spc
Search similar:

uniqs
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Three season room to four season room

We just recently finished some hardscaping. As part of our ongoing home improvement project, we're turning a three season room into a four season room. Today was the first day of demolition.

I'll post pics in the next message.

2 edits

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
The sliding glass door that used to lead from the eat-in kitchen area is going to be relocated to the outside wall (where a door is/was). The flooring from the inside will then be extended in an outward arc with a step-down into the four season room floor. The floor will be the same stone as the flooring in the eat-in kitchen.

We're going to vault the ceilings and make the outside mostly glass. We're also going to put in a couple of skylights.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
How are you heating and cooling this?

Looks like this will be a very nice addition. We talked about doing one on our house as well, because it would help cut the sun on the living room and give us a place to enjoy the seasons.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

Electric radiant in addition to tapping into the forced air.

Thanks. For us we hope to get some additional light into the eat-in area. The way it is now, the light gets blocked by the existing three season room. I'd imagine you'd want to be careful about how you go about doing the room so that you don't cut off too much light.

I think these types of room add value. Hopefully that's not wishful thinking.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by 67845017:

I think these types of room add value. Hopefully that's not wishful thinking.

Well if it became qualified as "living space" then ya it added value.
If I was shopping for a house, and there were two identical houses, one with a 3 season room (basically useless in winter) and the other with a 4 season room, I'd consider the one with the 4 season room to be worth more, as the space is real space, not just some sheltered deck.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

From my understanding, it counts as living space.

The only issue I have with it is that the house is basically worth $175/sf. That tracks with recent sales in the area, similarly updated homes, etc. The room, which is only 200 sf is costing about $40K, so it's not too bad. But it's still more than the cost of the home.

At some point it's diminishing returns. Maybe we can, but I'm not convinced we will get an additional $35K for the house. If the housing market comes back someday, maybe. I do know that we'll pay extra property taxes. Of course.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
My fire pit looks just like that. A summers worth of sticks and twigs that fall in the yard.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Yeah, it's the twig dumping ground. We burned that batch not too long ago. It's an excuse for the kids to eat s'mores.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to 67845017

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

The only issue I have with it is that the house is basically worth $175/sf. That tracks with recent sales in the area, similarly updated homes, etc. The room, which is only 200 sf is costing about $40K, so it's not too bad. But it's still more than the cost of the home.

At some point it's diminishing returns. Maybe we can, but I'm not convinced we will get an additional $35K for the house.

You rarely get more $$$ in the market value than what you invested. However to YOU it is worth more. If you were to sell your house and buy another identical house with that room already finished, you'd be losing on the realtor commission and municipal "welcome" tax.

Never add extensions to a house only because you want to resell higher. You'll never get your money back.

Real estate developers make their profits because they pay less for construction than you would­.

I'm surprised it cost you 40k$ though for that conversion. The structure was already in place. Were there structural changes?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

The windows are expensive and they're doing quite a bit of work on it. The flooring will be expensive as well. We're using fairly high quality materials. I'll post up today's pics.

Yeah, I know it won't add much to the value. I just want it to keep reasonable pace.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by 67845017:

Yeah, I know it won't add much to the value. I just want it to keep reasonable pace.

Well there you go That's another BIG reason why people never get the same money in added market value vs. investment.

People pay for high quality materials that don't transfer in the market value. It's sad but true.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

But, it's worth it to Goober and his wife. That's what counts. Looks great so far, Goob.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
Click for full size
Click for full size
I like what I see.
6 years ago we had this 3 season room built. It's on the north side of the house and it's 12'x20' with 2x6 framed walls with premium 7/8" thermopane glass. We left the original sliding door in, which is between the dining room & 3 season porch. As for the inside porch wall against the house, we left the flat wood siding on and drywalled over that. All the others were done in lodge pole pine.

