Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to goalieskates

Re: Secret Service Asks Americans to Report Tweets

said by goalieskates:

And is there any such thing as a private tweet when it comes to the government?

No, just as there is no such thing as a private email or post (anywhere).
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

I used to build my own stuff decades ago. Today it's all in kit form--just buy the Leggo blocks and plug em together.

Of course just having that stuff gets you a special place in Bob's databases

Then my old 200 in 1 electronics kit/board from my school days would suggest "activities worth monitoring"? Sheesh.......my new favorite word.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 edits

Click for full size
Science Fair 50-in-1
I have a Science Fair 50-in-1 from the late 60's.

Oh crap! Now Bob knows

But they'll have to pry my Science Fair crystal radio from my cold dead hands I use that to receive orders from one of the two broadcasters that still use AM.
--

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

Twitter = the new medium for McCarthyism...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

said by StuartMW:

BTW nice gadget. Tried taking that through airport security lately?

Want to cause your local TSA some excitement, try popping through security with this, 50 questions is only the warm-up.

Blake

why would you not put that as baggage, its worth the $25 $50
--
[i]IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR
ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.[/i]
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to StuartMW

They don't have enough agents to investigate the thousands of threats on twitter. Twitter has effectively removed the last of any internal filters this latest generation had left.

Burst! @NooNiggaNoo_
i hate mitt romney so bad that if he becomes president im gunna kill him

@THEnxtxrixusTIG
Paul Ryan isn't all bad, but I swear to god I'm assassinating Romney if he gets elected/—
LORD TIG (@THEnxtxrixusTIG) October 12, 2012

@E_Zz_E
obama better win , or I'm gonna assassinate Romney—
SammySosaVisions (@E_Zz_E) October 12, 2012
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by ProtusMose:

They don't have enough agents to investigate the thousands of threats on twitter.

I wouldn't be sure of that. They have a week to track those tweets down.
--

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to StuartMW

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

quote:
Metal detectors and luggage scans aren’t the only way U.S. Customs and Border Protection identifies national security threats. The agency also keeps close tabs on social-media sites, and it allegedly detained two British tourists after a questionable Twitter conversation, according to British newspapers.

British Tourists’ Tweets Get Them Denied Entry to the U.S.

That's ok. I'm sure only foreigners tweets are monitored. Bob doesn't care about those in the US.
--

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Cartel

Good to see them putting their Obamaphones to good use. /sarcasm

Expand your moderator at work

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

2 recommendations

reply to StuartMW

Re: Secret Service Asks Americans to Report Tweets

said by StuartMW:

quote:
The Secret Service has expanded its operation to Twitter, urging Americans to report on their fellow citizens whose tweets “concern you.”

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasi

"The Stasi infiltrated almost every aspect of GDR life. In the mid-1980s, a network of IMs began growing in both German states; by the time East Germany collapsed in 1989, the Stasi employed 91,015 employees and 173,081 informants. About one of every 63 East Germans collaborated with the Stasi. By at least one estimate, the Stasi maintained greater surveillance over its own people than any secret police force in history. The Stasi employed one full-time agent for every 166 East Germans. The ratios swelled when informers were factored in; counting part-time informers, the Stasi had one informer per 6.5 people. By comparison, the Gestapo employed one secret policeman per 2,000 people. "

Come on Amerika, do the Lord's work and get the informer ratio down to 1:1 and seize the record from those atheistic Commie bastards.
Be a patriot and inform on yourself.
USA! USA! USA!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate authorities
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by StuartMW:

quote:
The Secret Service has expanded its operation to Twitter, urging Americans to report on their fellow citizens whose tweets “concern you.”

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasi

"The Stasi infiltrated almost every aspect of GDR life ... counting part-time informers, the Stasi had one informer per 6.5 people. ..." ...

