how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

spookypuff66

join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO

Microsoft Computer infection alert

Someone saying they were from Microsoft called me saying I had an infected computer. He had me download software from this site »www.ammyy.com/. The software if followed would have allowed someone to gain access to my computer. I hung up.
I have two computers behind a router and neither are showing any signs of an infection.
Has any one else had a call like this? TIA

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

It's a scam.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to spookypuff66

Obviously a scam, but it interesting to think about why they were wasting their time. Did they tell you this was going to cost something to fix?

spookypuff66

Silverthorne, CO

1 edit

No.
I haven't so far been able to reproduce the window where I was directed to click a square and hand over control of my computer.

izy
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
kudos:2
reply to spookypuff66

»www.microsoft.com/security/onlin···ams.aspx
--
"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them." Einstein

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
reply to spookypuff66

»[Scam] A call from Microsoft

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to spookypuff66

I was reading an article not too long ago suggesting that such tactics were a good sign with respect to Microsoft improving their security.

I got such a call and was amused by the entire thing. So I messed with the guy for a while. Eventually I told the guy that I knew what he was trying to do and that I run only OS X and Linux,....then started to laugh. He just used some obscenity and hung up. It really was funny.

I hope I get another such call,......

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
reply to spookypuff66

I've gotten a few phone calls like these, often they're from a spoofed number such as 206-200-xxxx

spookypuff66

Silverthorne, CO
reply to CCat

This was posted on »blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytipstal···ort.aspx

"I just received this scam call. Guy claimed he was with Microsoft 35 tech support and that my computer has been sending out malicious emails and has a virus.

He wanted me to type www.ammyy.com into my run box-- i refused and told me to email me the information. Of course no email."

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Kramer

Another variation of the scam has the 'employee' locking out the PC and holding it for ransom. Pay us $x dollars or you don't get your PC back. In many cases it is hundreds of dollars to get the PC 'back' - on top of any key logger, malware they might load up...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

jp07764

@optonline.net

1 recommendation

reply to spookypuff66

»www.ammyy.com/en/admin_mu.html

This is on their site about the scam.

Jimmy

sekim
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to spookypuff66

I had that phone call gtom microsoft,, that I was spamming or junk mailing or something. I told him that I didn't have a computer... and maybe it was my expensive refrigerator. It cost so much it maybe it has a computer in it. He was laughing.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to spookypuff66

Second link when googling the ammyy url is

"Have you Fallen for the 'Ammyy' Scam?"

»netsecurity.about.com/b/2011/09/···scam.htm

Seriously, do people not check the internet for obvious scams?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
reply to spookypuff66

Quite a few Youtube videos with users trolling the scammers.

This one seems to cover most of the obvious clues.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFRtPus···=related

--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

praetoralpha

join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to spookypuff66

Ars ran a story on this:

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012···your-pc/

and one of the writers actually got called:

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012···echnica/

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to spookypuff66

Always keep it simple. Microsoft and other reputable software makers will never cold-call a computer user about a purported virus problem or infection. Neither will they send a user a similarly-focused, unsolicited eMail containing clickable links or call-back phone numbers.

When in doubt, separately call the organization back or visit its website using a phone number or URL that has been independently obtained via known-legitimate printed materials from the organization and verify that the issue really exists.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to spookypuff66

Microsoft? Man even if the legitimate real deal MS called you they probably wouldn't talk to you until you paid as 25 dollar service fee. So the fact they were willing to talk to you without first charging you proves it was a scam.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to spookypuff66

Like two years ago I got tasked with cleaning up a Virut infection on a client's network. Luckily it was only like 20 computers, but on the day after the big cleanup, this client got a call from "Microsoft" saying that they were infected with the evil Event Viewer virus.

Unbelievable.