share rss forum feed

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6

1 recommendation

[App Update] MJ Registry Watcher..1.2.7.8..Oct.28/12

MJ Registry Watcher is a simple registry, file and directory hooker/poller, that safeguards the most important startup files, registry keys and values, and other more exotic registry locations commonly attacked by trojans. It has very low resource usage, and is set to poll every 30 seconds by default, although you can adjust this to anywhere between 0 and 9999. A configuration file stores all your settings for future use. MJRW not only polls the system, but it also hooks it, so that most changes to keys, files and directories are reported instantaneously. Key deletions are still
caught by the polling loop though, since they cannot be hooked. Exactly which keys and files are protected can be completely configured by the user, although the sets I supply with MJRW will cover most standard PCs.

Change log...

More choice on keys or values you can exempt when there is an
alert.
2) Right-Click Options button to go to the first key (usually the run keys).
3) Added some Windows 8 keys and a terminal server autostart key to all key sets.

»www.jacobsm.com/mjsoft.htm#rgwtchr

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

thanks art22gg.. looking at the "jacobsm.com" website, it seems that the program is free.. i think that, in the past, you had to pay a nominal fee for it, like $5.00 or something..

i just checked.. i don't have the amount recorded, but i have a receipt, and a license-key-file for the program.. but, again, it seems that a license is no longer required for using the program, at least that is the impression that i get, from the "jacobsm.com" website..

i have never really used the program, not on a regular basis, but i downloaded the program, just now, and i might try it out again, to see what it is like.. i might learn some things by seeing which regkeys are monitored by the program..

in the past, i used diamondcs's "regprot".. then i switched to ghost security's "regdefend", which i am still using..

i also use "system safety monitor" which has a registry-protection module, but it is kind of funky so i don't use it, using "regdefend" instead..

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
reply to art22gg

thanks arty!!

Jrb2
Premium
join:2001-08-31
kudos:3
reply to redwolfe_98

Hi redwolfe,

If you have a question about the program, the author is posting at Wilders. See the recent thread about the update:
»www.wilderssecurity.com/showthre···t=334938

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to art22gg

I have used Registry Watcher for several years. It's a polling app so it scans the desired registry and file locations as often as you set it for. Polling apps has definite limits but as they go, I think this is a good one. I have found it to be quite reliable and Mr Jacobs has continued to develop it for several years.

It's not absolute protection (nothing is) from any malware but it is a very useful tool. It's settings are highly flexible and it can be set to just alert (my desired setting) or actually stop and give the user a chance to intervene on a system change. One nice thing about it is you can monitor both specified registry and file/folder changes (which is quite handy IMO.)

As for pricing, it has been all over the place. Free, donate, shareware and now back to free/donate. I felt strong enough about it to donate a couple of times.

Currently, I use it in combination with WinPatrol for system change notices. On some things, they both notify me about changes. Other times, it's one or the other. In my experience, a good combination.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to art22gg

»www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

I've used this one for years.

Is RW a standalone?
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

Yes, there is no installation per se (it's not portable though in that it does store a few items in the registry), you just unzip the download into a folder and launch it from there. I would recommend that you place it in a folder outside of Windows Program Files. That will allow it to read and write freely to the folder it's running from.

Once it's running, within the program you choose the filter level, polling times, autorun from boot parameters, etc. (The autorun setup for Vista, 7 and 8 requires a scheduled task to give it admin privileges. See website for details.)

I used to run Startup Monitor too but found it too limited in what all it looked at. I always understood it was also a poller but since it only looked at a very limited list, it could poll very fast. Thus changes would bring up an alert very, very quickly. Registry Watcher finds those changes and many more but sometimes can be a few seconds before you get the notice.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to art22gg

It is a standalone ,even works on my W2K drive.
--

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to HA Nut

Click for full size
Just added a shortcut in the Startup folder to see what would happen and it was instantaneous,an alert.............cool,definitely a keeper.

thx Art
--