MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Atacand

MVM

to Atacand

Re: [Caps] Comcast Business vs Residential and data usage

said by Atacand :

Do you think the Premium tier (27/7) is sufficient to stream a HD movie on say an Apple TV or Hi-Def TV while another user streams CD-quality music and browses the internet at high speed?

Yes, even 720p higher end video streaming is more like 6 Mbps and Netflix uses nowhere near that:

Netflix streams HD content using Microsoft VC1AP encoding at a maximum bitrate of between 2600 kbit/s and 3800 kbit/s (depending on the movie).

3800 kbit/s (or ~4 Mbps, rounding up) is less than 1/6th of your bandwidth. So if the route and connection is clean, you could theoretically stream probably 4-5 simultaneously, and CD streaming is much, much less. So 1 HD video stream + CD streaming should be no problem.

Also, does business class traffic get some type of priority above that of residential traffic? I realize I'm connected to the same node as the residential folks (they used the existing residential drop), but my ping times are more stable, and even though there is powerboos that I was unaware of, the speeds aren't all over the place -- they seem more stable.

Nope, same lines and same priority.

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand

Anon

Do you think 1TB of usage is excessive for the 27/7 plan?
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925

I am on Comcast business class and done 2tb this month so far no call I am pretty sure on business class you would not get a call there is no cap for business class I hope that answers your question

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

I wouldn't personally feel comfortable doing 2TB month after month on a 27/7 plan, but then again I rarely exceed 200G/mo.

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand to greg925

Anon

to greg925
There is a 'soft cap' from what I have heard from others in here.

I *do* use P2P (that's my business) over OpenVPN, but with that I don't think they can see the type/protocol I am using.
Atacand

Atacand to greg925

Anon

to greg925
Greg,

What business class internet plan are you on?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Atacand

Premium Member

to Atacand
said by Atacand :

I *do* use P2P (that's my business) over OpenVPN, but with that I don't think they can see the type/protocol I am using.

That depends on whom you consider to be "they". If "they" are Comcast, then as long as "they" don't get calls/letters from third parties complaining about your activity, "they" could care less what protocols you use, or the content of any file transfers that you do.
greg925
join:2010-12-23

greg925 to Atacand

to Atacand
I am on 27/7
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Atacand

to Atacand
said by Atacand :

wait..P2P is your business? or you were just saying that like it's none of my business and dont be snoopy??

Atacand
@leaseweb.com

Atacand to greg925

Anon

to greg925
Greg,

Do you find that this speed suits your needs? It's the same one I have.

I'd love to upgrade to the 50/10, but it just costs too much.
Atacand

Atacand to medbuyer

Anon

to medbuyer
Ah, the wonder of semantics.

Now that you mention it, I suppose P2P and streaming in my house are my "business" and no, I wasn't be rude to tell you to mind your own.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Atacand

Premium Member

to Atacand
said by Atacand :

Do you think 1TB of usage is excessive for the 27/7 plan?

27mbit down (closer to 30Mbit provisioned) is 8.34TB/month full out. 1-2TB is 12-25% of total. I would think you'd be ok. Worse case, you'd need to bump up to the next tier.