Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

[Anime] Fall 2012: Currently watching

Ok, I'm gonna try AGAIN to get this topic started.

There really are a bunch of decent shows this season, I've just kept getting sidetracked in doing this thread. Here we go! WARNING! THIS IS A LONG POST!

Psycho-Pass: Wow, this is one of those creepy possible futures we all worry about. In the future, the government can monitor your sanity - your psychological state if you will, and if your anger/stress/badness level goes beyond a certain point, they send the gestapo out for you. How they handle it depends on your psycho level, they might stun your ass, or blow you away. Even better, the people they use to hunt you are criminals themselves, the Enforcers. The story focuses on Akane Tsunemori, a rookie fresh on the force. Done by the group that did Black Rock Shooter, the anime is nice and crisp, and the story dark and interesting.

Ixion Saga DT: From the opening that tries to spear your head with "DT" to the humorous ending featuring all the bad boys in various states of dress, the show hits home with comedy. Kon is a gamer, he loves his MMORPGs, and one day while playing, unwittingly accepts an offer to meet another player (a woman of course) only to find himself immersed into the game world itself, right in his own seat. Just in time to save the princess by sheer luck. What would you do if you were dropped into a game like this? I think I would find myself using the same unorthodox methods as Kon does to win, which results in even more hilarity (and pain) in the next episode. I get a sense of NEEDLESS when I see this, but not trying to take itself too seriously.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo / The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Sorata Kanda is a kind hearted, cat attracting high schooler, living on campus. When he's told to lose the cat or move into Sakurasou, the "gifted" dorm, he chose the latter. He doesn't really belong there, as he's "normal" and he makes a daily pledge to get out of there ASAP, as he is surrounded by art students that aren't exactly there completely, from the anime-maker crazy girl, to the womanizing guy, to the teacher that is looking for the next guy to grab. Enter Mashiro, the new student. Incredibly gifted, but completely socially inept, and Sorata is charged with her care. A romantic comedy, that just does well. The anime style reminded me of You and Me.

Code:Breaker: Sakura Sakurakouji is riding home one evening, when she glances out the window to find a boy surrounded by a group of people engulfed in blue flame. She gets off and gets the cops involved, but no sign of the boy or burned corpses remain. Next day at school, the new transfer student arrives, Rei Ogami. Naturally the object of all the girls, and he obviously denies everything to Sakura, but he's there to do her in for witnessing what happened. That is until Sakura has a run in with the friends of the toasted people from before, to which Rei comes to the rescue. Sort of. Could be good continuing, as there are a whole group of these code breakers, and they don't all appear to be on the same side. Should be interesting moving forward.

Blast of Tempest: Hakaze Kusaribe is a sorceress, in fact, she's the most powerful of her family. Her brother Samon stuffs her in a barrel and sends her to a barren island, isolated from the world, and thus out of his hair so he can resurrect the "world tree". She sends a message in a bottle, basically a little wooden doll, which is picked up by Mahiro Fuwa, a boy obsessed with finding the killer of his sister. He agrees to help her, if she helps him find the killer. His not-really friend Yoshino Takigawa gets involved, since he was secretly dating the sister, and all sorts of magic fighting ensues. Nice action, nice plot, and good characters make this one a watcher.

Magi: Aladdin has a magic flute which allows him to call forth a giant (with no head) giving him quite powerful abilities. In his travels, he runs into Alibaba, and the two embark on exploring ruins called dungeons for magical treasure. Aladdin is a big boob loving kid, and the show moves along at a decent pace. I liked the first episode, but have kinda slacked on catching up with it. I will though, as it was decent enough.

Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter: Ok, need a fix of transforming cars and annoying kids? Well, here you go! The future where everyone from little kids on up can drive, thanks to AI cars, which basically just drive themselves. Enter our hero ace driver Kakeru. He wants to drive, and wouldn't you know it, he's damn good. (though really, if these things drive themselves, just how good can you be?) Well, the powers that be have noticed, and choose him to pilot/drive/use Raibird, the hot red car that this kid amazingly can control with no instruction whatsoever to defeat evil dude with glasses that had kidnapped the girl he likes in her Prius. Yes, a Prius. Now, I'm not gonna say this is BAD, well, it IS, but it could be worse. We will see more transforming cars and kids in coming weeks, from the maid-looking girl car for his girlfriend, to the fat tractor looking thing for the token fat kid, etc. So it will suck, oh it will suck, but it might suck so bad it's good. Maybe.....

