how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Imagyne

join:2000-10-01
Ledyard, CT

Are there any generators out there???

Does anyone know a store in northeastern ct with a portable generator?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Ya needed to look for that last week...

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Imagyne

LOL. Your best bet would be to call stores in Ohio or order ar Harbor Freight.com and have it shipped in. You may get it by Fri that way.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Ohio won't likely help as SW Ohio is expecting 50+ MPH winds and worse than the last hurricane reminents that came thru and left a lot of people without power for days...

And the extras would have been sent to the east coast last week.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Imagyne

Your best bet is to look on home depot's website for stock inventory in stores that are far north like Vermont.

You'll need to drive plenty.

If you skip it this time, remember to keep an eye open on sales for generators and buy it. Otherwise, next time you'll find yourself in the same situation: Scrambling.

It's already pretty long to get a nice setup for a generator. Buying it is the quick part.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Imagyne

The advice to wait is a good one. You may get a still in box return from someone who didn't use it.

We picked up ours between Irene and Lee last year.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

+1

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by CylonRed:

+1

+2 I will never understand people who wait for a storm to look for a generator. Wasn't like this was a surprise.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19

said by PoloDude:

+2 I will never understand people who wait for a storm to look for a generator. Wasn't like this was a surprise.

+1.
You haved to admit, this storm snuck up REALLY fast on the northeast. We only started hearing about it early last week. That's only SEVEN DAYS. How do you expect someone to react that fast???

I hate to sound so cynical, but COME ON! This happens EVERY storm. WHEN will people learn to think ahead???

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

I can't comment - I've been in the new house 2 months, and haven't got the transfer switch connected yet...

Realistically, it's going to be extension cords all over the place if it gets bad in the next day or two... (they're calling for 60-70 mph winds around my neck of the woods, and the soil's all sand here - that means pine trees on the ground...)

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

The advice to wait is a good one. You may get a still in box return from someone who didn't use it.

We picked up ours between Irene and Lee last year.

The way it is blowing up here, I doubt there will be many "in box" returns this time around.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by pende_tim:

The way it is blowing up here, I doubt there will be many "in box" returns this time around.

If anything, those who don't need it will be selling on craigslist at 25%-50% markup

exocet_cm
You see, but you do not observe
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

I can't comment - I've been in the new house 2 months, and haven't got the transfer switch connected yet...

Realistically, it's going to be extension cords all over the place if it gets bad in the next day or two... (they're calling for 60-70 mph winds around my neck of the woods, and the soil's all sand here - that means pine trees on the ground...)

Same here. Had the generator for three months and the switch sits in a box in my office. I put it on my calendar to install this Saturday.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Imagyne

If you do find a store with them in stock, you'll wait longer in line at Lowe's to hand over $799 of your hard earned money than you would for a two minute ride on Superman at Six Flags New England (my former employer).

I went to Lowe's during the October snowstorm when they had a truckload of 800 generators, waited two hours in line, and they had 45 left when it was my turn. I would have been p*ssed off if I would have waited two hours to get to a sold out sign. My power came back on 3 hours later.

And you'll be getting whatever genny that they have. I ended up getting a Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder Series with a cheap plastic fuel tank. I would have rather of had one of the better B&S units with a metal fuel tank or a Generac. One of those Generac units that accepts a 20 lb propane tank would have been nice although they are only 3250 watts.

--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Imagyne

Our local Lowes is completely out of theirs,and I'm sure more will come in eventually. This year has been a crazy year for bad weather/power outages and the number of people buying/stealing generators.
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
reply to IowaCowboy

I have been considering purchasing a portable generator. This tri-fuel generator just became available on the Home Depot website:

»www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdo···ore_info

and is also available here:

»www.powerlandonline.com/

»www.powerlandonline.com/product/···der.html

This generator is designed from the ground up to use Gasoline, Propane or Natural Gas. The above model is 10KW Surge, 8KW continuous. Powerland also offers lower output capacity tri-fuel models. I have found that the replacement cycle for stock generators usually takes about three months. I have observed that after January most companies selling generators offer sales. Once the hurricane season begins in July, the sale's on generators stop.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

LOL. Your best bet would be to call stores in Ohio or order ar Harbor Freight.com and have it shipped in. You may get it by Fri that way.

UPS just emailed me that shipments are being delayed. I wouldn't count on bulk freight arriving quickly.

Your best bet will be smaller places that sell at higher prices, or stores that are several hundred miles inland or in areas that are less affected.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Imagyne

BTW, depending on what you need, if you are desperate, you could maybe go with a marine battery and a large inverter.

