Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to patt2k

I lost mine in Mt Vernon, NY at about 10:45 Monday. It came back up for 3 hours today then went down again for an hour.
Now it's back. For how long is anybody's guess
Ironically, Verizon is in the process of wiring my complex for FIOS. There are about 200 of the 290 apartments ready to go. 50 or so have FIOS and never lost service. I think TW will see a mass exodus from here when the dust settles.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to patt2k

Mine came back up yesterday, after about 4 hours. Speed, latency, and lost packets were a huge issue. My AT&T 4 G connection was better, but I had to make voice over IP calls because it kept saying all circuits are busy when trying to make a regular call. Today all things seem back to normal for both Time Warner and AT&T since I woke up this morning. Let's cross our fingers that it stays that way after the FCC's report.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to Steve Mehs

I'm sorry Steve! D:

Williamsville if I remember correctly was hit pretty hard, too. Much of the Southtowns were in that list of "hit hard." Out where I was, I really didn't loose too much. I know Adelphia's network at the time had dropped off for some time in my neighborhood but later returned. Many of the cable modems my neighbors had were de-activated, redirecting to the Adelphia Walled Garden for activating modems, so many of them had to go in and punch their login information in order to re-connect. The weather also wasn't too bad, as it seems my part of WNY missed the bullet. Sure, ice fell but there were not a ton of downed trees and other garbage until into the North Tonawanda area heading South towards Buffalo into the Tonawanda and Kenmore areas. I didn't drive much that day and actually called off from work with full knowledge of what was coming, but it was certainly slippery not having any plows out to clear it.

I lucked out with the landline and DSL as it turns out, the remote I feed out of was without power during the whole time of the storm and thus, was running it's batteries to the ground until it went out the afternoon after the storm for 12 hours. When mains power returned their equipment started itself right back up without a tech roll. Guess no one was able to get a generator to it to keep the service online, but the Fiber to the remote was lit. The connections I have with Frontier never went down so I was able to fall over to that. A few folks I know however, after that storm were without power for a few weeks though. Can't imagine what that would be like. The longest I've been without power was for two days in 2002, back when National Grid had a transformer blow at a substation during the winter and we were out for 48 hours while they worked to replace it under blizzard conditions. A family relative and I were taking turns driving a generator a few miles away between our homes each time it ran out of fuel so the sump pump, some outdoor lights, the refrigerator, and the baseboard furnace (didn't have forced air at the time, but could heat to 76F quickly before fuel ran out and keep the pipes from freezing) could be operated. That was a chilly and windy day for sure.

I will say, I do have a ticket open with Verizon that's two months old for a line in North Tonawanda I take care of. Has recurring issues with it and I'm holding Verizon to it since it breaks every 6 months and they won't run Fiber to the place.

With how warm of a summer it was in the Northeast though, if the Hurricane is of any indication, Winter is going to be a big mess. One of my favorite vacation spots in Pennsylvania got hit with 14 inches of snow overnight. I can see some of that coming to WNY in the coming weeks. They're already predicting some potential snow this weekend. Looking forward to the roads being a mess again, since many of them out here are freshly paved and people can't seem to control their speed. First snow comes, I can guarantee tailgating will be abundant, lots of rear ends will be smashed in, and plenty of cars will be on the side of the road stuck in a ditch. The same stuff that happens during the summer, only worse in the winter. All of the speeding (and 0-60 in 2 seconds drivers from an intersection 500ft away) around here makes me lose my ability to gauge speed, which is quite dangerous.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
reply to patt2k

After being up all night my service went down again this AM and is still down. There are now two kinds of tenants in my building. Those with FIOS and those who have now ordered it.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

said by Pathfinder:

After being up all night my service went down again this AM and is still down. There are now two kinds of tenants in my building. Those with FIOS and those who have now ordered it.

At least you can get FiOS. You are lucky when it comes to that. All I can get is TWC or DSL. I been having problems with my connection since the end of August way before the hurricane. I swapped the modem six times and now own one. Same crap the modem shows it is connected fine but the connection goes dead and I can't ping crap then after about 20 or so minutes it is working again. Signal strength from the modem page shows great levels. Connection is fine for about two weeks then starts up again. Like I said TWC is my only option.

adrman
Premium
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to patt2k

Lost internet on Monday night when the power went down. I had my system on a battery backup, but still nothing. Internet came back up with the power at 4am today.

Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY
reply to patt2k

No video or web outages here in Hilton NY, Digital phone or w/e its calling it self these days is experiencing some hiccups. Calling out im getting a human recording saying due to network congestion blah blah. and incoming calls are getting a " all Circuits are busy" but other than that i never lost anything during the storm here.

usrules

@optonline.net

Weird stuff happening to TWC in NYC zip 10075. Service went down in at least 2 buildings in our area (that I know of) Saturday 11/3 way after the storm has passed... We are out for 3 days now and they have no clue when service will be restored. CSR told me there is an issue with CMTS not with the cabling FWIW...