share rss forum feed

ncted

join:2010-10-25
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

[DSL] Durham, NC options

Hello,

From their website, it looks like Frontier is now offering 12/2Mb and 25/3Mb DSL in Durham, NC. Is this really available? I have received nothing in the mail to indicate this service is actually here. Also, I am considering switching to Dish Network from TimeWarnerCable. Can I bundle dry-loop DSL with Dish Network on Frontier for a discount?

Thanks,
Ted

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

You will need to call Frontier to find out what is actually available in your area. Hopefully the individual that you talk with has the correct information and will not steer you in the wrong direction.

ncted

Raleigh, NC

Yeah, I know. I was hoping to set some expectations before I began CSR roulette.

asterger

join:2004-11-26
Raleigh, NC
reply to ncted

Received mailing last week from Frontier touting 6Mb, 12Mb and 25Mb Internet service. Small print sez, "With qualifying phone, High-Speed Internet and a one-year agreement." Pricing "AS LOW AS" $57.99/month.

Backside small print indicates $200 early termination fee, $49.99 High-Speed Internet setup fee. A $9.99 broadband processing fee upon disconnect applies.

Was wondering if anyone was using this.

ncted

Raleigh, NC

Sounds like a POTS line is required.

asterger

Raleigh, NC
reply to ncted

Yes, already have POTS with Frontier.

Last DSL I had at a different location was okay but pings were in the 20-30ms range. Although not a gamer, I do like snappy response in my browser. As all DSL suffers from high ping timing, DSL would not be my first choice for Internet.

ncted

Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I used to have Verizon 7Mb DSL, and I was very happy. Once Frontier actually took over the network, it was horrible. Latency was close to 100ms, so I switched to TWC/RR. Internet on TWC is pretty good, but the cable service is pretty bad, so I was considering switching to Dish and Frontier if the bundle was good enough. Sounds like I could keep RR and just switch from cable to Dish (can't get DirecTV at my house).

Thanks,
Ted

asterger

Raleigh, NC

Received another Frontier mailing today.

Get 3 Months of Free Internet... Offer expires 11/30/2012

frontier.com/free

ncted

Raleigh, NC
reply to ncted

Well, according to Frontier, DSL is not available at my address, so I guess I am sticking with Road Runner.

ncted

Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by ncted:

Well, according to Frontier, DSL is not available at my address, so I guess I am sticking with Road Runner.

I spoke with my neighbor who claims he gets constant calls and mailings saying he can get DSL on his landline. I do not trust Frontier knows whether I can get DSL or not as my house is new construction.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to asterger

said by asterger:

As all DSL suffers from high ping timing, DSL would not be my first choice for Internet.

Never noticed that with AT&T Yahoo! HSI service. First hop latency on FastPath was typically 10-11 ms. If I felt that 10-11 ms latency was critical, I think I could convince my current ISP (Sonic.net, LLC) to limit my D/L speed to 12 Mbps, which should raise my down SNR to 9-10 dB. Then I could request FastPath, instead of my current Interleaved.

I just don't think my current first hop latency of ~25 ms is a problem.
Tracing route to www.google.com [74.125.224.112]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms     1 ms  homeportal [192.168.42.1]
  2    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  173-228-7-1.dsl.static.sonic.net [173.228.7.1]
  3    25 ms    24 ms    24 ms  gig1-4.cr1.lsatca11.sonic.net [70.36.243.13]
  4    25 ms    25 ms    24 ms  0.xe-5-1-0.gw.pao1.sonic.net [69.12.211.1]
  5    26 ms    25 ms    25 ms  0.xe-6-0-0.gw3.equinix-sj.sonic.net [64.142.0.185]
  6    25 ms    26 ms    26 ms  eqixsj-google-gige.google.com [206.223.116.21]
  7    27 ms    26 ms    26 ms  216.239.49.168
  8    27 ms    27 ms    27 ms  64.233.174.109
  9    26 ms    27 ms    27 ms  nuq04s08-in-f16.1e100.net [74.125.224.112]

Trace complete.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

DSL latency isn't that bad. I find that much of the latency if it isn't from Interleaving adding 5-40ms latency, is due to what the path between the modem and the first router has to go through and the quality of the modem. Usually first hop latency is caused either by speed profiles that do not involve Interleaved/FastPath mode, slower/older modems, and from that point, how far the path is between the CO and the first router. In comparison to Cable in this area, latency is pretty much on par with the second hop with all things considered.

Expand your moderator at work

tickets

join:2013-01-09
Durham, NC
reply to ncted

Re: [DSL] Durham, NC options

yes it is true

depending on your exact location the speeds may be actually better than that.

the amount of $$$ spent by frontier on network improvements
during the recent past is going to go down in broadband history as an act of technical genius.

ping me directly if i need to elaborate.

tickets

Expand your moderator at work

ncted

Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to tickets

Re: [DSL] Durham, NC options

said by tickets:

yes it is true

depending on your exact location the speeds may be actually better than that.

the amount of $$$ spent by frontier on network improvements
during the recent past is going to go down in broadband history as an act of technical genius.

ping me directly if i need to elaborate.

tickets

How do I ping you directly? I am interested in knowing more, especially how to get Frontier to acknowledge I can get service at my address (which has never had phone service).

tickets

join:2013-01-09
Durham, NC

sorry
try the newly activated email link

let me know if it's not do-able

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
reply to ncted

What part of Durham are you in?

ncted

Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by MrBungle87:

North of 70 near Miami/Mineral Springs. I got the news that we will be getting the new higher speed service "soon." Right now we are stuck at the original ADSL speeds in my neighborhood. Time Warner Cable is really annoying me, so I will likely try the new Frontier service when it arrives.

Ted

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

said by ncted:

said by MrBungle87:

North of 70 near Miami/Mineral Springs. I got the news that we will be getting the new higher speed service "soon." Right now we are stuck at the original ADSL speeds in my neighborhood. Time Warner Cable is really annoying me, so I will likely try the new Frontier service when it arrives.

Ted

Well, if it's any consolation, we were just upgraded to VDSL2 (25 down/2 up) the other day in west Durham, near I-85. Apparently, most if not all of the COs in the Raleigh/Durham area are VDSL2 capable now, so it's just a matter of them actually telling you whether you're eligible for VDSL2 or bonded ADSL2+. I'm less than a mile from the CO, so we were able to get 25/2 without any bonding necessary, but it's just distance dependent.

I would suggest contacting the GM for North Carolina at Dennis.Bloss@ftr.com and asking him what you're eligible for. The call center reps probably won't know, since it's new technology for Frontier.