Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BK

join:2001-09-10
Chicago, IL
reply to Subaru

Re: Autoreclosers on power lines

they are more and more common with "smart grid" projects and such.

Take more pictures!! I like this kind of pr0n
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Hahausuck

Click for full size
Click for full size
I wonder with the amount of damage how long the power will be out for? multiple lines are out I'm guessing 3-4 days?

Just wondering since no one is really saying.. I know it's only one set of pictures but here are some more.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to BK

I will! I will get some more pictures I was waiting for them to clear the tree but I got a few in the park where cars could not go

BK

Chicago, IL
reply to Subaru

the downtime is really impossible to say, but from the looks of the couple pictures you posted.. not quickly.

and will also depend on how the responses get triaged. hospitals and other high reliability areas first of course
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

The power is back on now!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

2 recommendations

reply to Subaru

All those ass hats in the NE who were bitching about the power companies cutting down their precious trees will be the first ones screaming about how long it takes to get the power restored.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

That's the truth!

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to nunya

After a major storm here(St. Louis), a major radio personality(JC, a network personality for a while) was bitching how long it was taking to restore power to HIS house. He made the mistake of openly threatening the workers when they did come. Needless to say they left and called the cops. They refused to work if he was anywhere around. Long story short he lost a very high paying gig and hasn't been seen here since .....

Even though repair crews are payed big bucks, they take many risks too. Just hope none of the repairmen have to pay the ultimate sacrifice.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to nunya

I welcomed the tree trimming. Last year with the hurricane and snow storm we were out at least 5 days each time. We didn't lose power this time around and out town has one of the lowest outage numbers. Trim away!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Are the NY airports still closed? Just my luck my job is going to say it's back to work for us.. I would be shocked if they said no work for tomorrow.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

I believe JFK is opening tomorrow.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to kherr

I remember that Ameren story. Not too bright.
I've actually worked for him on a couple of occasions over the years. Believe it or not, he was always nice. Nothing at all like his "on air" personality. His ex-wife, on the other hand, was the personification of his "on air" personality. Not a nice lady.
Not that I agree with his political leanings or opinions. That kind of turned me off. I hadn't really listened to him since KSHE (how long ago was that?!?!). I hear enough liberal spew just turning on the TV any given day.

Anyway, I hear he has a gig with WGN in Chicago now.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

All those ass hats in the NE who were bitching about the power companies cutting down their precious trees will be the first ones screaming about how long it takes to get the power restored.

Same problem here in Oregon...

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

All those ass hats in the NE who were bitching about the power companies cutting down their precious trees

We went through that here in NH. After a couple of serious ice storms the state gave the utilities more leeway in tree trimming.

My only complaint is Asplundh's is pretty unartistic, just cutting back branches to clear the lines. Looking down the road it looks like a gigantic creature chewed trough the trees so now they is a "C" shaped section missing around the wires. I would prefer more aggressive trimming to provide clearance but without just hacking a clear space.

We are about 600 feet off the road so I try to keep the trees pruned back along our driveway. At least along our driveway the trees still have pretty normal shape.

/tom

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Well no work for me tomorrow I went by the job and they have no power.

Expand your moderator at work

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to itguy05

Re: Autoreclosers on power lines

said by itguy05:

I think it depends. At our old house it would be off, on, off, on, off for good. At this new place it seems to be off, on, off, on, off, on. With Sandy it's annoying. I'd rather have the power out than go through all the off, on junk.

Haha, this reminds me of a episode of Star Trek - The Next Generation where the ship gets a computer virus.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I'm pretty sure I saw one on the drive home I'd have to walk more power line pictures soon!

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

I think it depends. At our old house it would be off, on, off, on, off for good. At this new place it seems to be off, on, off, on, off, on. With Sandy it's annoying. I'd rather have the power out than go through all the off, on junk.

you have a main breaker don't you? j/k

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

The power is back on now!

They got that upside-down pole fixed in an hour?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Nope as far as I know that whole street is still closed down. Some stuff they turned off manual last night across from the substation the power was out at night but on during the day.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Bad picture but I stopped on a road to get this picture

I wonder how they decide where to place them?

BK

Chicago, IL

»www.gedigitalenergy.com/multilin···ndex.htm

an art and a science

it depends on the distribution design, the utility, and even the engineer working on the system. it is a very complex system because all of the equipment in play.
--

justtehfacts

@sbc.com
reply to tschmidt

said by tschmidt:

said by nunya:

All those ass hats in the NE who were bitching about the power companies cutting down their precious trees

We went through that here in NH. After a couple of serious ice storms the state gave the utilities more leeway in tree trimming.

My only complaint is Asplundh's is pretty unartistic, just cutting back branches to clear the lines. Looking down the road it looks like a gigantic creature chewed trough the trees so now they is a "C" shaped section missing around the wires. I would prefer more aggressive trimming to provide clearance but without just hacking a clear space.

We are about 600 feet off the road so I try to keep the trees pruned back along our driveway. At least along our driveway the trees still have pretty normal shape.

/tom

Asplundh is not an arborist... they are just limb janitors.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by justtehfacts :

Asplundh is not an arborist... they are just limb janitors.

Had not though of that. I assumed (know what they say about assume) that Asplundh was a general purpose arborist that the utilities used to prune trees. I took a second look at their web site. and you are correct: "Since 1928 the Asplundh Tree Expert Co. has been dedicated to safe, efficient and innovative line clearance services to the utility industry." I though a "tree expert" was the same as an "Arborist", my bad.

I'll have to remember the term "Limb Janitors."

/tom

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to BK

I two within 1,000 Ft from each other hah can't miss them that's for sure

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to tschmidt

Call them what you want as long as they keep the trees off the lines they are A-1 in my book. I want power on not pretty views.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by Jack_in_VA:

Call them what you want as long as they keep the trees off the lines they are A-1 in my book. I want power on not pretty views.

Pretty views are simple. Just live in a neighborhood with all buried utilities.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by TheTechGuru:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Pretty views are simple. Just live in a neighborhood with all buried utilities.

That only is available in a very small area of this very large country and to the affluent. The rest of us regular Americans have the above ground services.

My last house had underground utilities and they were constantly having to replace the underground 19.8kv feeders digging up the backyards with a front end loader. 4 times behind my house in 10 years.

Then they would damage the cable so more digging.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to Subaru

Here is some equipment power companies use.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWGIawa_Fo