My Little Monster: Mizutani Shizuku is a girl focused on her studies. She keeps to herself, and doesn't have friends. Lucky her, she's charged with bring famed delinquent Yoshida Haru his missed handouts. He was suspended on day one of school for beating the tar out of upperclassmen. The bloody outline is still at the scene! He comes across as unapproachable even by the teachers, so this seems more like punishment than anything else. Well, thanks to Mizu, he starts to come to school again, and it turns out he's rather gifted in his own right, and rather noble. He also has a thing for Mizu now. Romantic comedy that hits some good marks for me. These types of shows can be good, so-so, or horrible. This one falls on the good side for sure so far.

Say, "I love you": Much like My Little Monster this story focuses around Tachibana Mei, she's an awkward girl, who due to an unfortunate bunny death when she was little, was shunned by her friends, and thus keeps to herself. She spends her time in school studying. One day, a fellow student grabs her skirt not knowing who she was. Spinning around to deal utmost punishment, ends up kicking the wrong person. Enter Kurosawa Yamato, the pretty boy every girl in the school has a thing for. Well, the kick leaves him pretty lovestruck, and he wants to win her over. Another romantic comedy that works well.

Also continuing: Fairy Tail is done with the filler I believe, and the next arc is starting finally. Hunter X Hunter continues, Total Eclipse continues to trudge along it's harem ways, but I keep watching if only for the catchy opening song.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

You pretty much named everything I'm watching, plus a bunch that I'm now gonna check out.

I'm still watching Sword Art Online. I've started reading the light novels however, and at this point I think I'd like it better if they canceled this and brought back Accel World. While some of the upcoming fights will be nice to watch, the gaps between them are gonna take a loooooong time to get through. If they can get to Gun Gale Online that would be nice to watch, but with only 8 episodes left that's not gonna happen.

I'm really interested in Psycho-Pass and CØDE:BREAKER, but will most likely drop Ixion Saga DT after a few more episodes as I'm not much of a comedy fan (side note: I was not a fan of how NEEDLESS ended and would of much preferred to see Cruz get a power). I've been meaning to start Gyrozetter for a few days now, so I can't comment on it yet. Blast of Tempest and Magi have just been added to my 'watch' list

/M

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

said by mackey:

You pretty much named everything I'm watching, plus a bunch that I'm now gonna check out.

Well, that's the point of these threads. Sometimes you miss something and feel compelled to check it out once someone else mentions it. I got hooked on Toradora!! from these threads.

I'm also still following SAO - I've not read any of the novels, so I can't comment on that side of things, but the anime has been good for me.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to captokita

Mid-season update bump:

Well, I haven't picked up anything NEW, still watching all the above, but a couple of notes on a few:

Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World): I didn't mention this on my OP, but it's a show I've kinda kept up with. 8 episodes in (I'm one behind) and I still don't really know what's going on. The story revolves around a group of kids, attending a school to learn telekinesis, they all have some form of "power". The problem that this series has, is it's very erratic story, especially the radical turn in episode 8 when they jump two years forward...... ugh. The art style is also all over the place, you can't tell if it's a poor budget, or if they're really going for this look. I haven't written it off yet, but you might find yourself needing to watch it again to figure it out completely.

Ixion Saga DT: I'm loving this series, the comedy is wonderful, and the constant play on words is funny as hell. "DT" play on "virgin". Poor Erec too. "Let's go E-D" lol

Code Breaker: This series is going well, I like the different code breakers, but Sakurakouji is annoying as shit. Not enough to make me stop watching, but she IS annoying.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo / The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: THIS series is my favorite of the season. I don't really know why, but it's just overall great to me, even the fanservicey parts don't annoy me. I just really like the characters, the way they interact, and the story progression. I thought originally drawn like You and Me, but it hits me like Toradora!!! did.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

I started watching Ixion Saga DT, I enjoy the humor in the series, I watch it every week

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou- I have been watching this series, however as of the last few episodes, ehh I dont know, its feeling kind of done already. Meek female, indecisive male, and the regular hijinks. I hope they do something to differentiate the series.

