Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to mattmag

Re: Autoreclosers on power lines

Nope as far as I know that whole street is still closed down. Some stuff they turned off manual last night across from the substation the power was out at night but on during the day.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Bad picture but I stopped on a road to get this picture

I wonder how they decide where to place them?

BK

join:2001-09-10
Chicago, IL

»www.gedigitalenergy.com/multilin···ndex.htm

an art and a science

it depends on the distribution design, the utility, and even the engineer working on the system. it is a very complex system because all of the equipment in play.
--

justtehfacts

@sbc.com
reply to tschmidt

said by tschmidt:

said by nunya:

All those ass hats in the NE who were bitching about the power companies cutting down their precious trees

We went through that here in NH. After a couple of serious ice storms the state gave the utilities more leeway in tree trimming.

My only complaint is Asplundh's is pretty unartistic, just cutting back branches to clear the lines. Looking down the road it looks like a gigantic creature chewed trough the trees so now they is a "C" shaped section missing around the wires. I would prefer more aggressive trimming to provide clearance but without just hacking a clear space.

We are about 600 feet off the road so I try to keep the trees pruned back along our driveway. At least along our driveway the trees still have pretty normal shape.

/tom

Asplundh is not an arborist... they are just limb janitors.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by justtehfacts :

Asplundh is not an arborist... they are just limb janitors.

Had not though of that. I assumed (know what they say about assume) that Asplundh was a general purpose arborist that the utilities used to prune trees. I took a second look at their web site. and you are correct: "Since 1928 the Asplundh Tree Expert Co. has been dedicated to safe, efficient and innovative line clearance services to the utility industry." I though a "tree expert" was the same as an "Arborist", my bad.

I'll have to remember the term "Limb Janitors."

/tom

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to BK

I two within 1,000 Ft from each other hah can't miss them that's for sure

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to tschmidt

Call them what you want as long as they keep the trees off the lines they are A-1 in my book. I want power on not pretty views.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by Jack_in_VA:

Call them what you want as long as they keep the trees off the lines they are A-1 in my book. I want power on not pretty views.

Pretty views are simple. Just live in a neighborhood with all buried utilities.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by TheTechGuru:

said by Jack_in_VA:

That only is available in a very small area of this very large country and to the affluent. The rest of us regular Americans have the above ground services.

My last house had underground utilities and they were constantly having to replace the underground 19.8kv feeders digging up the backyards with a front end loader. 4 times behind my house in 10 years.

Then they would damage the cable so more digging.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to Subaru

Here is some equipment power companies use.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWGIawa_Fo

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by TheTechGuru:

said by Jack_in_VA:

That only is available in a very small area of this very large country and to the affluent. The rest of us regular Americans have the above ground services.

My last house had underground utilities and they were constantly having to replace the underground 19.8kv feeders digging up the backyards with a front end loader. 4 times behind my house in 10 years.

Then they would damage the cable so more digging.

That's crazy. Around here we have loads of buried lines around 13kV, a lot of them under blacktop that obviously have not been disturbed in more than a decade based on the age of the blacktop over them and lack of "scars".

That utility must've used some crappy cable, or not buried it under the frost line.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Raphion:

That's crazy. Around here we have loads of buried lines around 13kV, a lot of them under blacktop that obviously have not been disturbed in more than a decade based on the age of the blacktop over them and lack of "scars".

That utility must've used some crappy cable, or not buried it under the frost line.

I think the POCO has the expertise to install and maintain their system. I was just stating some of the problems they have with buried cable that was installed in the early 80's. Around here we also have loads of buried cables in urban areas and subdivisions.

Two of the plants I worked in had underground feeders to the distribution transformers 13.8 to 480. Over the years we had failures and the cables were beneath the "FROST LINE".

I for one don't want to have to pay the extra to put them underground in my very rural area. A new subdivision is another matter where the developer can be forced to pay for it.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

With Sandy it's annoying. I'd rather have the power out than go through all the off, on junk.

Well, you got your wish! Can the power be turned back on now?

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

said by Bob4:

said by itguy05:

With Sandy it's annoying. I'd rather have the power out than go through all the off, on junk.

Well, you got your wish! Can the power be turned back on now?

Definitely don't know if I would have welcomed a 2 week power outage but when it flickers on and off many times it is annoying. At least if it goes out you know what to expect and you can deal with it rather than not knowing.

Sort of like getting a cold. You can feel it coming and all you want is for it to come so you can get over it.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

Here is some equipment power companies use.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWGIawa_Fo

I love videos like this.....

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

More better...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrdblID5as4

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to eagleknight

Esp since they used Cooper Power Systems junk, GE, Siemens are the preferred MFGs here.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Hahausuck

Na, just depressed.......

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

You know that broken pole I posted.. they still haven't picked the capacitor banks off the ground yet.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

Maybe they need a PCB haz-mat cleanup...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Not sure.. I know not far is an open fiber cover box on a pole I can see all the fiber plugs inside.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

here in ontariro, most of hydro one uses these style reclosures:

from far away, you might confuse it for a 5KVA transformer jug, but once you get closer, you will realize its a Recloser. ive had several field technicians who were new, mistaken them for a transformer, and try to request equiptment being installed on the hydro pole. lol smh

--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!