uniqs
share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Ubuntu 12.04 wifi card keeps disconnecting.

I thought I sat the damn thing up for auto. log in. Even entered and saved the password. But it keeps disconnecting and prompting for password.
The network card is a generic G type.

I thought it was my router, but the wired side of the network seems stable.

*Note: This was happening before the Storm.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

lugnut

@look.ca
Scan your neighbourhood and see how many signals are in range. Chances are your neighbourhood is crowding the airwaves and walking all over your channel.

I had the same problem last year and had to upgrade my router and my laptop and netbook wifi cards to N class. That's the only thing that will work. The wireless G spectrum is lousy these days with everything from telephones to wireless security cams and every Tom, Dick and Harry owns a tablet and a laptop these days.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
My router does have N capabilities. I'll keep an eye out for a N network card. Hoping I can find one locally under 20 bucks.

lugnut

@look.ca
I found a couple of atheros N cards for my laptops on Ebay selling from China. They were about $10 a piece and pulled from a Macbook.

They work perfectly...

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I made the mistake of buying a USB OTG [On the go] cable from a seller on Amazon.
He either didn't list where it was shipping from, or I didn't see it. Anyhow it's shipping from China and I'll get it in another 2 to 3 weeks.

lol.

I could risk a drive to Microcenter and pick one up. My last trip there resulted in me getting pulled over by a cop. No ticket, just advice on how to use traffic lanes and their markings.. lol. Never went back since then.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

lugnut

@look.ca
In my case I was looking for a very specific micro form factor Atheros card which I knew would run with Linux and wouldn't require my screwing around with ndiswrapper and would actually fit in my Acer Laptop and Netbook.

Anyway, long story short, the cards arrived from Hong Kong 10 days later, fit perfectly and the kernel recognized them right away so they really were a plug n play solution.

And the best part? I did the replacements myself so total cost was under $25 for both machines. I haven't had a random disconnect since.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I've been pondering upgrading the wifi nic for awhile. I only have three bars shown, the speed [at it's fastest] is 34mps. The router is only 15 feet away from the computer. I'd do another network over power line, but I already am using one for the upstairs.
--