spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dualsport

@shawcable.net

[BC] Something fishy going on in Nelson with shaw speeds!

If you have seen my past posts complaining about speeds, and me getting about 25% or my 20Mbps, I had a call from a shaw rep yesterday, cancelling my house call, advising they see a problem in Nelson. This morning I now see speeds in excess or 12Mbps something I haven't seen in months if ever. Going to Net index statistics for Nelson, out of 8000+ unique ip addresses in Nelson doing a speed test last month the average speed was 4.2Mbps. Which is what I was seeing. Yet I pay for 20Mbps, as probably do most of those 8000 testing if not more, something is fishy here to me. Are they controlling our modems except for those that can see we are not getting the speed we pay for?

landons

join:2005-11-28
Trail, BC

I'm physically located in Trail, BC and I also pay for 20Mbps but only get that kind of speed during the day. After around 5PM it drops down to about 2Mbps with 5%-10% packet loss and the latency doubles and almost triples depending on the geographic location on the other end.

The only time I play multiplayer games is in the evening and I cannot because of the latency. I can't even look at youtube videos without the video pausing and then seeing the dreaded loading icon throughout the video regardless of what resolution I choose (480p - 1080p). I'm getting seriously miffed since I first reported this to Shaw in February and nothing has been done so far except I received a credit for the difference between the lower plan and the extreme plan I'm paying for.

My Public Test History Page:
»/testhistory/1295192/bc76e

Incidentally I've been noticing a lot of trucks around town lately installing fiber optic cable. No idea if this is related but I've seen Shaw *and* Telus trucks at various manholes as well. Wondering if they are going to beef up the area's Internet connectivity and finally resolve this crap.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

YouTube is having seperate issues with Shaw lately, so it may be a very different issue.

@dualsport As you suggested, I looked at my city speeds, shows 11.65 mbps for Shaw, my connection I just tested at 88 mbps.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

landons

Trail, BC

The problems with Youtube could be the fact that Shaw doesn't seem to know how peering works and the paths are ridiculously long (17+ hops to most major web presences and services).

I don't know what they are doing for peering if much at all but the latency changes plus packet loss plus slow transit speeds in the evenings point to peak usage issues they are not resolving.

That's mostly what pisses me off - they know about them but aren't fixing them. I could deal with slow transfer speeds in the evenings if the latency didn't shoot up and there was no packet loss. The jitter is ridiculous too which causes havoc on any gaming I might try to do.

Sandiy

@shawcable.net
reply to dualsport

Not sure why you needed another post about this...

Nothing fishy here at all. A some what out of the way location, small population... Seeing as all you can get is a maximum of 25mbps Shaw hasn't been doing much for upgrades in that area.

I hate to say it but either live with it and hope it gets fixed eventually or move to Telus.

Look into Shaw's network upgrades and you will see how far behind Nelson, BC is. I am on a 250 MegaBit connection and can pull 25+ MegaBytes all day long after the upgrades.

dualsport

@shawcable.net
reply to landons

Lucky you to see 20Mbps during the day, I never saw it. But now I am getting quadruple my speeds up to 11 thru even 16Mbps download on speedtest.net.
Coincidence? I posted on »community.shaw.ca/thread/1853
which is shaws support forum. Received a call sunday afternoon from a shaw employee who told me they were cancelling my housecall, they had discovered a local problem and would be in touch I should see improvements. Today I am finding speeds on speedtest I have never achieved before, up to 16Mbps down, when I was getting a quarter or less all the time anytime of the day before. What did they find? I have been reading a lot, I think they have a piece of equipment in my neighborhood they changed to give me a little more of the pipe, they are underequipped her in Nelson is my quess, and most people don't know it, and can't complain they just pay for 10 or 20 and only get 4 or less like I was because they don't know. draw your own conclusions, I think they are playing with us, yes they are also laying new cables here in Nelson along with Telus, if you look at Telus and Shaw NetIndex speeds they are both avg below 5Mbps in Nelson, although we all are expecting 10 or 20 but nobody knows any better, so they get away with it.

Termanology

@shawcable.net
reply to dualsport

MBps is an abbreviation for Megabytes per second, whereas Mbps is an abbreviation for megabits per second. Eight megabits equal one Megabyte. These abbreviations are commonly used to specify how much data can be transferred per second between two points. In some cases, mbps is used as an abbreviation for megabits per second; however, the lowercase m technically means "milli" not "mega," so it doesn't really mean the same thing.

To put megabits and Megabytes in perspective, let's back up for just a moment. One bit of data is a single "on" or "off" digit, a one or zero. It takes eight bits to represent a single character, or one byte of data.

Shaw50

@shawcable.net
reply to dualsport

Yes I would say they are lacking equipment in Nelson. I bet they haven't even done the DNU (Digital Network Upgrade) there yet.

Go to Shaw.ca at the top of the page change it to Vancouver. See the difference in internet offerings? When an area gets all those different offerings many upgrades have had to take place first. Nelson doesn't appear to have any upgrades done.

I'm sorry but your entire logic with that NetIndex is wrong. I have a 250Mbps line, my cities average is 31Mbps. By your logic I am being ripped off... Shaw offers so many different speed plans that all that NetIndex site is doing is averaging them, LoL!

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
reply to landons

Google provides cache servers for most medium sized and bigger ISPs so peering doesn't matter.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to dualsport

You wanna see bad peers, switch to Telus! 100ms to Seattle on any provider. They directly peer with almost no one. Shaw peers directly with Level3 and Internap, and probably more I don't know of.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01

said by rustydusty:

You wanna see bad peers, switch to Telus! 100ms to Seattle on any provider. They directly peer with almost no one. Shaw peers directly with Level3 and Internap, and probably more I don't know of.

ILECs typically prefer to "transit" vs "peer". They can make a lot of money being a transit provider. I don't work for Telus so I can't speak to their attitude about peering, but that could be why. Level3 doesn't peer, they are a transit provider and you pay them to cross their network. That's my understanding.

Ars Technica article on peering vs transit: »arstechnica.com/features/2008/09···transit/

landons

Trail, BC
reply to rustydusty

Telus CHARGES a lot for peering. They aren't interested in traffic exchange but rather they just want to make money for peering because they think they are hot shit.