spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sparkybp

@rogers.com

[Cable] Incompatible Cable Modem

I've purchased a SMC d3gn from best buy (in Roger's packaging). I then called teksavvy to sign up for my service and gave them the modem/router's information and everything was fine and service had started. Several months later, my modem starts dropping the cable connection at random times and tries to lock onto upstream and downstream channels for probably half hour until it finally finds the connection. It happens about once or twice a day. I've called teksavvy support and they ended up opening a support ticket for me as they couldn't fix it over the phone. After a while they called me back to tell me that they cannot send a tech out to inspect my lines and what not because the modem and its firmware are incompatible and thats whats causing the drops. Why did they allow me to start my service and have it run great for several months and then all of a sudden tell me they won't provide me support until I change my modem. I don't find it fair to allow me to start the service with a modem that they do no support. Now my 30 days to return it is up and I'm left with an intermittent internet connection. Why was it fine for such a long time and now it's "incompatible" all of a sudden. I am going to file a complaint with the CRTC if the issue cannot be resolved here, since i've already tried to call and complain to customer service and they just repeated that I need a new modem like a broken robot, not listening to anything I said about them allowing the current modem in the first place.

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON

I think this is a good example of why many ISPs force customers to rent their equipment or buy the equipment directly from them, or from a vetted reseller.

When I signed up, I chose to buy my modem from TSI - it may have been slightly more expensive, but there's the piece of mind that if anything goes wrong, I'm covered.

I understand your frustration, and I'll bet the incompatibility stems from the recent introduction of upstream channel bonding across the Rogers cable network. It's a bad situation, but you own the modem so it's not TSI's responsibility to eat the cost of a replacement.

Sparkybp

@rogers.com

Why would upstream channel bonding damage my modem and render it to do what its doing ? Why was I not made aware that they would not support my modem since its third party. Why is the downstream channel having trouble locking on as well? I was mislead by misinformed data entry robots who havent a clue what they are doing if its not written down for them already.

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON

Upstream bonding did not damage the modem, it's just that a lot of modems with older firmware (including my very own SB6120 with firmware older than 1.0.6.1) just don't seem to work very well with upstream bonding. That's an indictment of how poorly the modem vendors are implementing and testing functionality that should be standardized and work properly out of the box.

If you don't have upstream lock, your downstream won't work either.

Perhaps TSI should have warned you that using a user-supplied and owned modem that's not on Rogers TPIA/third party internet access or TSI's own approved list is a best effort situation, with no explicit or implied warranty.

Note that the list of approved modems differs between Rogers and TPIA customers. The modem that you bought, had it been on Rogers instead of TSI would probably have qualified for an exchange for a working one. But IMHO, TSI is under no obligation to support your hardware. Sorry.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to sparkybp

Modem is not incompatible and its not damaged either, rogers is likely testing upstream bonding in your area. Once rogers is done testing everything will be back to normal. Also you should post your signals as well.

Sparkybp

@rogers.com

Which exact numbers would you require for signals. And do you want the ones that are available while the internet works or when its trying to lock on with no succsess?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

1 edit

Numbers from when it is trying to lock are pretty useless I think. You need the numbers from after the online light goes solid.

Changing the firmware probably won't make any technical difference to the quality of your connection. It will make it an officially supported modem though, which will solve the bureaucratic issues.
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

Expand your moderator at work

sevimo

join:2010-09-25
reply to highwire2007

Re: [Cable] Incompatible Cable Modem

said by highwire2007:

Upstream bonding did not damage the modem, it's just that a lot of modems with older firmware (including my very own SB6120 with firmware older than 1.0.6.1) just don't seem to work very well with upstream bonding. That's an indictment of how poorly the modem vendors are implementing and testing functionality that should be standardized and work properly out of the box.

I am experiencing something similar to the OP - my connection drops off once in a while, for a few seconds / couple of minutes. When I look at the modem stats (SB6120 with older than 1.0.6.1 firmware) I noticed that sometimes it shows 4 upstream channels, sometimes 2, sometimes 1. Back then, when connection was stable it was always only 1 up / 4 down. Levels look normal.

