how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

landons

join:2005-11-28
Trail, BC
reply to dualsport

Re: [BC] Something fishy going on in Nelson with shaw speeds!

I'm physically located in Trail, BC and I also pay for 20Mbps but only get that kind of speed during the day. After around 5PM it drops down to about 2Mbps with 5%-10% packet loss and the latency doubles and almost triples depending on the geographic location on the other end.

The only time I play multiplayer games is in the evening and I cannot because of the latency. I can't even look at youtube videos without the video pausing and then seeing the dreaded loading icon throughout the video regardless of what resolution I choose (480p - 1080p). I'm getting seriously miffed since I first reported this to Shaw in February and nothing has been done so far except I received a credit for the difference between the lower plan and the extreme plan I'm paying for.

My Public Test History Page:
»/testhistory/1295192/bc76e

Incidentally I've been noticing a lot of trucks around town lately installing fiber optic cable. No idea if this is related but I've seen Shaw *and* Telus trucks at various manholes as well. Wondering if they are going to beef up the area's Internet connectivity and finally resolve this crap.

dualsport

@shawcable.net
Lucky you to see 20Mbps during the day, I never saw it. But now I am getting quadruple my speeds up to 11 thru even 16Mbps download on speedtest.net.
Coincidence? I posted on »community.shaw.ca/thread/1853
which is shaws support forum. Received a call sunday afternoon from a shaw employee who told me they were cancelling my housecall, they had discovered a local problem and would be in touch I should see improvements. Today I am finding speeds on speedtest I have never achieved before, up to 16Mbps down, when I was getting a quarter or less all the time anytime of the day before. What did they find? I have been reading a lot, I think they have a piece of equipment in my neighborhood they changed to give me a little more of the pipe, they are underequipped her in Nelson is my quess, and most people don't know it, and can't complain they just pay for 10 or 20 and only get 4 or less like I was because they don't know. draw your own conclusions, I think they are playing with us, yes they are also laying new cables here in Nelson along with Telus, if you look at Telus and Shaw NetIndex speeds they are both avg below 5Mbps in Nelson, although we all are expecting 10 or 20 but nobody knows any better, so they get away with it.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to landons
YouTube is having seperate issues with Shaw lately, so it may be a very different issue.

@dualsport As you suggested, I looked at my city speeds, shows 11.65 mbps for Shaw, my connection I just tested at 88 mbps.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

landons

join:2005-11-28
Trail, BC
The problems with Youtube could be the fact that Shaw doesn't seem to know how peering works and the paths are ridiculously long (17+ hops to most major web presences and services).

I don't know what they are doing for peering if much at all but the latency changes plus packet loss plus slow transit speeds in the evenings point to peak usage issues they are not resolving.

That's mostly what pisses me off - they know about them but aren't fixing them. I could deal with slow transfer speeds in the evenings if the latency didn't shoot up and there was no packet loss. The jitter is ridiculous too which causes havoc on any gaming I might try to do.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Google provides cache servers for most medium sized and bigger ISPs so peering doesn't matter.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.