All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to trparky

Anon

to trparky

Re: [WIN8] Do this to enable Safe Mode, or you will be sorry...

May need to enable USB Legacy Keyboard support in BIOS.

Going to safe mode by shift F8 works just fine here.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by RazzyW8 :

Going to safe mode by shift F8 works just fine here.

"Shift" F8 ? How does that work ? I always keep tapping the F8 key during boot to get safe mode option. How does "shift" fit in ?
(I'm always looking for new tricks)

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

See »Re: [WIN8] Do this to enable Safe Mode, or you will be sorry...
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

I did read that thread, but had missed this part which is a new feature introduced in Wai8 ;
quote:
The trick is to hold the Shift button and mash the F8 key, this will sometimes boot you into the new advanced “recovery mode”, where you can choose to see advanced repair options.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

It's that "sometimes" part that gets me. What do you mean by "sometimes"? Does that mean that when I really need it I won't be able to get access to it? Oh yeah... that's great.

At least with the boot modifications that I posted about, you can get access to Safe Mode 100% without that "sometimes" promise.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

That doesn't happen in my experience to most people. It happens to those that aren't very competent.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

That doesn't happen in my experience to most people. It happens to those that aren't very competent.

1. We all are glad to hear, that it doesn't happen to you... But it's not about you. OP is offering a good suggestion to those who need it. Please tell thank you to him...
2. Your personal "experience to most people"? What does that even mean? Do you know the "most people"? Do you work for a census bureau? Or in marketing department? (that may explain those posts too)
3. Latest Windows are moving into direction to serve less and less competent users (sacrificing the needs of most competent and experienced ones in the process). Now, keeping that in mind, why do you see something like this happens "to those that aren't very competent"?
4. And finally, why did they make this strange change - from 'F8' (that everyone used to use with generations of Windows) to "Shft+F8"? To collect revenue from selling new support services? To keep "innovations" going (no matter in what direction)? For marketing reasons? Something else may be?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Are you missing a hand that you can't use it to press the shift key down? And yes, in all the people that I've had to help over the years, I've never seen people have problems getting into safe mode with F8.

Please tell him thank you?? Give me a break. And before you start questioning the meaning of what I'm saying, check your own writing. You should thank me for pointing that out to you.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

4. And finally, why did they make this strange change - from 'F8' (that everyone used to use with generations of Windows) to "Shft+F8"?

Supposedly because the window for entering F8 has got smaller and smaller over the years (it's tricky to hit it on some of my Windows 7 machines, there's very little time after the primary boot and before the OS starts initializing).

So apparently the thing to do is to tell the firmware to tell the OS you want safe mode. (Not available to the oh-noes-UEFI-is-evil crowd).

»www.techspot.com/news/48 ··· ned.html

I don't understand why they can have Shift-F8 do just what F8 would have done. Might be phased-withdrawal, I suppose: get users used to the new way, while retaining a (slightly modified) version of the previous way Just In Case. Programmers are conservative.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

My motherboard has UEFI on it since it's a recent Intel-based chipset board but I've not seen anything in the UEFI interface to tell Windows to boot to Safe Mode.

I have however made that Recovery Disk on a USB Flash Drive.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

4 edits

SipSizzurp to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

»www.techspot.com/news/48 ··· ned.html

I don't understand why they can have Shift-F8 do just what F8 would have done.

From the link ;
quote:
One such method is done by booting into Windows 8 and holding shift while clicking restart....load up into Windows 8 first, tell Windows you want to reboot into the advanced boot options menu and restart the computer....Personally, I find not being able to invoke the menu with a key during boot cumbersome.
From the other thread ;
said by trparky:

I've mashed Shift-F8 until my keyboard damn near broke, nothing.

said by JohnInSJ:

...weird, works for me.

@ trparky Recap - So, it was not a keyboard timing error, but the fact that you were trying to use Shift+F8 at boot time instead of holding the shift key during a re-start command ?

Edit - Thanks for the above modification too, btw.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Ok, shift-F8 is great and all but what if your machine is already broken and you can't get into Windows and Windows doesn't detect that anything is wrong. Then what?
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by trparky:

Then what?

