share rss forum feed

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Northeast] Mail down with storm?

Hurricane Sandy here; internet working fine so far, but mail seems to be down. Since all of us have been having issues with mail for about a month now, at first I thought it was same old, same old (timing out), but just tried to go to webmail.verizon.net and IT timed out as well! So maybe storm related, but odd that it would affect mail and not internet (or phone, TV, etc.). Or it might just be more of the same mail issues going on before the storm. Anyone else?
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state
I have not had any issues with mail, I am in Maryland. I have gotten about 30 emails today and had no timeouts. It may just be another in the long string of mail screw ups by Verizon's crappy mail system.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I hear ya, but I just heard from a relative in PA that he, too, is experiencing the problem. I was getting email fine today until just a bit ago, when it totally timed out for all my VZ accounts (my domain emails are fine). The VZ webmail site is down as well (time out or connection reset), though the rest of the VZ site is working!

Not sure how badly Md. got hit? It's not awful here yet, but definitely started getting pretty bad, with the worst of it still to come later this afternoon.
--

flashcore

united state
I just checked the webmail again and it is still working for me as well as POP, hard to say what or where the problem is but it does not seem to be effecting all mail.

As far as Md, right now near Baltimore the wind is really starting to kick up and the rain is alternating between light to heavy but so far I have not had any power or inet issues. They are saying the worst is going to be between 6PM and 2AM so its hard to say what the future will be but my generator is ready to roll if i loose power.

jbee

join:2002-01-03
Merrick, NY
Outgoing mail down here in Nassau county, NY.

Incoming mail spotty.

Internet OK.

Downed wire in street with the remnants of a blown transformer, wire pulled out of house. Power still on though. But not for long.

PO says LIPA not responding for anything until after the storm.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to altermatt
It's down and out. Webmail barely made showed up a while ago. Sending SMTP failed to connect. Sending from my domain-based server went out immediately.

altermatt
Premium
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
birdfeedr, That's my experience exactly, except Webmail on the site is still not loading...earlier the page finally loaded but I couldn't log in, and now the page itself times out.

We just had an outage and I thought "uh, oh, this is it" but everything came back up---for now. The wind is incredible now, so I suspect downed wires any moment.

Stay safe, everyone. See ya on the other side.
--

raf_v

@108.21.98.x
reply to flashcore
No e-mail here either, Brooklyn.

On top of that internet speed has deteriorated. Inconsistent and much slower than usual, ~10Mbits.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to altermatt
Since the email farm is in Texas, it has to be all the east coast folks (i'd say more than half of VZ's subscribers but just guessing) staying home and riding out the storm playing speed test, ping and traceroute. High traffic volume on the interwebs.

Well, that and the email farm needs crutches to hobble along.

flashcore

united state
reply to altermatt
Looks like the outage is spreading, I am now getting login errors on the accounts that were working before.

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to altermatt
I like the Verizon email I like POP
Down in Northeastern MA as well Fortunately I have a hotmail account with which I sent an email with.

Little rhody

@verizon.net
reply to altermatt
My email screen won't open. But I swear I checked it this morning and it worked. ???? Internet is fine though.

flashcore

united state
reply to altermatt
I found something strange with my email, it seems somehow my password was changed. I have no idea by who and Verizon has no clue either. Once I reset my password I found an email saying that my password was reset at 5:30pm yesterday. I would really like to know what the hell is going on with that.

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to altermatt
still having problems here as well.