It is interesting that there are at least a couple of suggested explanation in the thread:
- it is due to older / unsupported firmware in SB6120 (can upgrade)
- it is due to Rogers testing upstream bonding (can't do much, but should end at one point in time)

Can someone confirm if the symptoms can reasonably be explained by the above? I am in High Park, if there is info on Rogers testing.

Would appreciate help, as drops are very annoying for streaming / VoIP.

Thanks!

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to sparkybp

Sorry to hear about this, if you message us in the direct forum with your account info we can look into this.

sparkybp01

@teksavvy.com
reply to Teddy Boom

ID 0 1 2 3
Downstream Frequency 614.998535 MHz 620.999756 MHz 632.997681 MHz 638.999023 MHz
Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked
Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM
Symbol Rate 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec
Downstream Power -2.576499 dBmV -1.917745 dBmV -2.541628 dBmV -3.098556 dBmV
SNR 35.595078 dB 35.595078 dB 35.595078 dB 35.417789 dB
Upstream Channel
ID 0 1 2 3
Upstream Frequency 25296000 Hz 31296000 Hz 22096000 Hz 38596000 Hz
Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked
Modulation 16QAM 16QAM 16QAM 16QAM
Symbol Rate 2560 sym/sec 2560 sym/sec 2560 sym/sec 2560 sym/sec
Upstream Power 49.0000 dBmV 50.0000 dBmV 48.5000 dBmV 50.5000 dBmV
Channel ID 2 1 3 4

Where are you located in case I decide to bring it by for a flash, its really starting to piss me off!

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

said by sparkybp01 :

Where are you located in case I decide to bring it by for a flash, its really starting to piss me off!

You probably missed the part where he stated 'Changing the firmware probably won't make any technical difference to the quality of your connection.'

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to sparkybp01

Click through to my website and then email me.
(electronicsguru.ca -- don't know why my signature is missing..)

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

sparky ... your upstream power is probably marginal at 50dBmV on two of the channels. I don't know if this modem is like some models, but if the spread in the power levels between channels is too high (typically about 1 dB) they'll try a new connection.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by sbrook:

sparky ... your upstream power is probably marginal at 50dBmV on two of the channels. I don't know if this modem is like some models, but if the spread in the power levels between channels is too high (typically about 1 dB) they'll try a new connection.

Ya, I noticed when I first read his post, but then failed to reply to it..... While the spec for upstream power is something like 52dBmV, in practice 50dBmV is marginal and concerning.

However, if the issue is truly signal level, sparky needs a supported modem before anybody will come and fix it.
(Maybe that's why I didn't mention about the signal levels!?!? :P)
--
electronicsguru.ca

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Considering it's a Rogers modem, it's quite the pain that Rogers won't support their own modems when used by a TPIA!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by sbrook:

Considering it's a Rogers modem, it's quite the pain that Rogers won't support their own modems when used by a TPIA!

Which reminds me of something I intended to start a thread on, but posting it here is just as good.

I just "upgraded" an SMCD3GN from Rogers provided 3.1.4.45.2 to the supported 1.4.0.40. The customer called back a couple of days later and said that he now has a stable connection. I didn't think that would be possible, but it appears to be the case...
--
electronicsguru.ca

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Was it the SMC modem that got bent out of shape when the signal levels between downstream bonded channels signal levels differed by more than 1 dB? If that was the case, perhaps the firmware loosened that requirement a bit!?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

Ya, I don't know about that so much, though I do recall it being discussed. What I meant above is that in my experience upstream power levels >=50dBmV are already marginal for upstream bonding..

The strange thing about the firmware change is that I dialed it way back, like 1.4.0.40 must be 2 years older than the 3.1.x.x one, and the 3.1.x.x one is provided by Rogers for use by Rogers customers. I'm pretty surprised that it made any difference at all.
--
electronicsguru.ca