FYI: In the winter, the temp in the porch with sliding door open and the kitchen window open (double hung with both half's & screen removed) will run 10 degrees cooler than the house. Also 10 degrees warmer in the summer. For heat, we have a 240v 4000w (puts out about 14,000btu's) small in wall electric heater with auto thermostat & fan installed. We turn it on when we want to warm it up. After xmas, we close up the door & window until mid March, as it gets cold with all that glass, even though it was built to code & inspected. Since it was classified as 3 season, we didn't have to extend/upgrade the heat/ac system. We installed the electric heater after the final inspection. We also had all the other windows replaced, and the entire home sided. Hole in floor/carpet was for an outlet.

I would suspect your porch will probably be 10-12 degrees cooler with the concrete floor in the winter. Bottom line: we both talked about doing this for 4-5 years B4 we pulled the trigger in '06. Should have done it sooner.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Looks really nice. But why isn't your space considered a 4 season room?

I suspect our space will be cooler because of the concrete floor. But with the radiant and tie in to the forced air, I'm hopeful that the cold won't be noticeable. Your comment does make me worry, since we don't plan on having a door separating the space.

67845017 (banned)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Last pic has the drawings used for the permit.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

That's going be so sweet looking when it's done. It'll add a new dimension to the look of the house.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Thanks. We hope so too. The one thing it has done is flood the eat in kitchen area with a ton of light. It's really nice. Once the skylights go in, there will be even more light.

I'm excited to see what the work look like. I've been traveling since Mondsy and haven't had a chance to see what they've done in person.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

But why isn't your space considered a 4 season room?

It's considered 3 season by code since we didn't extend the furnace ductwork into the room, plus we might have had to upgrade the furnace capacity due to the extra sq footage.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
You soon will be eating all your meals out there. Well, basically living out there.

Growing up in Buffalo Grove we had a glassed in room-you will be surprised at how much you will use that even in the winter. When the sun is out, it doesn't take much to keep it nice and warm. (We didn't have duct extended-in Lake County considered it a "cold room" and didn't increase taxes.

My parents moved to a new place years ago, and have a room with better windows/extended the duct, and they use it pretty much year round as well.

When I visit, we always eat outside. We get to look at all the neighbors who spent $$$ on decks. Odd, I never see anybody on them. Oh, wait-I think I have-he was out sealing/staining/cleaning it.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

said by wth:

said by 67845017:

But why isn't your space considered a 4 season room?

It's considered 3 season by code since we didn't extend the furnace ductwork into the room, plus we might have had to upgrade the furnace capacity due to the extra sq footage.

Makes sense. I think I recall the subject of HVAC sizing coming up with us as well.
said by jrs8084:

You soon will be eating all your meals out there. Well, basically living out there.

Growing up in Buffalo Grove we had a glassed in room-you will be surprised at how much you will use that even in the winter. When the sun is out, it doesn't take much to keep it nice and warm. (We didn't have duct extended-in Lake County considered it a "cold room" and didn't increase taxes.

My parents moved to a new place years ago, and have a room with better windows/extended the duct, and they use it pretty much year round as well.

When I visit, we always eat outside. We get to look at all the neighbors who spent $$$ on decks. Odd, I never see anybody on them. Oh, wait-I think I have-he was out sealing/staining/cleaning it.

I didn't like going into the three season room because it always just felt like an outdoor place. Dusty and outside smelling and feeling.

My wife is very enthusiastic about this room, since she liked the three season anyway. I'm curious, but probably not as interested. This room isn't that big (200 sf), so I don't know whether we'll be comfortable hanging out there all the time. Also, the TV will likely be relatively smaller (37"-40"), which will mean the kids won't be out there terribly much. But if the wife likes it . . . it's fine.
I do hope it gets a lot of use, though.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the deck. we like decks--as long as they're in other people's homes. We opted instead to just go paver patio. The thought of the upkeep required on a deck was too much for me to mentally handle.

On a different note, any other connections needed other than for CATV? Suggestions for the number and type of lights? Any other recommendations?