That is my first backup at home... it will run lights, chargers for many many hours... my sump pumps hardly run, but I calculated something like an hour of continuous pumping from one the pumps before the battery would conk out.

It can be charged using jumper cables and a vehicle at high idle, or with a charger plugged into a generous neighbor's generator (or at your office/etc--just keep it outside to avoid the gas build up).

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to Imagyne

I have thought about putting a large generator/inverter on my truck but it would have to be at least 30A output for my perimary residence, which is do able, but I'm also toying with the idea of getting a 20K/40K stationary unit to power my 3 adjacent properties.

Decisions, Decisions . . .

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to Imagyne

I have thought about putting a large generator/inverter on my truck but it would have to be at least 30A output for my perimary residence, which is do able, but I'm also toying with the idea of getting a 20K/40K stationary unit to power my 3 adjacent properties.

Decisions, Decisions . . .

--
October is National Popcorn Popping Month

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to Imagyne

»www.mayberrys.com/

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Imagyne

Imagyne hasn't been online in over 6 hours.
I think he lost power before finding a generator

CTMustang
Premium
join:2007-09-10
France
reply to Imagyne

What really annoys me about this kind of mentality is that even though we've lost power 3 or 4 times for more than 5 days, in the past 3 years....my neighbors think that I should share power with them.

The first time when the storm snuck up on us FINE. I didn't have power then either, but then I saw a sale on generators and bought one. It was only 180 bucks for a 7500 watt unit!! Then Irene hits, out again for a week, then snowtober... again... same neighbors wanting a hand out. They did offer to fill with gas, but I'd rather they just pay up and get their own!!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

2 edits

Yeah, I've always thought people like that have some nerve.
Like you said, a one time freak storm when they're desperate and didn't think about a Generator is one thing. But thinking they've got a free ride every time a storm comes now is quite another. Hey, why spend all that money on a generator when you can just buy a tank of gas or two a couple times a year? (If that). Not to mention they don't have to worry about maintenance, storing the thing, fixing it if it breaks down, etc.
The worst part is, if you refuse some time, you make an enemy out of your neighbor. (Not sure if that's really a problem or not).
Damn people! If you want the luxury of a Generator in the future after learning your lesson the first time, buy your own!
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

Not only would they want a free ride, but they don't understand the generator limitations, then go ahead to plug their fridge + TV on it while trying to use their microwave.

There's already a lot of sacrifice to do regarding loads when you run on a generator for 1 house.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

said by alkizmo:

Not only would they want a free ride, but they don't understand the generator limitations, then go ahead to plug their fridge + TV on it while trying to use their microwave.

There's already a lot of sacrifice to do regarding loads when you run on a generator for 1 house.

Sacrifice? NEVER! That's not a word in my vocabulary! Get bigger, bigger bigger!

I should probably whip out my baby and fire her up to make sure everything is hunkie and dorie. It's been awhile.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

2 recommendations

reply to Imagyne

Out of curiosity I was browsing around the NY/NJ craigslist ads. Plenty of people with multiple "New in box" generators for sale, probably for twice what they paid. One guy had 10! so they went around cleaning out inventories to gouge people. It's one thing to do that with a new game console or hot Xmas item, though I still think that's shitty too, but this makes me want to punch them in the head. People are assholes.

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Jon:

Out of curiosity I was browsing around the NY/NJ craigslist ads. Plenty of people with multiple "New in box" generators for sale, probably for twice what they paid. One guy had 10! so they went around cleaning out inventories to gouge people. It's one thing to do that with a new game console or hot Xmas item, though I still think that's shitty too, but this makes me want to punch them in the head. People are assholes.

They should put those stickers on the box that says "This item intended for sale at (Lowe's/Home Depot), if found at other outlets/sources, call (800 number to loss prevention/fraud department).
--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Jon:

They should put those stickers on the box that says "This item intended for sale at (Lowe's/Home Depot), if found at other outlets/sources, call (800 number to loss prevention/fraud department).

Not sure that would do anything. In the middle of a crisis I wouldn't care how hot or cold that generator is.

What they could do is say No Returns on generators or a 15% restocking fee on non defective returns. That way you wouldn't have someone buying 10 for scalping and then returning them if they don't sell. And those that get defective ones (easily checked) would still be able to return them. And scampers would think twice...

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

said by itguy05:

What they could do is say No Returns on generators or a 15% restocking fee on non defective returns.

Careful with those conditions. That restocking fee needs to be unconditional, otherwise every returned generator will be defect!
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!