Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kickass69

Re: Hurricane Sandy-Frankenstorm Outages/Issues/Updates

said by kickass69:

Here is the official topic for all to post outages/issues/updates from users and techs alike.

Lost at 6pm, required 2 reboots to reacquire..
there was a power spike at around 5pm as others noted, so it's probably a preemtive re-boot of the cmts/nodes... (guess)

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Power went out at 6:06, came back at 6:08. No interruption to Internet connectivity (we have UPSes), but Cablevision's email server had been dead ever since.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Semi lost power but UPS still kicking and keeping the modem and router going. Didn't loose internet yet, dunno about TV as that's plugged in a different socket (no UPS). :P

Gonna try getting an extension cord to get power from the working outlets to charge this sucker to keep on going!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

If you have some working outlets and some not working, you have a localized problem with half of your 220. Make sure you don't run any 220 appliances (like a dryer). I would also suggest turning off your electric water heater, if you have one.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

1 edit
reply to Bob4

Lights flickering occasionally, but CV's service is working fine. My daughter's Minecraft session has been uninterrupted.

Oops. Lights just went out. Every 30 minutes like clockwork.

EDIT: And it's back.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to Bob4

Ahh makes sense as the living room as the 220v socket for the AC unit - guess the bedroom is on the same circuit or something.

Think I read something where 220 is always the first to go during a storm right? The power companies cut that first?

Says about 400,000 people without power in CT now!! Guess i'm still lucky

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Bob4

Email is back.

EDIT: Maybe.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to SHoTTa35

Generally you have 220 service which is split into two 110 circuits.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Well all power is gone now in CT but CV still up and running (UPS still kicking ) So guess CV has backup around here as it's 100% dark as far as my eyes can see!

Hehe, love seeing my WIFI network as the ONLY one around also :P

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

said by SHoTTa35 :

Hehe, love seeing my WIFI network as the ONLY one around also :P

Same here. But my UPS only lasts about 70 minutes. CV's batteries might only last for 45 or so.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Got about ~3hrs so far form her as that 220v thing went out at 5:38pm EST and it shows 10mins left so yeah. Guess she finally got put to use after being bought in early 2011. Didn't have power issues during Irene last year so never tested it till now. Works good IMO

I'll be on my phone in a bit I guess then.

Oddly enough I can't log into my modem no more either. It just gives me blank page (404) when I try the IP. It pings, just the HTTP page is gone even though i'm obviously still connected to the net. It worked right before the power went out fully though

Expand your moderator at work