toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to mromero

to mromero

Re: so memory card slot

said by mromero:

you will never see a nexus phone with micro sd

... and that, unfortunately is a stupid marketing decision that makes Google no better than Apple from this point of view.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I don't see the point in using a memory card with all the crazy amounts of cloud storage that I have access to.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

It would still be nice to have that option...

That said, the phone is inexpensive and high-powered, and is compatible with a network that offers unlimited data. Could be a heck of a lot worse.

Me? I'll stick with my 32GB Galaxy SIII with a 64GB microSDXC card. But that's just me.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

I don't see the point in using a memory card with all the crazy amounts of cloud storage that I have access to.

Gonna suck hard when you have to access those files on a non-LTE and/or 4G connection. Having dial-up access to gigabytes worth of media files is almost useless.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Sync to local machine using Dropbox, Google Drive, or Jungledisk.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
I don't "need" access to those files when I am out of 4g-land

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
Not just that, but what if it is stored videos you want to watch...without unlimited data you are pretty screwed. Ya really need the media on the device.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

Good luck accessing that cloud on a transoceanic flight, or subway tunnels, or on a capped data connection.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

what % of your life do you spend on transoceanic flights? I'm guessing a very small percentage of the market does that. and most subway tunnels where I live have cellular service in them.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

How about syncing...I'd rather not be spending every day picking and choosing which content to sync because some dummy thought it was a good idea to build a 16-32GB device with no expandable storage and no option for a 64-128GB model. It's the same problem that plagues the iPad. SD is one of many features (and I rank the most important feature) that serve to differentiate the platform from other platforms.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I guess I am in the minority here, I only store pictures that I have taken with my camera on my phones storage. I can see why people might think they need 800 hours of music on it or 10 movies, but I really don't see how that is practical.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to skeechan

MVM

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Not just that, but what if it is stored videos you want to watch...without unlimited data you are pretty screwed. Ya really need the media on the device.

Or you plan ahead. Unless you are taking transcontinental flights daily, you should be able to get more than a few TV episodes and/or a good portion of your music collection on there.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to toro

Premium Member

to toro
said by toro:

said by mromero:

you will never see a nexus phone with micro sd

... and that, unfortunately is a stupid marketing decision that makes Google no better than Apple from this point of view.

A removable sd is about as necessary as a floppy drive these days.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
You aren't in the minority. Skeechan is in the minority.

How many people have his fabled '15gb+ 1080p concert files' ? How many times do you need to watch this concert?

He's in the minority. Most people plan ahead. Some don't.
fldiver
Premium Member
join:1999-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

fldiver to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
And that happens to be "your" opinion, but clearly not everyone. Why does everyone find it necessary to put their arse out on the "cloud"? Trust me when you no longer can access "your" data I will still be enjoying my "local cloud" without interruption. This is a "fail" on the part of GOOGLE, but I doubt they are listening

-Dan

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to LightS

Premium Member

to LightS
said by LightS:

You aren't in the minority. Skeechan is in the minority.

How many people have his fabled '15gb+ 1080p concert files' ? How many times do you need to watch this concert?

He's in the minority. Most people plan ahead. Some don't.

Many new apps/games are 2+ GB each. HD movies are over 2GB each. Store some music for playing offline. Store a couple of nandroid backups as well as Titanium backup of apps/settings. My 32GB microSD card is already 98% full. While I have mobile network access available here, when I'm in China the "Google cloud" is blocked (unless I connect with my VPN) or I have to use the relatively expensive mobile network (only get 150MB "free", have to pay huge overage charges) not to mention not having any network on the 16 hour flight there.

The "cloud" isn't yet practical for every day use. Until we have truly ubiquitous mobile data that doesn't cost a fortune, we need a lot of storage. An 8GB phone, even a 16GB model, is simply unusable.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

Okay, first and foremost, I'd love to know which apps and games for either Android/Apple are 2gb+. I've never seen one that's that large in size, please do inform me.

Second, I completely agree with the rest. Personally, I'd prefer the card slots as well. However, I'm not going to make my decision based upon that, whenever I can take a few minutes to sync up my stuff and plan ahead for these fabled transoceanic flights that keep coming up (FYI I don't go on these regularly, haha)