowns at the same time.

All I can say is, "hang in there and do your best." No one can ask you to do better than that.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to s1deout

to s1deout
Which server? And where are the forums that people post to to recruit? I'm on Altar of Storms and thinking about something new if I could find the right group of people.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to s1deout

Premium Member

to s1deout
I find it interesting (from an unintended consequences perspective) that dailies are causing people to quit.

Like ... if you like to raid ... just don't do dailies and get your gear from raids and LFR? That VP neck isn't really going to make that huge a difference.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Nick D:

Like ... if you like to raid ... just don't do dailies and get your gear from raids and LFR? That VP neck isn't really going to make that huge a difference.

if you don't do dailies... you are giving up a lot more than a neck item.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to s1deout

Premium Member

to s1deout
There is only one solution to this problem.

Mal'Ganis - Horde side.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
You're giving up VP gear which can be slotted in from raid drops, and coins, which just translates to more gear.

I mean, do you take a hit on your maximum output? Yes, but I'd argue that outside of world 100, becoming a better player will make a much larger impact than 3 more epics.

People should not feel like they cannot raid in the average raiding guild if they do not do dailies. And if people only play to raid, quitting because of dailies seems awkward.

This all being said, I agree with the view that it is dumb to have a variety of ways to get valor, but only one way to spend it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well without VP gear you'll have alot of grinding to get into LFR.

IE nearly 100% heroic gear, maybe you'll get lucky and get one of the few heroic epics, and then hopefully you'll farm the holidays for 470's

and of course hope to have the gold to get the crafted epics, because without rep you are not making them.
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar to Exodus

to Exodus
Raiding worthy guilds I want to apply, that actually can clear normal MSV, even if I was there before and demonstrated I'm a capable player geared enough for the raid, asking to fill a very long and tiresome application form, like I'm going to tell them the name of my first dog and names of my high school buddies to apply and like I going to remember the last 10 guilds I was in before. Sorry I'm here to play not to tell you a full story of my life dude (the recruiter).

I'm not even showing them my UI, it's my own, I use my keybinds as I please, my brain is not the same as you pal!. and like there's a valid world of logs I have right now since I've raid so little this expansion, I'm not looking for a DS one that I could remember..

Why they don't just let me try out, if I'm good I stay if not I leave.. simple as that..

Then it's back to pugging, where is no such complaints.. it could go well or very bad as in zero bosses downed bad in 3 hours.. that's a risk right now..

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
Troy, OH

s1deout to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
It might come to that. If we can't find a people to build our guild then the wife and I are talking server xfer .

Sad thing is I just xferred over all my 85's about 9 months ago.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Never raid on a low pop server. Missing players? You can go to trade chat and pick up 3 within 5 minutes.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

There is only one solution to this problem.

Mal'Ganis - Horde side.

Archivis has a very good point. The server has a lot to do on this, last night I joined a trade pug, it was 6 guildies and us 4 pugs we went in with no expectations and we downed dogs and got feng to third phase with our best attempt at 15% before people (mostly the pugs) left. Then the rest got together and went to the Summit and put a Sha kill together in minutes.

Now we have to say this, even if you don't get in with your guild people has to be self motivated enough to do whatever it takes to go in experience and learn the fights.
Jobbie

Jobbie to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

Never raid on a low pop server. Missing players? You can go to trade chat and pick up 3 within 5 minutes.

1 min apart.
cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it
Houma, LA

cigtyme to s1deout

to s1deout
Well the person quit due to the dailies and the grind of so many of them. Yes you can gear via Heroics, get to 460, grind the LFR, but just like in an Amway pyramid system, that toon will always be behind the person grinding the rep.

Anyone with a toon lying arround send me a PM. If this breaks rules of recruitment, let me know and i will tear it down.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
Troy, OH

s1deout to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
Yea I hear you about being on a low pop server. Although our's is a medium pop one. There as a MV raid last nite looking for about an hour for 3 or 4 people.

As far as going horde , never been horde , always been alliance so not sure how that would xfer over if I server transferred.

Our guild goals:

1. Successfully raid current content with 10's. Not hardcore but not casual either.
2. Build a solid bench with a couple of replacements.
3. Provide a friendly guild atmosphere where people are not pressured into raiding or anything else.
4. If you do commit to raid , then you fully commit is all we ask.

We have one person who has like 3 90's but does not want to raid and just enjoys playing the game.

Guess for now I will have to play on both sides of the fence. Trying to build our raid team and keeping my options open for a new home.

Any server suggestions for xferring?
cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it
Houma, LA

cigtyme to s1deout

to s1deout
transferring the whole guild, or just you??

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to s1deout

Premium Member

to s1deout
said by s1deout:

Any server suggestions for xferring?

Mal'Ganis horde-side

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Must kill horde.

Being on a PvP server has caused me to kill random horde

sorry you took a quest mob, you must die now.

or

sorry I thought you were a quest mob, but you attacked back so you die now.

some unknown horde killed me, you die now.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to s1deout

Premium Member

to s1deout
We have unlimited raiding, no dependency on a guild, a level 25 guild for a home (if you want).