uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Water by circuit breaker

I really hate being a home owner. Fucking hate it! It's been raining past few days, now it's time for a hurricaine. I see a small puddle of water below my circuit breaker box in my basement. I see a couple drips from the box itself. Small drips.

Looks like the water is coming in from where the meter is outside (and the line that goes from the meter to the circuit breaker box in my basement) is where the water must be coming from.

YES, I know it's dangerous. As long as I stay out of the basement for the next two days, will I be ok, or is there any electric shock risk if I use the bathtub on the 2nd floor or do other things?

I called power company, they said they couldn't do anything anyway but shut my power off if I wanted them to. Should I call a plumber or electrician?

Would homeowners insurance cover this? I have a $500 deductible but I already know I'm going to get bent over.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
What kind of cable is coming into the house? Is it conduit or SEU (oval gray cable)?

SUE is notorious for cracking and leading water into panels. Also, if the hole isn't properly sealed, water will follow the outside of the cable into the house.

Typically insurance would not cover something like this. The panel will need further examination before passing judgement.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:5
reply to fartness
Did you take any Pics?

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to nunya
SEU. It is exposed from the bottom of the meter into the ground. I was going to post a pic since I always see it when I cut the grass and I don't know if it should be exposed like that.

I have 5 sandbags I use for my pickup truck in the winter. I'll cover the ground with them, as long as it's ok for the sand bag to touch the SEU cable. Is it ok?

Any estimates on a cost to fix this?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by fartness:

SEU. It is exposed from the bottom of the meter into the ground.

You have exposed SEU Cable going from the bottom of the meter into the ground?

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to fartness
Some places don't allow SEU anymore. It really shouldn't be in the dirt either. If the panel isn't damaged, it's probably not that expensive to replace the cable.

Personally, I'd use conduit.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
Click for full size
Looks like it's in some sort of conduit, but the conduit stops short of the ground, and you can see the cable exposed a little bit. See pic. That weed or clover or whatever it is blocks it a little, but you can still see it going into the ground.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
That's your ground wire.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
I don't know what that is. But directly above that pole (not pictured) is the meter.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
Post a pic of the meter.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
Click for full size
Storm is picking up, I'll go outside tomorrow. I fixed it for you for now.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
I know where meter is. That's not the point. Post a pic of it when you can.

In the mean time, post a pic of the leak in your basement

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
Click for full size
Click for full size
Didn't finish painting in that corner. You can see the drips of water on the bottom of the breaker box.

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
reply to fartness
Yikes. That is a fugly panel.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to fartness
Call a sparky, he can check the weatherhead (if any) and check the condition of the cable. If you're lucky, he might only have to restore the duct seal where the cable enters the top of the meter pan.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to fartness
While you are waiting for the electrician to show up, you might want to park a dehumidifier (if you have one) in front of that panel. The leak probably isn't entirely new and damp panels will have problems. I had wet basement problems and had to replace a panel shortly after buying this place. The interim solution was to replace the panel, leave the covers off all thee panels and run a dehumidifier 7x24.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
reply to fartness
Is your utility feed via a mast from the pole, or does your home have an underground service? Water may flow down the mast if the flashing is damaged. Or the top of the meter may need some caulking.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to fartness
I have a feeling that the line between the meter and the panel is directly through the wall, and not through that conduit going into the ground.

Does the elevation match? Or is the panel below ground level?

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
reply to fartness
You need a service change or upgrade. If you own there is no reason not to upgrade to 200A at this time.

Cost: $1200-$3500 depending on location and conditions.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
I already have a de-humidifier down there, and have had it there for the past ~2.5 years that I've lived here.