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

"Dusty and outside smelling and feeling"

Well, I guess if you leave it closed off from your house and open a bunch of windows, but it really is going to be like any other room. I assume you will put down a carpet out there.

I do not prefer when the rooms are built on decks-those do feel different.

You will like this more than you think.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Hopefully as a 4-season it'll be more like a part of the house. But you're right. Previously it was really used more as a covered porch than anything. We never treated it like a part of the house.

We'll be putting travertine tile flooring down. It will be a continuation of the same stone and pattern that we used in the kitchen/eating area. We felt the continuity would look better than using a different type/color/material of flooring. But, I go back and forth on that.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by 67845017:

Hopefully as a 4-season it'll be more like a part of the house.

If you want it to be part of the house, I'd remove those patio sliding doors (Maybe that's already part of the plan).

Even better would be to completely take down the wall, or open it up more.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Yeah, the sliding doors are going from between the house and the existing room to being the sliding door leading from the outside into the 4-season room. And where the straight edge step down was for the sliding door, we'll be extending the step outwards somewhat and putting a gentle arc on it.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
Looks like it is coming along nicely.

As for your catv question I'd have a couple of coax lines and cat5e dropped in on a couple of the walls adjacent to the electrical outlets. That way if you have a tv near or perhap an Ethernet device or telephone near you can plug
it in.

I know you probably have wifi like everyone else but you never know.....

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to 67845017

MVM

to 67845017
What are they planning to do to stop the roof from pushing the side walls out now that the ceiling joists are gone? I thought they might be going to put in a post in the outside wall and a little bigger ridge beam to carry the load that way, but with your latest pictures it doesn't look like they are going that route. I could see them putting in small collar ties up at the top and giving you a 2' wide flat ceiling at the peak, or I could see them putting a couple beams in at the 8' height to hold the walls in.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Hahausuck

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

As for your catv question I'd have a couple of coax lines and cat5e dropped in on a couple of the walls adjacent to the electrical outlets. That way if you have a tv near or perhap an Ethernet device or telephone near you can plug
it in.

I know you probably have wifi like everyone else but you never know.....

Yeah, good point. I hadn't thought Ethernet in that room, but it may be a good way to go. Certainly it wouldn't cost very much to do that in case anyone ever wanted it.

1 edit

67845017 (banned) to Ken

to Ken
said by Ken:

What are they planning to do to stop the roof from pushing the side walls out now that the ceiling joists are gone? I thought they might be going to put in a post in the outside wall and a little bigger ridge beam to carry the load that way, but with your latest pictures it doesn't look like they are going that route. I could see them putting in small collar ties up at the top and giving you a 2' wide flat ceiling at the peak, or I could see them putting a couple beams in at the 8' height to hold the walls in.

Excellent question. I have no idea. I'm going to ask them that right away. That'll be part of my "add canned lights/coax line/Cat5e request".

Edit: Apparently code requires metal brackets like the Simpson Strong-Ties. Those had been used in our prior remodel. The contractor now will be using those as well.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

1 edit

Hahausuck to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
Yeah if your coax runs go to the same place adding some cat cabling shouldn't increase labor too much, majority of it would be in the termination.

Also I agree with your statement on high hat lighting. Are you going to go traditional floods or use LED ?

Edit to clarify

Should point out my earlier post meant two coax runs and two category cable runs PER BOX.

This gives you an option to have two Ethernet runs or an ethernet and a phone or two etc.

Look into Leviton or Pass and Seymore for plates and keystones. They have various decor options these days and chances are your house wall plates are already one of the two brands (Likely Leviton).

My preference is Leviton, I have installed countless numbers of keystones and plates in my previous career and they have always been good for the majority of installations.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Does the bulb make a difference in terms of fixture I have to use? If so, it may be too late for LEDs.

Leviton (Quickport) is what I've used in the past for HTPC stuff. I could use that in this case. I feel like running speaker wire also, just in case. It would piss the wife off, though.