When everybody is regularly informing on everybody else, the government can compile dossiers brimming with a range of 'offenses' for every single citizen, no matter how trivial the purported offense. Then those dossiers can be trotted out and used whenever somebody in the governing apparatus has a reason to want to imprison or 'take out' any given person, no matter how self-serving or unjust the real reason might be since that real reason never has to be revealed. The Soviets honed this to a fine art and populated the Gulag Archipelago with victims, many of whom were ensnared in this very manner.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Your topic has been forwarded to the appropriate authorities.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

MaynardKrebs
Premium

1 recommendation

"Give me six lines written by the most honorable of men, and I will find an excuse in them to hang him."
----- Cardinal Richelieu ..... & pretty much every spook ever

Whadda ya think them big data centers the NSA runs in Texas and Utah are for? Gathering the best chili recipes and discussion about whether 1966 Camaro's are better than 1966 Mustangs?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_Richelieu
Richelieu is also notable for the authoritarian measures he employed to maintain power. He censored the press, established a large network of internal spies, forbade the discussion of political matters in public assemblies such as the Parlement de Paris (a court of justice), and had those who dared to conspire against him prosecuted and executed. The Canadian historian and philosopher John Ralston Saul has referred to Richelieu as the "father of the modern nation-state, modern centralised power [and] the modern secret service."

"Your civil liberties are what we say they are."
--- Big Brother

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to fatness

said by fatness:

said by StuartMW:

Your topic has been forwarded to the appropriate authorities.

They are too busy right now posting their own topics.

»twitter.com/SecretService
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

When everybody is regularly informing on everybody else, the government can compile dossiers brimming with a range of 'offenses' for every single citizen, no matter how trivial the purported offense. Then those dossiers can be trotted out and used whenever somebody in the governing apparatus has a reason to want to imprison or 'take out' any given person, no matter how self-serving or unjust the real reason might be since that real reason never has to be revealed. The Soviets honed this to a fine art and populated the Gulag Archipelago with victims, many of whom were ensnared in this very manner.

Absolutely. And the rationale most commonly given was, "if you have nothing to hide, you won't have a problem." Only in practice you did have a very big problem, you never knew when they were coming for you and for what, or who turned you in or why. Political correctness ran rampant.

Now we see otherwise rational people here using the same excuse for giving up freedoms in the name of "security." They'd do well to remember Stasi stands for "State Security." It's an old concept, and a bad one. And completely un-American.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

...... the government can compile dossiers brimming with a range of 'offenses' for every single citizen, no matter how trivial the purported offense. Then those dossiers can be trotted out and used whenever somebody in the governing apparatus has a reason to want to imprison or 'take out' any given person, no matter how self-serving or unjust the real reason might be since that real reason never has to be revealed......

The Police are to busy using Onsit/onstat (whatever the stupid thing is) using a combination of realtime-and historical data to bother running something of this nature. Further afield maybe so.

said by goalieskates:

Now we see otherwise rational people here using the same excuse for giving up freedoms in the name of "security." They'd do well to remember Stasi stands for "State Security." It's an old concept, and a bad one. And completely un-American.

I see where you are going from but people being in that space expect that others and other things will follow.... It's a people thing also. Not just government. And the people and government can co-exist. That's also their realization.

To understand better the driving forces behind the topic, this article say's some of it (most).

»www.theage.com.au/it-pro/busines···hhj.html

or should it be this one??///

»www.theage.com.au/it-pro/busines···hhi.html
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Whadda ya think them big data centers the NSA runs in Texas and Utah are for?

Capturing every electronic piece of communication everyone everywhere sends and storing it for future reference? Just a wild guess.

Bob likes to "watch".
--

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by StuartMW:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Whadda ya think them big data centers the NSA runs in Texas and Utah are for?

Capturing every electronic piece of communication everyone everywhere sends and storing it for future reference? Just a wild guess.

Bob likes to "watch".

Everything is a database can and will eventually be used against you. When do you think they will purge those databases?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

Yup. I say the exact same thing here a lot. But then I'm just paranoid

*dons his tinfoil hat*

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

When do you think they will purge those databases?

Not before google purges theirs.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Well Bob gets a lot of his data from Google so...
--

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

I have a Science Fair 50-in-1 from the late 60's.

But they'll have to pry my Science Fair crystal radio from my cold dead hands I use that to receive orders from one of the two broadcasters that still use AM.

The energy leaks coming from that technology would have them thinking you had a small reactor in your basement, where as mine with all the plastic and smaller components wouldn't read as loud and might pass for just the trigger not the device, so I get the second knock at the door after they have visited you.

Mind you they were fun at the time. Mind you I watched peg leg pete and a few other kid's shows later deemed "bad influence", "gay", "detrimental and unstable", etc.....so that may still get me a knock at the door first.

Oh, wait, this isn't twitter.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

said by norwegian:

Oh, wait, this isn't twitter.

Don't worry--the delay will only be slightly longer

BTW crystal radios don't require any power. They're receivers only. Might come in handy if Bob cuts the power
--
Expand your moderator at work