share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Autoreclosers on power lines

I've got a question are these totally mechanical? They say when they exhaust the amount of tries.. So say if a tree limb causes a SC and it happened (lets speed it up) 4 times in 5 min after the 4th time it's locked out and will need a lineman to come to inspect it?

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Some are mechanical but the newer ones are electronic (except the actual contactor/relay). They can even be controlled remotely by SCADA.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru

It depends on how many retries the utility has it programmed for. Usually when a fault is detected the breaker opens then makes a set number of attempts to "clear" the line fault. If it's successful, power is restored, and if not and it exhausts it's pre-programmed attempts, then it usually has to be manually reset by a line technician after the fault is cleared.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Subaru

Don't assume it's locked out and safe to approach the wire.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Bob4:

Don't assume it's locked out and safe to approach the wire.

Why would I want to climb a pole?

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Subaru

I think it depends. At our old house it would be off, on, off, on, off for good. At this new place it seems to be off, on, off, on, off, on. With Sandy it's annoying. I'd rather have the power out than go through all the off, on junk.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to Subaru

it does not have to be on the pole, it could be on the ground. or it could be a tree laying against the line and when you touch the tree you get zapped.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

I did not say I was touching I was asking a question

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

I've got a question are these totally mechanical?

More accurately, "electromechanical".
said by Subaru:

They say when they exhaust the amount of tries.. So say if a tree limb causes a SC and it happened (lets speed it up) 4 times in 5 min after the 4th time it's locked out and will need a lineman to come to inspect it?

This is a most basic theory of operation, but yes it's correct. It really depends on the specific device and how the particular utility's SOPs dictate it be configured. Without going in to too much detail, the only caveat I would add is that the faults must occur within a very short span, typically in the order of 30 secs to 2 minutes.

So for example, lets say an overcurrent event takes place and the recloser cycles two times. There are now two "attemps" logged. After 30 seconds elapses with no more overcurrent events, the counter resets and those two "attempts" drop off without any human intervention.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Got a lot of storm pictures but to make it easy to understand the recloser is upside down just like the transformer.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by Subaru:

the recloser is upside down just like the transformer.

That was quite a storm indeed.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Yeah crazy.. going to send some to the tv stations

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Click for full size
Click for full size
Picture of it

eagleknight

join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH

As Jamie from Mythbusters would say... "There's your problem!"

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

haha

BK

join:2001-09-10
Chicago, IL

if only that were a recloser

thats a capacitor bank, probably used for VOLT/VAR optimization or something similar

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

well I was wrong haha

BK

Chicago, IL
reply to Subaru

capacitor bank:

typical recloser (there are lots of different brands/models, in no particular order):

--

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to Subaru

That cap bank is having a bad day.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to BK

Now I'm going to be looking for them

Just walking a few blocks over I saw at least 3 trees that shorted out to the wires crazy stuff!

BK

Chicago, IL

they are more and more common with "smart grid" projects and such.

Take more pictures!! I like this kind of pr0n
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Hahausuck

Click for full size
Click for full size
I wonder with the amount of damage how long the power will be out for? multiple lines are out I'm guessing 3-4 days?

Just wondering since no one is really saying.. I know it's only one set of pictures but here are some more.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to BK

I will! I will get some more pictures I was waiting for them to clear the tree but I got a few in the park where cars could not go

BK

Chicago, IL
reply to Subaru

the downtime is really impossible to say, but from the looks of the couple pictures you posted.. not quickly.

and will also depend on how the responses get triaged. hospitals and other high reliability areas first of course
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

The power is back on now!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

2 recommendations

reply to Subaru

All those ass hats in the NE who were bitching about the power companies cutting down their precious trees will be the first ones screaming about how long it takes to get the power restored.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

That's the truth!

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to nunya

After a major storm here(St. Louis), a major radio personality(JC, a network personality for a while) was bitching how long it was taking to restore power to HIS house. He made the mistake of openly threatening the workers when they did come. Needless to say they left and called the cops. They refused to work if he was anywhere around. Long story short he lost a very high paying gig and hasn't been seen here since .....

Even though repair crews are payed big bucks, they take many risks too. Just hope none of the repairmen have to pay the ultimate sacrifice.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to nunya

I welcomed the tree trimming. Last year with the hurricane and snow storm we were out at least 5 days each time. We didn't lose power this time around and out town has one of the lowest outage numbers. Trim away!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Are the NY airports still closed? Just my luck my job is going to say it's back to work for us.. I would be shocked if they said no work for tomorrow.