My Little Monster- Love triangles all over, I am enjoying the story to this point.

Space Brothers- I love this series, I watch it every Saturday after it is available on Crunchyroll. It makes me want to be an astronaut.

SOA- I am only on chapter 16, I like where the real life stuff is going, i dont know how I feel about him jumping in a new mmorpg.

Btooom- I am on chapter 5, I like the series but it is a bit rough. I am worrying that I will start to like some of the characters and they will just senselessly be blown up.

Gintama- I like the one new arch they were showing, bummed with the reruns.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to captokita

I'm enjoying Pet Girl and Kamisama Kiss and Say I Love You. Mostly on the 360's Hulu Plus app as the Xbox Crunchy Roll app is still problematic.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to captokita

My Little Monster- Finsihed the series unless they are making more, lack of an ending is lame but no worse than most american tv shows.

Space Brothers- I love this series, I watch it every Saturday after it is available on Crunchyroll. It makes me want to be an astronaut.

SOA- Finshed this series unless they are making more. It had closure, and was entertaining. I was still disappointed by season 2.

Btooom- I liked the series enough to get the manga to know how it ends. I would like to see more of this series.

Gintama- I am bummed with the reruns.

Ixion Saga DT - Entertaining as always, I am glad it continues.

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou- I would have preferred more of My Little Monster, but the series is entertaining. Would prefer if the lead male had more balls, but balllessness seems to be a normal Japanese thing.

Jormungand - I like the sorta twist by the lead male, hope it gets more seasons.

I am so far disappointed with the new shows for Winter 2013, we shall see where it ends.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

Nice to see some postings in here. I had been meaning to add to this topic since it's season's end. So here goes:

Ixion Saga DT: Happy this is continuing, because it's funny as hell. Last week's was awesome. Gustave is just great. "For some reason I don't quite feel 100%, and have this bad headache.."

BTOOOM!!!: I didn't give this one a chance at the start of the season, I semi-watched the first episode, but I decided to retry it a few weeks back, and boy am I glad I did! I really enjoyed it, and the cliffhanger "Continue?" was a nice touch. I hope this continues, because it's a decent series. Though when series like Deadman Wonderland don't continue, you never know.

My little monster: One of the better series this season. I hope it continues, because it's really good, and there is more story to be told.

Say 'I love you': I read the manga for this, and the series has followed along quite well, but has differed in spots. I liked the ending, but I would like to see it continue at some point.

Sword Art Online: I liked the ending, even if the confrontation in the world was quite anti-climatic. It comes across as rushed, but I still enjoyed it overall.

Total Eclipse: This just ended with it's 2nd season, and it really was a tough one to continue with. I don't know what the story was trying to be, harem, action, drama, boring, it had it all, but what it didn't have, was a good story. Ah well. If it returns one day, I'll watch it. I'm a glutton.

Blast of Tempest: This is another one where I don't know what they want to do with it. Parts seem rushed, but others seem needlessly drawn out. I've liked it to this point, but I can't say it's something great.

Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Still my favorite of the season, this past week was great, and hope we get to see Sorata & Shina's relationship grow. I think this one is getting 24 episodes, so that makes me happy.

Fairy Tail: OUT OF FILLER!!!!!!! Back to the story finally. I have to catch up though, as the story resumes like 7 episodes ago. CR only holds 4 back eps on their site, but I download them anyway. shhhhhhh.

I need to catch up with several other series too, like Code Breaker, (which is really good!) Psycho Pass, Robotics:Notes, and a few others. I'll not comment on them now since I'm behind.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to captokita

Just watched this weeks Space Brothers, and wow it was a good episode. I'm qq up and next week appears to be another powerful episode.

If you are not watching the series you should.