spc
uniqs

dualsport
@shawcable.net

dualsport to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds

Re: [BC] Nelson shaw customers overpaying for something they can

Let me just say, I finally found something that seems to have jogged Shaw to the problem. Net Index took the speed test results from 8000 individual ip addresses in Nelson for the last month and the average speed was 4.3Mbps. Its not just my connection!... I sent this to shaw, a rep called me, cancelled my house call and stated they see a problem in Nelson and will be in touch and ask me to see how it improves. This is what it takes to get action. The CSR route just is a big circle, reset the modem ad nauseam, etc etc. send a tech to your house...nothing changes I have done it all, finally they see a problem? you too can go to net index for your community, the average for BC is apparently 87% of promised speed, here in Nelson we get about 25%. Its like going to the gas pumps and expecting a fill up but getting 25% for full price and there is nothing you can do about it!
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

said by dualsport :

Its like going to the gas pumps and expecting a fill up but getting 25% for full price and there is nothing you can do about it!

So how many Gigabytes are you short of what you were hoping to get for last month?

The more correct analogy would be:
It's like paying taxes for roads to move at 50km/h and ending up moving 10km/h on average because of the traffic.

dualsport
@shawcable.net

dualsport

Anon

I think you are misunderstanding, its not about gigabytes short its about the instantaneous download speeds, do you remember the early days of dialup internet and how long it took? Well its analagous to that, I pay for 20Megabytes download, I typically only receive 4 Megabytes speed down of much less, so if you are watching a youtube video, it stalls and waits and catches up and quits etc., if I had speed it would play continuously.
dualsport

dualsport to ilianame

Anon

to ilianame
thanks for that, yes a far better analogy,

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to ilianame

Premium Member

to ilianame
Thats was going to be my comment to.

For a gas station, you would still be getting a full-tank, but it might take you an hour to fill the tank, because the pump was slow.

Also, the average speed reported on speedtest.net does not take into account the different internet speeds.

Shaw Access for example is just under .5 mbps, averaged with 1 other user getting 20, would have an average of 10, even if the two users got the maximum speed.

For a very long time, most Shaw customers had the High Speed, 5 and then 7.5 when it was upgraded.

Not saying Nelson doesn't have a speed issue, but you are not presenting enough information to say that the entire City is.

11,000 people should have a few nodes, not just one, so without more data, we can not say either way, if every node is slow, or just a couple of them (maybe only one)

dualsport
@shawcable.net

dualsport

Anon

sound like shaw employees supporting my slow speeds as normal?

explain this to me, apples and apples I think I am using.

I have done numerous tests using speedtest.net or Shaw speed test.

I mean tests at random 24/7 3am 2pm you name it. even shaws CSR's have sent me to speedtest.net, trying to get me some numbers. These numbers are all I have, although there seems to be those who wish to deny these and suggest they don't count and are not accurate. They must have some validity! My speed tests this past day with either shaw speed test or speedtest.net is showing variations obviously but they are quadrupled from all my months beforehand, when I would see .8 1.4 4 etc etc, now I see 8.9 11.7 16.8 14.8 regularly on both, I will let you know in a month. Do you deny net index results from 8000 unique ip addresses in Nelson averaging 4.2 or so download speeds when we should all be shaw customers of their 10 and up packages. I had a problem, shaw fixed it, are they doing this knowingly? I have to believe they are fiddling with me, I think there is a network piece of equipment in my neighborhood they throttled up because of my complaints allowing me some speeds I now see on speed tests, or can they just give me a burst when they see me going to a speed test site? I think the subject is simple, Nelson is underserved now matter how you measure it, I know it, most others don't know and probably don't care.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

Dualsport,

Forgive the side-strafing,
to be honest we all understand your problem,
forgoing the analogies and the bits vs bytes,
I'm sure you're actually getting 4.5Mbit vs expected 20Mbit.

This story is as old as Shaw,
and really beside the perpetual CSR-Support-TechnicianToHouse-Repeat, you've already went beyond by submitting the averages for your town.

So to acknowledge your concern:
YES, Shaw continually collects service fees for service that they advertise to have a certain amount of speed per second, yet in reality the service delivered is not up to advertised speeds.

NO, they do not proactively offer refunds, nor do they monitor each individual account for the performance.

YES, it is outrageous and deceptive.
NO, you are not the only one.
NO, this is not new.

YES, Shaw has given refunds and prorated adjustments on per-case basis.

The whole situation is location-specific, and in the end, you have to consider what is available to you locally, and if 4.51Mbits is the highest speed offered in Nelson (by Shaw), then that is what you will get. It is your responsibility to adjust your Internet plans according to the area - and NO it's not supposed to be - but it is what it is
ilianame

ilianame to dualsport

to dualsport
Also, some grain of salt on the SpeedTest statistics:

We have 8,585 users total, averaging 4.28Mbits each.
Let's hypothetically assume the spread between DSL users and Shaw
is 50/50, and let's hypothetically assume that the DSL users are
getting the 100% of their advertised 1.5Mbits on each test (fat chance)
Then we have 4,292 users getting 1.5Mbit everytime, which leaves us
Another 4,292 users getting no less than 7.06Mbits every speedtest

It sure isn't 20Mbit, but is very close to 80% of 10Mbit