We get to suck it up until 3rd party programmers start releasing W8 tool boxes.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Something like a Classic Shell or Start8, but this time for the boot?
Sorry, but W8 is looking more and more as it's not ready for prime time...
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

My phone is going to ring any day now with a customer of mine asking;

" I just got a new computer at Wal-Mart, and when I turn it on it comes up with a real weird looking screen. What do I do ? "

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by SipSizzurp:

My phone is going to ring any day now with a customer of mine asking;

" I just got a new computer at Wal-Mart, and when I turn it on it comes up with a real weird looking screen. What do I do ? "

'Touch the square that says "Desktop"' - sheesh people, windows 8 users aren't completely brain dead you know. They can adapt to what is, in the end, a fairly minor change.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

It's a shame MS didn't have you on their team.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

mozerd to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

'Touch the square that says "Desktop"' - sheesh people, windows 8 users aren't completely brain dead you know. They can adapt to what is, in the end, a fairly minor change.

Windows 8 is NOT Windows 7 nor is it Windows Vista nor is it any form of Windows most people have grown accustomed too.

SipSizzurp See Profile needs to LEARN Windows 8 if SipSizzurp See Profile plans on helping people who get Windows 8.

Windows 8 is a significant PARADIGM shift ... get with it or keep drowning yourself in the misery of OLD technology!

There is no question that its going to take time to ADAPT to the new world ..... that new world is so much better.

But then, OLD GEEZERS seldom if ever like PARADIGM shifts. I went through it with IBM, DEC VMS, Unix [up-teen flavors], Atari, Commodore, Apple II, Apple III, Apple Liza, etc. etc. etc.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
Windows 8 Start window
Click for full size
Windows 8 Search
Click for full size
Windows 8 Search
I've really come to like Windows 8...

I have even gone and removed my trial version of Start8 because I really don't need to have the old Start orb in the lower left of the traditional desktop. I had installed it because my wife uses this laptop (non-touch screen HP G60) when we travel and I figured she would freak out with the new tiles. Not to worry though...

I have the new Start window modified so the only new metro type apps I use are the Facebook, photos, weather and news tiles. All the other tiles (including the Desktop tile) go straight to programs that open on the desktop, ie. Outlook, IE, Quicken, etc...etc. Once I/she is on the desktop the same old icons are available and I/she never see the new Start window again. See the screen shot.

I simply bring up the charms, at the right, and use search in order to find a program that I don't have an icon on the desktop for. See the other screen shots...

I have the laptop configured to power down when I/she presses the power button or closes the lid. If I do need to restart the again I simply bring up the charms, select Settings > Power > Restart. Again pretty easy IMHO...

Other than an issue that I solved by disabling the new Fast Start function that seemed to be causing issues with my video drivers all is working well. The machine is certainly faster, IMHO, than before.

I also created an emergency boot flash drive to get into Win 8 recover/repair options if need be. Changed the boot order in BIOS, tested to make sure it works and I am confident I can get into the machine if need be.

I am going to start getting File History working now with an external USB hard drive for file backups.

By the way...I am an OOF (Official Old Fart) retired guy so I guess some of us ol' geezers can adapt...

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to 67845017

Anon

to 67845017
They wouldn't even hire him.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

Bugs? Lack of support? This is the definition of "prime time" and Windows 8 nailed the launch. Opinions of whom will decide to spend money on the OS is not "prime time" and is healthy, old school consumerism.

4 Million upgrades in the first 3 days for Windows 8, that is faster adoption than Windows 7.

You have an opinion that you do not like Windows 8, I share your opinion. Do we really have to relive the Vista ignorance days and try to find something, anything to hook onto as a "reason" to justify why we just simply can't "like" the damn thing???
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

SipSizzurp See Profile needs to LEARN Windows 8 if SipSizzurp See Profile plans on helping people who get Windows 8.

Thanks for the critique, you are correct. I am just now getting around to migrating business customers to W7 from XP, but am learning what I can about W8 as time permits. IT support is a very busy industry with precious little spare time to divide between legitimate work and frivolous flops. Time will tell if W8 is a frivolous flop or a break trough revolution, and I will to react accordingly. With all due respect, I would propose that the jury is still out on W8.

Notice what I posted about Windows Vista as an ANON user 5 years ago...
»[Vista] Did you make the switch?
quote:
What in the heller you talking about ? Who needs a graphical user interface wasting all that CPU power and getting in the way of my batch files and BASIC written software ? I remember the frustration of having to deal with all that fancy hand holding eye candy they called "Windows". DOS 6.22 is all the OS anybody needs to get the office work done ! Stereo speakers just to listen to system beeps ? Good God, what will they be doing next ?

It was halfway through 1998 until I finally figured out that Windows was here to stay, and no amount of belly aching was ever going to bring DOS back ! It's 2007 people. Either exert a little effort to keep up, or you can just obsolete yourself right where you stand. Technology will move forward even if you choose to freeze your own development by standing there wringing your hands with tears running down yer face.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to RazzyW8

to RazzyW8
The more I read from him, the more I agree with you.