Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to fifty nine

Re: Are there any generators out there???

said by fifty nine:

Anecdotal evidence suggests that people have been told they can't return them once they've been used, unless defective. I really don't know this for sure though, so I may be wrong.

I think it's unethical to do that too.

I thought they couldn't return unopened boxes.

I can understand stores refusing to accept USED returns after Sandy, the consumers are the ones being unethical if they return the generator they bought after they used it only because the storm is over.

Imagyne

join:2000-10-01
Ledyard, CT
reply to Imagyne

I actually did find one driving home the next day. I will admit that I should have purchased one when I was looking at them the week before. Anyway, I put an interlock in, figured out what should/could run on genny power and it worked out well. Unfortunately, Comcast had other ideas.. so no internet until today. I totally get all the +1's.
Thanks for not bagging on me to hard..
Thanks for all help too!

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Imagyne

Here's a new question.

I have no generator, but want to invest in having one. As I have no emergency in progress nor predicted, my gut says I should be a good citizen and wait a month or two before pursuing the acquisition so that the demand up north might be better met. Opinions?
--
nohup rm -fr /&

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2

That decision has already been made by the retailers... If you want one / can find one, I wouldn't think twice about buying it.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to sempergoofy

From what I have seen after a disaster like Sandy generators wind up sold out immediately and it can take up to 3 Months for the stock to be fully replenished. Pick out a generator that meets your needs and wait until it goes on sale. If you are in an area where the temperature goes below freezing and you anticipate a long term power outage you might want to purchase a generator sooner even at a higher price. If you have a supply of Propane or Natural Gas you might want to purchase a portable generator that runs on either fuel or get a tri-fuel generator that runs on gasoline as well. I plan on purchasing a generator that runs on gasoline or propane before the next hurricane season and since I live in Central Florida I can wait until the price is right. I have found that the following manufactures offer portable propane or multi fuel generators.

Gentron
Powerland
Buffalo Tools
All Power America
Category 5

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

My home has natural gas, and I like the long-term storage option of propane. Tri-fuel seems to be the best option based upon seeing the fuel supply problems in the areas affected by Sandy. I was thinking that I would buy a gasoline powered generator, but also get a conversion kit from »www.uscarb.com
But I will look into the multi-fuel ones manufactured by the list you provided.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Powerland has three models that can be connected to natural gas or propane right out of the box. The low pressure regulator has two ports one for propane and the other for NG. They also can be fueled with gasoline.

»www.powerlandonline.com/category···nerator/

Some of the other manufactures on the list may make dual fuel Propane/NG generators.