computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

New bathroom

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Storm is brewing, so I finally get time to post all the questions I've been wanting to since I'm stuck in the house.

1. Had my bathroom done last year. Fan is rated highly on Amazon:
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TJ···_s00_i02

and controlled by this:
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RL···_s00_i00

Yet in my 60 sq ft bathroom, the fan barely does anything. Is there a setting or could it have been hooked up wrong? A roofer installed a roof vent for it and the fan is hooked to that to blow outside.

I'll give an example, I close the door, and run the fan, there's too much condensation on the walls and on the ceiling. The mirror takes 10-15 minutes to clear up. If I open the door all the way (ahhh I'm naked), I still have the same results. Mirror will clear up in about 5-7 minutes instead. I might as well not even run the fan, it barely does anything!

2. The surround kit that was put up in the bathroom, the contractor said there's supposed to be gaps in the corner for it to breath. Is that true or did he do shotty work?

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

#2 those are for your disposable razors.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
reply to fartness

That is a great fan. I have the same one.

My guess is that the venting is improper. Either a flexible line which is too long, poorly routed, etc... or some other issue.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
reply to fartness

Are you able to be on the roof to check air flow from the vent exit? If you put a square of tissue up to the fan grate in the picture, does it hold there well from the suction?
--
nohup rm -fr /&

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Yes, a tissue holds fine.

Expand your moderator at work

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to fartness

Re: New bathroom

The fan won't be doing any good if there's no makeup air. Are there any HVAC vents in this bathroom? If not you'll need to keep the door slightly ajar to allow air to flow in so the vent fan can turn it over.

As for the shower surround, that sounds fishy. I'm fairly certain the rounded corners are for aesthetic reasons. If it needed to breathe, why would the rest of the perimeter be sealed with silicone? I think there's supposed to be a foam or plastic corner piece that the installer was supposed to place there - my guess would be he lost it in the packaging or simply had no clue it was even in there.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to fartness

even if there is make up air, the condensation on the mirror doesnt magically get sucked out. It's WATER, no longer in the air.

If you had proper ventilation, I'd think your mirrors wouldn't fog up to begin with.

So try taking a shower while the door is open ajar.
If that works, then you need to find a more "private" way to let air get in that bathroom.

Your tub is lacking a trim. if pic 2 is the tub/shower.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

said by alkizmo:

even if there is make up air, the condensation on the mirror doesnt magically get sucked out. It's WATER, no longer in the air.

Ideally the ventilation system is designed such that a sufficient volume of air is turned over before condensation occurs.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by pike:

said by alkizmo:

Ideally the ventilation system is designed such that a sufficient volume of air is turned over before condensation occurs.

yes I said that too.. right under the sentence you quoted

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to alkizmo

I posted that I shower with the door fully open (I live alone) and I still have these symptoms.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by fartness:

I posted that I shower with the door fully open (I live alone) and I still have these symptoms.

Then your house is sealed too well

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

Clarification, please. While it is good that the bathroom door is open when you shower to allow in replacement air, is the fan ON while you shower? Trying to exhaust a room full of condensation is harder than keeping up with it from the beginning.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Here's my shower steps:
1. In bedroom, decide I want to take shower in the next 2 minutes.
2. Walk to bathroom, turn on fan for 20 minutes, maybe even brush my teeth or go pee
3. Get nekkid
4. Throw clothes in room across the hall
5. Turn water on, commence showering.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

Not sure the procedure run down was really required, but nevertheless the answer is in there.

So at this point, we know
* you have what appears to be air movement at the entrance to the fan because you did the tissue square test.
* the room has the door open during the creation of the moist air from the shower so should be able to replace the air that it exhausts through the fan

We don't know for sure that the moist air is truly going outside through the roof vent, but that seems to be a different issue than moving enough air to counteract moist air build up.

To be determined:
* Is there something restricting maximum air flow between the fan and the roof vent exit. For example, kink in tubing or something restricting a damper at the fan exit or roof exit, or too long of a run to the vent exit
* Is the fan truly powerful enough
* Is the fan placed well within the bathroom ceiling relative to the shower

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Hope someone else has some suggestions for you.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to fartness

What temperature do you shower at? I know that I tend to take surpremely warm showers, and I've yet to find a fan that could clear the condensation out of the bathroom.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to sempergoofy

If it helps, I live in a colonial. Bathroom is on the second floor. The tubing goes from the top of the bathroom ceiling/bottom of the attic floor, on up to the roof. I can stand in my attic, but not everywhere because of where the ceiling comes down, such as what an upside down V looks like.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to fartness

When the room was redone did the contractor properly insulate the walls?

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

Insulate? Yes. Properly? I don't know. Looked fine.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

When was this done?

Depending you might be able to have the contractor come out and fix anything that might be wrong (or at least take a look at it).

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to fartness

Bath fans dont work work based on SQ when buying a fan use a Calculator this will give you the CFM needed.
--
Support
»www.minutemanproject.com/

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA

One suggestion: How to Calculate CFM for Bathroom Fan
--
nohup rm -fr /&

TekWest

join:2010-07-18
Edmonton, AB
reply to fartness

How big is the gap under your bathroom door?

It recommended to have at least a 1.5 to a 2 inch gap to provide enough air to replace what the fan is pulling out.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
reply to fartness

Ah, I went through this about one year ago.
My wife complained that her bathroom had too much moisture on the walls after her shower. This house was built in 1975, so I figured the exhaust fans in the three bathrooms were the originals. I purchased two "highly rated" exhaust fans. I forgot the brand, but they were each $130.
They were horrible. A little quieter, yes, but who really gives a damn when the shower is on? They worked so poorly, that I removed both and returned them to Menards the next day.

I cleaned up the old fans (blades/housing) and made sure the duct work heading to the roof was clear and the flappers were working properly (not sticking). The condensation problems my wife had in her bathroom were gone. And I can easily promise that if I held a tissue square up to the grate, it would be torn from my hands and blown out to the roof.

Hopefully these fans will last another 37 years. If not, I will make my own exhaust fans rather than buy the overpriced inferior bullshit available today.

sempergoofy
Premium
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to TekWest

said by TekWest:

How big is the gap under your bathroom door?

It recommended to have at least a 1.5 to a 2 inch gap to provide enough air to replace what the fan is pulling out.

The OP posted previously in the thread...

said by fartness:

--
nohup rm -fr /&
Expand your moderator at work