uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á
reply to bill672

Re: Gen 4 problems with OSX Mountain Lion

Have you tried tweaking your Network settings with Cocktail, MacPilot, TinkerTool System or the like? You might experiment with different settings to see if it might make a difference.

If you do find a solution, please let us know. I am holding off getting the Xplornet 4G Satellite service (using the Hughesnet system) because of this issue myself.
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6

smoline

@myvzw.com

I was the original poster on the HN forum on this issue. We didn't figure out it was a Mountain Lion problem until several weeks of troubleshooting. I suggested that HN put a disclaimer on their main website letting people know that although Gen4 might be Mac-compatible, it is NOT compatible with Mountain Lion. I also suggested that they not charge me the monthly fee for a service that is not compatible with my OS. You can guess the answer.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

said by smoline :

I was the original poster on the HN forum on this issue. We didn't figure out it was a Mountain Lion problem until several weeks of troubleshooting. ... I also suggested that they not charge me the monthly fee for a service that is not compatible with my OS.

You helped a lot of customers, potential customers, and HughesNet by debugging a system which shouldn't have been released out of beta testing. Thanks!

You do have 30 days after the installation to cancel your service with Hughes without an early termination fee. It's difficult to recommend an alternative to Gen4 at this time however.
--
HT1000/Time Capsule, Exede 12/Airport Express, OSX Snow Leopard

C0RR0SIVE88

@direcway.com

I would say, no matter what, unless the satellite was a total failure, that corporate would have pushed it through no matter what showed up during testing unless it was something that could have caused serious issues across the board. It was up for 2 months, during that time the system wasn't bringing in any money, so it was costing serious cash just to keep it on stand-by. So it does make sense that they pushed it out in a rush to help fund the satellite. Yes, there are bugs, but, the bugs aren't exactly the worst kind IMO, and they are working towards a fix for these types of issues.

I am surprised this particular issue wasn't noticed during tests though, maybe they just didn't have enough users, or, users with several apple products to test with. Still strange that Apple products are having such issues.

bill672

join:2004-09-02
Cambridge, NY
reply to smoline

Smoline,
Have you tried connecting a non-Mountain Lion computer to your Gen 4 network to see if it gets higher speeds? It could be an older Mac or a Windows computer. Maybe a friend or neighbor with a laptop could try it.
--
Upstate NY HN9000 Apple Airport(802.11n)/ Mac OS X 10.6

smoline

@myvzw.com

Bill: Yes, we did that. It was one of the things we did to isolate the problem to Mountain Lion. A Windows machine on the same modem got the advertised speed. In fact, even a Mac with OS X Lion (10.7) received the advertised speed. The issue is limited to Mountain Lion, and any devise running iOS 6, like an iPad or iPhone.

James

@12.153.112.x
reply to smoline

Smoline, thank you for that post. It was helpful. Can you identify what troubleshooting steps you took prior to using a PC?